New mft update | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New mft update

Wow.. the 3.5.1 update significantly improves performance and reliability. MFT has not rebooted once since I installed it early last week. You can always claim there is a problem with MFT. Tell your service department it reboots regularly while you are driving, and runs really slow. They HAVE to perform the TSB based on those concerns.

You can also get Rebecca, or Cory/Gina involved if your dealer still refuses to do the update for you.

I have 3.2.2 installed and continue to have issues with Travel Link Weather freezing. It happens every 6 weeks or so and is rectified by either a fuse pull or System Reset. I usually do the fuse pull so I don't have to reset up the phone. (I can almost do the fuse pull in the dark now.) Messaging seems to have gone AWOL in the 3.2.2

I do see this latest 3.5.1 update is not available for download. Does anyone else continue to have issues with the weather? This has been a continuous issue through all the updates so far, but problems have become somewhat less frequent. (Used to be every 2 weeks.)

My problem is I only have about 6K miles left on warranty. I have been pretty patient because I like the Explorer and all the tech. I guess I will go back to the dealer one more time under warranty to document the persistent issues before the warranty expires. This has been my longest time without a trip to the dealer.

Rebecca, or Cory/Gina - Are my problems unique or are they still being worked in the updates? Will unresolved issues under warranty be covered?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe My Ford Touch got an extra year warranty on it as part of the TSB programs.

So you should be good.

I do see this latest 3.5.1 update is not available for download. Does anyone else continue to have issues with the weather?
Now that you mention it, I do. I would like our Winters here to be a little warmer and the Summers a little cooler. Other than that, I don't have any issues with the weather.:D:D

The latest version is not available for downloading because it has to be done by the dealer. It also requires the dealer to install a new A4 SD card for the navigation.
I guess I've been very fortunate in that I haven't had the rebooting issue since leaving V2.4 behind.
I believe Sgt1411 is correct in that the warranty on this system is extended by 1 year. Good luck.

Peter

Now that you mention it, I do. I would like our Winters here to be a little warmer and the Summers a little cooler. Other than that, I don't have any issues with the weather.:D:D

The latest version is not available for downloading because it has to be done by the dealer. It also requires the dealer to install a new A4 SD card for the navigation.
I guess I've been very fortunate in that I haven't had the rebooting issue since leaving V2.4 behind.
I believe Sgt1411 is correct in that the warranty on this system is extended by 1 year. Good luck.

Peter

3.2.2 has been a problem... Rebooting, freezing back up screen, switching inputs on start-up, black screen slower start-up and more. I had much better luck with the last up-grade. Time for 3.5.1?

I believe My Ford Touch got an extra year warranty on it as part of the TSB programs.

So you should be good.

Time wise I have another 13 months. The problem is I am at 30K miles. I will probably hit 36K in the first quarter. Are you saying the miles don't matter, MFT will be covered for 48 months?

It seems strange they are updating the SD Nav card again already. Anyone know why?

Time wise I have another 13 months. The problem is I am at 30K miles. I will probably hit 36K in the first quarter. Are you saying the miles don't matter, MFT will be covered for 48 months?

It seems strange they are updating the SD Nav card again already. Anyone know why?

Yes 4 years for APIM/MFT as part of an earlier TSB.

Go up to the Sticky Threads on this forum and under TSB's see if you can find the one that talks about additional year of coverage for APIM/MFT.

I did a master reset on Friday and weather updates returned although the system feels a bit sluggish. I made an appointment to have my 3.5.1 w the new A4 card tomorrow morning, right now the weather updates is still holding but yesterday the charts disappeared and two hours later on another trip decided to show randomly!!! I still think is a memory issue, is like when i have an old PC and buy a new game like Battlefield 3 which is very complex i get the same issues like slowing down in the graphics,reboots and graphics that sometimes show up and sometimes not. This charts are overlays and require plenty of memory available to handle the tasks. Since they are not changing the processors or internal memory what they are doing is tinkering with the code or program. They have been modifying so that it can handle the additional loads. When you do that with software alone is really tricky and the result is some updates that are unstable, which is the reason why sometimes work and other times either quits or slows down. Hopefully 3.5.1 is more stable and i hope they learn for the next gen of MFT go the extra mile and use bigger RAM to handle all those gimmicks!!!

I did a master reset on Friday and weather updates returned although the system feels a bit sluggish. I made an appointment to have my 3.5.1 w the new A4 card tomorrow morning, right now the weather updates is still holding but yesterday the charts disappeared and two hours later on another trip decided to show randomly!!! I still think is a memory issue, is like when i have an old PC and buy a new game like Battlefield 3 which is very complex i get the same issues like slowing down in the graphics,reboots and graphics that sometimes show up and sometimes not. This charts are overlays and require plenty of memory available to handle the tasks. Since they are not changing the processors or internal memory what they are doing is tinkering with the code or program. They have been modifying so that it can handle the additional loads. When you do that with software alone is really tricky and the result is some updates that are unstable, which is the reason why sometimes work and other times either quits or slows down. Hopefully 3.5.1 is more stable and i hope they learn for the next gen of MFT go the extra mile and use bigger RAM to handle all those gimmicks!!!
Had to do another reset in less than a week with no weather connection. I still can't get the messaging to work either. Nice to know we have a couple more years to get it right. Keep us informed. I am still curious what the A4 Nav upgrade does. Performance, Nav Data, or Both.

I have 3.2.2 installed and continue to have issues with Travel Link Weather freezing. It happens every 6 weeks or so and is rectified by either a fuse pull or System Reset. I usually do the fuse pull so I don't have to reset up the phone. (I can almost do the fuse pull in the dark now.) Messaging seems to have gone AWOL in the 3.2.2

I do see this latest 3.5.1 update is not available for download. Does anyone else continue to have issues with the weather? This has been a continuous issue through all the updates so far, but problems have become somewhat less frequent. (Used to be every 2 weeks.)

My problem is I only have about 6K miles left on warranty. I have been pretty patient because I like the Explorer and all the tech. I guess I will go back to the dealer one more time under warranty to document the persistent issues before the warranty expires. This has been my longest time without a trip to the dealer.

Rebecca, or Cory/Gina - Are my problems unique or are they still being worked in the updates? Will unresolved issues under warranty be covered?

I remember reading something from IVT a long while back that the weather issue is related to a problem with the nav card. Just pop your SD card out and press it back in, the weather should rebuild in a few minutes (when it gets its next update). I have used that method and it works about 90% of the time, sometimes I have to try more than once or wait until the next time I drive, but I haven't had to do a reset or fuse pull to clear the frozen weather since I started to reset the SD card.

Hi, everyone!

I just posted this in the thread titled NEW NAVIGATION CARD? (A4), but figured I'd post it here too. :) Here are a couple answers to the most popular questions you've all asked:

When will this be available on SYNCMyRide.com? For those of you without NAV, it will be available for download in a couple weeks. Those of you with NAV, you'll be able to download the update and order a new SD card starting in early January. You may also visit your dealer if you don't wish to update your MFT on your own.

What improvements does this new software deliver? This new software update, developed in partnership with Microsoft, delivers on our promise to continuously improve the system based on customer feedback. Software Version 3.5 features improvements, including:
• Simplified Bluetooth® phone pairing: When pairing, the driver simply has to hit “OK” if the PIN on the phone and touch screen match each other
• More natural voice recognition: Drivers can now simply say “Play <name>” when requesting a specific artist, song, album or genre of music (i.e. “Play jazz” versus “Play genre jazz”)
• Improved voice recognition accuracy: The latest version of Nuance’s speech software, VoCon® 3200 v4.2, improves overall voice recognition performance
• Flattened audio command structure: At any time, drivers can say the station frequency, “AM 760,” or the official name of the Sirius station, like “Hits 1,” to tune in; drivers no longer need to say “Radio” or “Sirius” to indicate their desire to listen to those audio sources
• Navigation controls simplified: The destination entry screen has been improved to help make it easier to enter an address.

Please let me know what other questions you may have!

Rebecca

That's awesome. Thanks for the update

Hi, everyone!

I just posted this in the thread titled NEW NAVIGATION CARD? (A4), but figured I'd post it here too. :) Here are a couple answers to the most popular questions you've all asked:

When will this be available on SYNCMyRide.com? For those of you without NAV, it will be available for download in a couple weeks. Those of you with NAV, you'll be able to download the update and order a new SD card starting in early January. You may also visit your dealer if you don't wish to update your MFT on your own.

What improvements does this new software deliver? \

Please let me know what other questions you may have!

Rebecca

Thanks, sounds like some nice improvements. I don't see anything on your list about the travel link weather lock ups. Does Ford recognize this issue?

Travel link weather related issues

If you have updated to 3.5.1 and the A4 Nav Card and perceive that the weather map is not updating just let it update. I initially though that was the case but i was wrong. I noticed that after i left the car a few days in the garage the map was ok coming out with all the graphics, then it will update and all the graphics will disappear. What was happening is that the data was old and was in fact updating. I started to measure the time and found out after the radio has good reception the updates to include the isobars will happen somewhere between 5-10 minutes. Once it has updated the map will continuously update but you won't notice because very little data would change while driving. Remember this data comes in a signal and takes time to upload.

Hey everyone. Not only am I new to this site but also new to Ford overall. Well, least for the first time in fifteen years. I recently traded a 2011 Nissan Frontier for a shiny, loaded 2013 Explorer Limited. I absolutely love it. My only complaint is that I didn't get one sooner.

Tomorrow I go to my local dealer for the 3.5.1 update and the new A4 chip. I have been running 3.2.2 for the last three weeks since I bought the car new with very few problems.

I'm wondering, should I expect any issues following my dealer visit tomorrow? I'm hoping that even post-update, things continue to run as smoothly as they have been. I have only driven the car about 123 miles since new, I will admit however.

Thanks in advance.
Justin

Hey everyone. Not only am I new to this site but also new to Ford overall. Well, least for the first time in fifteen years. I recently traded a 2011 Nissan Frontier for a shiny, loaded 2013 Explorer Limited. I absolutely love it. My only complaint is that I didn't get one sooner.

Tomorrow I go to my local dealer for the 3.5.1 update and the new A4 chip. I have been running 3.2.2 for the last three weeks since I bought the car new with very few problems.

I'm wondering, should I expect any issues following my dealer visit tomorrow? I'm hoping that even post-update, things continue to run as smoothly as they have been. I have only driven the car about 123 miles since new, I will admit however.

Thanks in advance.
Justin
Welcome to the Forum Justin.:wavey:
If you haven't already, you should register at www.syncmyride.com and open your account. It will show you the latest update that your vehicle has. You will likely have to update the info after you have V3.5.1 installed. It can be done by running a Vehicle Health Report or by downloading the Status Checker tool program and following the instructions.
Good luck and happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

I did do the sync my ride registration... That's where I got the Gen2 3.2.2 info.

I'm just hoping tomorrow goes smoothly. I love this car!

So to ask another question, is there any reason I should not be upgrading to version 3.5.1 and the new A4 nav chip? I have been at the dealer since this morning at 9am and no one here is familiar with the TSB 12-11-1 with these instructions. They are telling me its 'misleading' and they must verify with Ford. I'm still waiting....

So to ask another question, is there any reason I should not be upgrading to version 3.5.1 and the new A4 nav chip? I have been at the dealer since this morning at 9am and no one here is familiar with the TSB 12-11-1 with these instructions. They are telling me its 'misleading' and they must verify with Ford. I'm still waiting....
Everyone will eventually have to be updated since the next upgrade will no doubt be based on V3.5.1. All they have to do is look up the TSB on their computer. That is all mine did. They then verified my VIN and set up an appointment to install it.
Before they do anything at all you should make sure they even have the A4 SD cards on hand.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I'm in the waiting room now. They do have A4 cards in stock I'm told. The only confusion seems to be with the software load. I'm not sure what is so confusing about it! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's awesome. Thanks for the update

You're welcome! :)

Thanks, sounds like some nice improvements. I don't see anything on your list about the travel link weather lock ups. Does Ford recognize this issue?

I will check into it and let you know.

Thanks, Peter. I'm in the waiting room now. They do have A4 cards in stock I'm told. The only confusion seems to be with the software load. I'm not sure what is so confusing about it! :)

Did they install 3.5 for you, JustAiks? If not, send me your VIN, dealer info, approximate mileage, and best contact phone number.

Thanks, Peter, for helping JustAiks!!

Rebecca

Back