New Noise After Oil Change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Noise After Oil Change

KennyPowers55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
I bought my 2014 Explorer with ~34k on it. I just got my first oil change at 40k. I now get a high pitched whining sound when I go around 40 and over, but it also happens at lower speeds sometimes.It also just turned cold here in New England so maybe it is a coincidence? Performance doesn't seem to be impacted but the change of sound has me puzzled. Any help is appreciated.

edit: Just realized they also did a tire rotation with the oil change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt the oil change had anything to do with the new noise, but did you correctly check the oil level. It's done hot on a level surface. Shut down the engine and wait 15-20 minutes then check the oil level. I think it has something more to do with the onset of the colder temps or coincidence. You could waste a lot of time and money chasing this. I'd take it to a mechanic you trust and they can put it on the lift and run it in gear to the speed you say it happens and they can listen to see if they can isolate the source of the noise. It could be wheel bearing, ABS sensors, water pump, belt guides or belt tensioners. In the end it would be cheaper find the actual source through diagnostics rather than guess and throw parts at it.

Whimsey

I bought my 2014 Explorer with ~34k on it. I just got my first oil change at 40k. I now get a high pitched whining sound when I go around 40 and over, but it also happens at lower speeds sometimes.It also just turned cold here in New England so maybe it is a coincidence? Performance doesn't seem to be impacted but the change of sound has me puzzled. Any help is appreciated.
Do you have the factory tow package? If so, I wonder if the lower air intake was properly reinstalled.

Peter

Do you have the factory tow package? If so, I wonder if the lower air intake was properly reinstalled.

Peter

I do. I checked the lower intake and it seemed ok.

I doubt the oil change had anything to do with the new noise, but did you correctly check the oil level. It's done hot on a level surface. Shut down the engine and wait 15-20 minutes then check the oil level. I think it has something more to do with the onset of the colder temps or coincidence. You could waste a lot of time and money chasing this. I'd take it to a mechanic you trust and they can put it on the lift and run it in gear to the speed you say it happens and they can listen to see if they can isolate the source of the noise. It could be wheel bearing, ABS sensors, water pump, belt guides or belt tensioners. In the end it would be cheaper find the actual source through diagnostics rather than guess and throw parts at it.

Whimsey

I checked the oil after driving a few miles but enough to get the car up to temp. I did not let it sit the 15-20 minutes. We are experiencing colder temps where I live and it just so happened to coincide with the oil change.

I don't plan on guessing and throwing parts at it. I plan on going back to the place that changed the oil I just wanted to get a little knowledge first in case they try to snowjob me.

A pillar or front cowl rattle?

It doesn't sound like a rattle. It's more like a high pitched whining sound. I typically only drive it to work and back which is a pretty short drive (7 miles) . Last night I drove it a little bit further than usual and the noise seemed to quiet down.

The normal engine, wheels, car sounds are still there, but there is a higher pitched noise on top of it, if that makes any sense. I have had wheel bearings go bad before (although not on an explorer) and it doesn't sound like that.

edit: So I just looked at the paperwork I was given and they also did a tire rotation. That seems like it could be a more likely culprit?

It doesn't sound like a rattle. It's more like a high pitched whining sound. I typically only drive it to work and back which is a pretty short drive (7 miles) . Last night I drove it a little bit further than usual and the noise seemed to quiet down.

The normal engine, wheels, car sounds are still there, but there is a higher pitched noise on top of it, if that makes any sense. I have had wheel bearings go bad before (although not on an explorer) and it doesn't sound like that.

edit: So I just looked at the paperwork I was given and they also did a tire rotation. That seems like it could be a more likely culprit?
I would think if it was the tires that you would have noticed it before but I guess anything is possible. Are they the OEM tires?

Peter

So I finally brought it back to the dealer today. It turned out to be the PTU. It had to be replaced. It was covered under warranty but they still charged me $100. Seems a little weird that this part failed literally the day of or after an oil change. Am I being overly suspicious?

Back