13225img_0020.jpg

13225img_0019.jpg

13225img_0018.jpg

13225img_0017.jpg

13225img_0016.jpg

13225img_0015.jpg

13225img_0014.jpg

13225img_0013.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you going to lift those bumpers up?

you going to lift those bumpers up?
other than that, that is one BAD@SS front end.

good looking x, but you HAVE to lift those bumpers up. It just doesn't look right with that gap.

lift the bumpers!!! Is it ok to use a front winch on a lifted bumper? Would it wrip off?

No, I won't be lifting the bumper ;)

1) No impact absorption power after lifting the bumper
2) I have a 4" SuperLift coming in on Tuesday, so I'll probably be removing the body lift after I get that on.

why dont you use the superlift and keep the BL and raise the bumpers. The BL is already installed and it would look nice. Than get 35 under there!! And also lift the bumpers. Do you plan on running into things (Impact absorption)...

Originally posted by AdamsGuitar
1) No impact absorption power after lifting the bumper
Excellent observation!! And one that is often overlooked.

Originally posted by sapogmxr
And also lift the bumpers. Do you plan on running into things (Impact absorption)...

People don't usually plan on running into things, accidents happen. If he wants to leave his bumpers the way they are because of safety reasons I support him. Like Robb said, it is often overlooked.

when i posted that i knew that some one would say accidents happen. Do what you want its your truck, but after all that work i just think it would look better with the bumper lifted. When i lifted mine, impact absorption was on my mind but after i thought of it for about 5 minutes i decided to lift it...

Keep the body lift and add the suspension lift. Raise the bumper.. You have lost alot of the impact benifits anyway with the brush gaurd and winch.

However, that bumper has little to no impact absorption properties anyway. Its not like a car where it has to have 5MPH bumpers, they're just metal bolted to the frame.

I would think you'd get that thing hung up offroad...

Stephen is correct. newer model cars/trucks are not designed to use the bumper to absorb much impact energy. the bumper is there only for low speed fender-bender protection. i can understand why you left it down, but it's really not gonna help matters in a crash over 5-10mph.

Originally posted by james t
Stephen is correct. newer model cars/trucks are not designed to use the bumper to absorb much impact energy. the bumper is there only for low speed fender-bender protection. i can understand why you left it down, but it's really not gonna help matters in a crash over 5-10mph.

The bumper ain't gonna do anything for a 5-10 mph crash either. there is literally NOTHING to the bumper other than a flat piece of steel that mounts to the frame rails. My old Acura had all sorts of shock absorbing material in the bumper but my Explorer just has plastic and weak, mild steel. I thought about this too, and then realized if I hit anything, its going to mess up the front of my truck with the bumper raised or not.

I don't mean that the bumper is going to make it so I wouldn't feel the impact of the woman that rearended my best friend (who was driving my truck a couple of weeks ago when this happened) at 45mph, I'm saying that it wouldn't just bend out of the way to clear the path for the low nose of that accord to go plowing into my rear diffy and cause all manner of damage, instead of just some body damage :)

I've thought about keeping the BL, but it will be hard to get into. I'd like to run 35's, but that's a good bit of money, and I just bought these 33's ;P

Perhaps I'll keep the BL and put some black lawn edging in the gap to fill it in, but I'd rather not have the BL at all. I don't know, I'll have to decide when I put on the SuperLift.

if we're voting, i say take the body lift off and just run the suspension lift. it will be plenty of lift for 33's. :)

Nice pics, sweet front... does that spare have a twisted washer as well? I'm not a fan of wingnuts per se by themselves.
I need to get my spare out of the back (held down with cinch straps which works nicely and looks neat, but I'd rather try to get it back undereneath.
On top doesn't work for me with the boats up there most of the spring, summer and fall.
Good show.

If I recall (I should be on the road by now but ...), some 31s will fit underneath, some wont? REdrig has an 01 where it fits fine, I believe the guy at JackWilliams Tire told me a 31 wouldnt fit under there... I guess time will tell. I could easily keep it in the back during a trip to Paragon or something, but I dont want to NOT keep the spare on the vehicle if Im going to SAMs or something and think I'll need the back for goods... Hmmmmm.

Back