New trans adapter kit avaliable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New trans adapter kit avaliable

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmmm, imagine a 4R70W or AOD behind the 4.0. It's a beefier tranny than the 700R4!

Price is great too. Wonder if it will actualy happen

Whatcha talking about? It has been made, he is taking orders. He used a 1st gen explorer as his test vehicle...the stock a4 puked at the first run he took it on over the summer haha.

I unstuck this thread. The guy who is making the kits will post in this forum and that thread will be stuck.

The link says he needs 5 people to put in deposits and then he will start makeing them. THe list of deposits remains empty. Thats what i mean

Ah ok sorry haha i didn't read that part.

Well, I made it through registering here! :thumbsup:

I am much better at working with steel than I am with computers. And please don't mind the spelling!

I am glad that you folks are interested in my new adapter. As Code knows, I have been working on it since this past summer when my a4ld took a dump on me. :thumbdwn:

I have just offered it for sale this morning. I did not want to release it until the first "test subject" had been proven to work. It now has been started and run, all was well!

I plan to make post with a detailed write up on that first install very soon.

Rookie, I expect that it wont take long to get 5 orders with as fast as the a4lds drop, but I guess time will tell. I don't honestly expect to sell 5 the first day.

And Code, the first one went in Matt's ranger with a 2.9, 435, and 205. MY stuff always comes last ya know.

I must also thank Rick for inviting me to his fine site and allowing me to offer my wares to you all. I will make my "post" in the morn as I am just beat tonight. Thanks again Rick!

Wow that sure looks like an unGodly amount of work just to get a better transmission...! You have to replace the starter, flywheel, flexplate, full size transfer case, and modify the oil filter location, Y-pipe and crossmember. Sorry guys, but I'd rather build a stronger A4Ld or flat out do a 302/4r70w swap than go through all that. Props to Gremlin for his inventiveness though :thumbsup:

Not a lot of work Spas, just a lot of new components... All BEEFIER than what came stock in the Explorer. :thumbsup:

I honestly dont see why this swap should take more than a little extra time over a regular a4ld swap. Ofcourse one thing that hasnt been mentioned yet is driveshafts.

This is the shop that has done pretty much all the work on my B2, both mech and fab and he will be doing my 4.0, trans and D35/8.8 swap. He knows his stuff. Belive me, if I had the cash for a differant trans I would be buying this kit in a heart beat so I could ditch the A4LD for an AOD or something stronger. :thumbsup: He is also working on a 208 or 1350 doubler that I would love to put in.
http://www.rrorc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26024
This guy lives to build this stuff and is good at it too. :thumbsup:

Man thats a great doubler idea. The "stubbler" as he calls it once. I never imagened one being made that short. Now I am all lost trying to decide which route I want to take. DOnt the 1350 and the 1354 mounting? I think the only difference as far as bolting it on is how the driveshafts work?

4r70w behind a 4.0L will also require a Baumman stand alone trans controller.

The power loss through the larger auto (C6/AOD/4r70w) will also be much greater then with the A4LD.

Will be great if you can use a C4 behind the 4.0l without having to locate the hard to get C5 bellhousing!!! Awesome!

This is a great alternative, just make sure you understand what you are getting into before trashing your A4LD, So many times it takes months to get the bugs worked out/all correct parts, not just a weekend, when doing trans conversions.

Looks easier and more stout then the AA 700R4 adapters IMO

nice work!

All signed up and getting her done!

The BII will be getting...
Chipped 4.0
208/5 T-case(Grem will decide which, since he has both)
AOD trans
D35

The axles are going to be 3.73s with L/S for now, but come next year it will either be new 4.56/5.13s or the 208/5 doubler. Maybe both if the money flows in my favor. ;) The B2 is not my DD anymore, I'm back to the Explorer. It will be driven at least once every two weeks though to keep every thing nice and lubed up for the runs.

I should be running this setup at the Explorer 10th Anny run at the Badlands, so some will be able to see how it works first hand. :thumbsup:

whats a chipped 4.0L?
hahaha
Assume a computer tuned OHV? any other mods?

Dang, I can't believe I haven't this thread til now. Talk about timing...right while I'm in the middle of the SAS :(

I'll start looking for a nice NV3550 (which will be the tranny I'm using behind my 5.0) :cool:

410Fortune said:
whats a chipped 4.0L?
hahaha
Assume a computer tuned OHV? any other mods?

Yup, chipped means a performance chip. No other mods right now, but a larger TB and a cone filter will probably be the most I would add to it. I'll see how she performs before playing with other mods... ;) This whole setup is kind of a new expantion of space so we will have to see what we discover... :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your order Brian :thumbsup:

I am hoping to be able to use the 208 case since it has a lower low range than the 205. But, since your BII has such a short W/B, we may need the extra room the 205 will give us. Time will tell on that one!

The rest of you guys....I only need THREE more orders and the first run is a go! :D

BTW...a "chipped" 4.0 is one that I dropped while it was 5ft in the air and the cherry picker tipped over!

Hahahahahaha,,just messin Brian! :eek:

Back