• Register Today It's free!

No 5th or Reverse in m5r1

RangerNate

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 Ranger Supercab 4x4
Got my rebuilt m5r1 in and running, but can't physically get the shifter to go into 5th or Reverse! It feels like it barely maybe starts to move over to the right one more gate...but doesn't. The shift stick is not hitting anything and no boot on yet so there isn't anything that I can see to keep it from going into 5th and Reverse.

I shifted it before installing and it went into all gears. I've had the shifter stub and busings out to replace them since the install and that is it.

What's the deal?

Gah!!! I removed the shifter stub and found out that it was in backwards (180* off!!!) seems my stub shaft is supposed to (and now does) have the retaining pinch bolt going side to side at the REAR of the shifter. Of course I already cut and welded my shift stick last night and it's all pretty and painted too. Will have to cut again and weld again or may just goto the wreckers in a few minutes.

Pics to come.

EDIT: Not sure which way is correct now...

On the rear edge of the lower part of the shifter stub (below the pivot ball) is a 0.5" long machined flat about 0.5" from the bottom of the paddle like part that engages the shift rails, it that seems to have something to do with the reverse light switch? The sides of the lower stub have flats too, but the one side is longer than the other. The one side is machined flat for about 1.5" from the bottom up (paddle like part that engages the shift rails) while the other side is only about 0.75" or a bit less as measured from the bottom.

The transmission shop says that there are two types of top covers (shift rail/cover assemblies) and that they interchange but the shift stubs are top cover specific. I've now heard similiar from a reliable source.

Gah!!! I removed the shifter stub and found out that it was in backwards (180* off!!!) seems my stub shaft is supposed to (and now does) have the retaining pinch bolt going side to side at the REAR of the shifter. Of course I already cut and welded my shift stick last night and it's all pretty and painted too. Will have to cut again and weld again or may just goto the wreckers in a few minutes.

Pics to come.

EDIT: Not sure which way is correct now...:dunno:

On the rear edge of the lower part of the shifter stub (below the pivot ball) is a 0.5" long machined flat about 0.75" from the bottom of the paddle like part that engages the shift rails, it that seems to have something to do with the reverse light switch? The sides of the lower stub have flats too, but the one side is longer than the other. The one side is machined flat for about 1.5" from the bottom up (paddle like part that engages the shift rails) while the other side is only about 0.75" as measured from the bottom of the shifter stub.

EDIT: THese machined flat surfaces are same dimensions on the longer shifter stub too.

The transmission shop says that there are two types of top covers (shift rail/cover assemblies) and that they interchange but the shift stubs are top cover specific. I've now heard similiar from a reliable source.

The 'short' shifter stub that is a fore/aft left side pinch bolt is about 1 7/8" from the bottom of the pivot ball to the bottom of the 'paddle' that engages the shift rails and about the same 1 7/8" from top of pivot ball to the top end of shifter stub (where the shift stick slips over the stub). The total length of the shift stub is 4 11/16"

EDIT: Pulled the longer shifter stub out and measured it just now!

The 'long' shifter stub that is currently installed in my trans is about 2 3/16" long from the bottom of the pivot ball to the bottom of the 'paddle' that engages the shift rails and about the same 1 7/8" from top of pivot ball to the top end of shifter stub (where the shift stick slips over the stub). The total length of the shift stub is 5."

In regards to the lower half of shifter stub (below the pivot ball!) Notice longer machined flat on left side and shorter machined flat on right side:

IMAG0011-1.jpg

Notice longer machined flat on right side and shorter machined flat on left side also approx 1/2" tall machined flat on narrow edge about 1/2" from bottom of 'paddle':

IMAG0010-1.jpg

Approx 1/2" long machined flat at very bottom of 'paddle'

IMAG0009-2.jpg

Approx 1 1/2" long machined flat at very bottom of 'paddle'

IMAG0008-2.jpg

Shifter cut, turned, welded at wrong angle? Pinch bolt at front of shifter. Does pinch bolt go across front, back, wrong shifter stub, or huh? That's my tcase breather hose laying next to shifter.

IMAG0007-1.jpg

EDIT: THese machined flat surfaces are same dimensions on the longer shifter stub too.

Pics and actual measurements are posted here now! It appears that if this longer shift stub is correct, then my pinch bolt goes side to side either at the front of back of the shifter.

FYI, it is about to my thumb knuckle (1") from the shifter retaining plate gasket surface down to the top of the trans plate and then about 1.5" or a bit less from there down to the top cover gasket surface.

OK all back together and it shifts fine with the shifter stub in the trans so that the stick pinch bolt is at the rear of the shifter going side to side and the locating pin on the right side.

Need to cut and re-weld my shift stick again.

FYI this tranny and shifter require a decent amount more effort to shift than either of my Toyotas do.

Aerostars with manual trans the stick pinch bolt is on the front. Why the heck didn't Ford make them all the same???

Back