• Register Today It's free!

No Start Issue - Tested A LOT

PTBishop

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
there is an explorer in my shop here. it dies while driving, and will not start back up, it will crank over, but does not fire. get it towed to the shop, it starts right up. we looked at it for 3 days, testing every possible thing that has to do with fuel and spark. we told the customer everything looks fine. and told her to let us know, she broke down and we towed it back. the thing wouldnt start, great, we try to figure out why, and as soon as we so, it starts right back up....anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

u want 2 try lookin pcm because sometimes their heat related they heat up n then crap out or b just a bad pcm all together

u have 2 catch it when it happens montior wit a scanner an keep ur eye on fuel n voltage

I have heard stories just like those, and the mystery isn't the same for each. There seem to be a few items that can do that. Still though, start by checking that all tune-up items are done, fuel filter, etc. Good luck,

I have a 91 ranger that started cranking slow then start, it did this for about a week, it acted like the battery was going dead, till it finally did, so I replaced the battery, and then tried to start it and now all I get is a click sound at the realy or solenoid( not sure what its called) next to the battery and it will not start unless I pop the clutch, can anyone help??

91 ranger won't start

I cleaned the battery cables, and replaced the battery, it cranked slow like the battery was going dead and it did, when I turned the key their was no sounds clicks or nothing so I replaced the battery, I put the new one in and when I turn the key their is 1 click at the relay next to the battery not at the starter, and not a bunch of clicks that you would get if batt. cables were dirty.

Tonny said:
I have a 91 ranger that started cranking slow then start, it did this for about a week, it acted like the battery was going dead, till it finally did, so I replaced the battery, and then tried to start it and now all I get is a click sound at the realy or solenoid( not sure what its called) next to the battery and it will not start unless I pop the clutch, can anyone help??

If your battery and alternator are good, check the resistance of the battery cable to the starter. If it's over a few ohms, it probably has internal corrosion. The '91-'94 Explorers were known for this problem. New cables fix the issue.

91 ranger won't start

so you are saying the starter solenoid next to the battery could not be bad when it clicks when I turn Ign. to start??

Had a similar situation years back; turned out to be one faulty O2 sensor.

Good luck ........

The 4.0L engine has 2 starter solenoids. One might be bad. If there is a click, check to see if there is power going to the starter solenoid. If there is no power, try to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. If there is power, then the starter, or second solenoid might be defective.

91 ranger won't start

I tried jumping the soiloned all it does is click like when I try to start it, so do you think it is bad??

Connect a test light to the wiring going to the starter, and crank the starter with the ignition key, or directly from the starter solenoid. If there is power, connect a voltmeter to your starter wiring, and see if you are getting the same voltage as you have on your battery while you try to crank it. You have to disconnect the wire connecting the starter for this test.

I've been through the same nightmare more than once. It sounds like you have an intermittent crankshaft sensor. The best way to see if its primary ignition or secondary ignition, is check your injectors to see if youre getting a sync pulse. if you are, then the cranshaft sensor is ok and then I would look really hard at the coil pack. Hope this helps!!

After the engine dies and you try to restart the Explorer can you hear the fuel pump run? If you are not sure hook a guage up to it and duct tape the guage to the windshield and take it for a drive. What year is the Explorer? Try driving with a scanner when it dies see if you still have communication with the ecm. These are easy things you can check that would help out alot.

Best of luck.

Eric

Check your crank shaft sencor mine comes loose and then dies and won't start

It sounds like a classic bad crank sensor, I recently had a 98 crown vic with these exact symptoms, and the crank sensors are almost identical design/location.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having exactly the same issue with our 1995 Explorer Sport. We have replaced the fuel pump relay, fuel pump and strainer, and fuel filter with no success. I'll check/replace the crank sensor next as suggested by someone on this thread. Will report back with results. Thanks.

QUOTE=PTBishop;1463013]there is an explorer in my shop here. it dies while driving, and will not start back up, it will crank over, but does not fire. get it towed to the shop, it starts right up. we looked at it for 3 days, testing every possible thing that has to do with fuel and spark. we told the customer everything looks fine. and told her to let us know, she broke down and we towed it back. the thing wouldnt start, great, we try to figure out why, and as soon as we so, it starts right back up....anyone have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Back