No Start Issue - Tested A LOT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Start Issue - Tested A LOT

The crank sensor did not fix our problem. Last night when the car quit I pulled to the side of the road and turned the ignition switch off and waited about one minute. I turn the ignition to the on position and with the gas cap off heard no fuel pump. I left the ignition on but did not try to start the car. In another 15 to 30 seconds I heard the fuel pump run for about two seconds. I hit the starter and it fired right up.

I was able to drive the car home and when I shut it down I immediately tryed to re-start and it would just turn over and not start. I put the ignition switch to the on position and waited less than 30 seconds and heard the fuel pump start and run for 2 to 3 seconds. I then turned the ignition switch to start and the car started right up.

Any one have any ideas? My previous post lists the work already completed. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The crank sensor did not fix our problem. Last night when the car quit I pulled to the side of the road and turned the ignition switch off and waited about one minute. I turn the ignition to the on position and with the gas cap off heard no fuel pump. I left the ignition on but did not try to start the car. In another 15 to 30 seconds I heard the fuel pump run for about two seconds. I hit the starter and it fired right up.

I was able to drive the car home and when I shut it down I immediately tryed to re-start and it would just turn over and not start. I put the ignition switch to the on position and waited less than 30 seconds and heard the fuel pump start and run for 2 to 3 seconds. I then turned the ignition switch to start and the car started right up.

Any one have any ideas? My previous post lists the work already completed. Thanks.

OK
Now you are in my world

I had this same issue, in my 98.

I had to disassemble my power distribution box and tighten all the lugs, which the relays and fuses plug into.
Both the fuel pump and pcm relays had loose connections---

Watch real carefully when you first switch key to on--does the Check engine light illuminate?-it should. If it isn't, it is a sign the pcm has no switched power. In this case, the puel pump will not prime.

Thanks JTSmith. I'll check those items tonight. This problem has been the worse to diagnose on any vehicle I have ever owned. I'll report back with results.

Thanks JTSmith. I'll check those items tonight. This problem has been the worse to diagnose on any vehicle I have ever owned. I'll report back with results.

Try doing nothing first--you want to catch it in the "situation"

What you want is key on-no fuel pump prime. Look for the check engine light.
Leave the key on, start wiggling the relays-fuses in the power distribution box, listen for the fuel pump.
If nothing, now go to the fuse panel inside cabin. Start pulling and reinstalling fuses-again listening for the pump to prime.

Last night was the first time I was able re-create the "situation". At least now I have somewhere to start looking. Thanks.

similar problem

i'm having a similar problem, not sure if it's related. The other day i was driving my 99 explorer and the check gage light started coming on and off about every three seconds. then further down the road it just died and wouldn't start again. had it towed to a gas station to see if it just ran out of gas but that didn't work either haven't started troublshooting yet wanted to see if there was any ideas out there first. also no blown fuses, fuel pump shutoff not activated, battery strong

Going to the first post. Are you driving this with a fuel gauges hooked up? I Have had two 98 Explorers in my shop as of late with bad fuel pumps. Both were intermittant. Both had been changed before, years ago.

Still, first check that there is not a theft light flashing in the intsrument cluster, when the ignition is turned on. That would be a PATS module or key/reader issue. Good luck,

Our latest attempt seems to be working. I checked over the power block under the hood that contains all of the fuses and relays and could not find anything that would indicate bad connections/wiring. I then installed a new PCM relay and the vehicle has run fine for the past ten days. The PCM relay is the same as the fuel pump relay. This is a twelve dollar part and takes five minutes to replace. I would definately replace this first if you're having this problem. Thanks for everyone's help.

This is sounding a lot like my problem, have an 01 explorer that won't start. I will turn the key and can hear the fuel pump prime, will proceed to start and it will just turn over but won't fire. If I give it gas the vehicle will start but the minute I let off of the gas it dies. I am supposed to leave town on Wednesday and a fix for this problem soon is very important.

2002-2005 V-6's have a TSB for hard starting. I had mine reflashed here at work. What year are you working on?

rodsmith try driving the truck with a fuel pressure gauge taped to the windshield. When it doesnt start does it have pressure. Ived had cars with bad fuel pumps start after being on the hook due to the shaking. When it doesnt start try banging on the gas tank with a hammer if the fuel pressure goes up then its a bad pump.

I tried jumping the soiloned all it does is click like when I try to start it, so do you think it is bad??

heres what your problem is, theres a LARGE cable connected to the positive terminal on your battery, and the other end is connected directly to your starter.

REPLACE this cable. its common that those go bad.

:thumbsup:

Cracked crankshaft sensor?

Hi, i had the same problem in dodge car. Car ran fine for 10 to 20 minutes and die after couple of miles. Check crankshaft sensor my was cracked.

I have one for you all my 93 xlt 4x4 will not even try to start when you turn the key the dash lights up and everything works fine but it won't even try to start i replaced the batt.,starter selnoid,ignition switch. i can jump it across to start it but nothing with the key HELP ME PLEASE!!!! my wife wants me to take it to the junk yard when i jump it across it runs fine then.

battery cables and starter cables

You can start it by laying a screwdriver accross the solenoid terminals? Is this by powering the starter trigger wire of the solenoid? If that works, then the starter trigger wire isn't getting the signal from the ignition switch. Test ti for voltage while "starting."

Try replacing the fuses under the driver side panel. One fuse blown and my truck wont start even though it has the same problem you guys have except it starts after alittle method i developed. Spark plugs, fuel pump, starter, battery, maybe its one of the sensors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what year? approx 98-01 explr ranger had a problem with fuel pmp and eec relays. Did the old ones that you took out have printed white lettering on them? if they were then they were the problem relays the updated ones (from ford) should be stamped lettered.
All of the ones I have come across have been very intermitt, had to tell the cust we need to do this first and see. 90% took care of it that had the printed relays. You likely took care of it.

Back