No start

Mikey195612

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jasper, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xlt
My 2000 5.0 explorer cranked just fine drove about 5 miles went in the store for about 2 minutes came back out and it hasn't cranked since, I have changed the key switch, the pats system and the Puter to no avail it backfireing through the exhaust any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try this, to the letter, and report back

I know I must so far I've checked the pats, Peter, cam sensor and the map sensor, and fuel pressure all I think I have left is the crank position sensor.

use your scanner to verify you’re seeing an RPM above 0 when cranking. Mine was around 150+ but it varies.

I don't have a scanner worth trying

parts cannon it is

I will do something

I will do something
1st See if you have spark.
2. See if you have fuel . spray carb cleaner or starter fluid down the throttle body.
3. If it starts. Is your PAT system causing it. Or is it your starter?
4. comment Steps 2 & 5 above.
5. You lost me with your explanation in #1. Does it crank and does not start? Or nothing?
Battery?
Starter?

I will try to clarify the engine turns over but no start even with starting fluid it backfires out the exhaust.

Its sound like the timing is off. You need too manually rotate the engine too top dead center, remove the number one spark plug, and see if the piston is there.

The three things you need to run.
1. Air. It back fired.
2. Fuel. When you pull the plug , it will be wet.
3. Spark. Which you have. It back fired.

Sounds like it has jumped time hun

You can compare tdc to the position of cam sensor, but it does need to be compression stroke. If you took a picture of the cam sensor flag at both tdc positions we could look. A tool is needed to properly align it, but if the chains jumped it would be obvious there visually.

We have to define ‘backfire’

True backfiring out the intake is indicative of jumped timing. Exhaust popping and banging, what many people call ‘backfiring’ is less indicative

Does the check engine light work and illuminate when cranking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The check engine light illuminating is a good sign, there's a crankshaft sensor signal. You'll need to use a multi meter to verify power at the coil pack, and test that it's good. Have you checked the fuses and relays?

Back