No start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No start

And fuel pressure? Just because you have some pressure does not mean it will run
2000’explorer needs 64 psi at the fuel rail

A crank and no start
First starting fluid behind throttle body see if it fires, if so you have a fuel delivery issue
If no, then you need to check for spark

The theft light should go out while cranking

Quit throwing expensive parts at it until you do some diagnostics

Buying a new pcm and key is $$$$ and gets you nowhere if those are not the issue
If you had a pats security issue the theft light would flash rapidly when you turn the key, if the theft light goes out while cranking, well you did not need a new computer and key

A 5.0 crank and no start is usually fuel issue
Especially if you have good spark while cranking
Not very often does the 5.0 timing chain let go and jump time, not very often at all….

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I have what ? Checked fuel pressure? And the results?

Theft light?

These short answers are not helping you fix your truck

Help us help you

I have checked the fuel,pats,puter the motor is firing but backfireing through the exhaust and is in a bind.

If it will not stay running on starting fluid, there's an ignition issue at a minimum.

It want run at all only backfire.

I know you checked the fuel but you never said “I checked fuel pressure and it was____ within spec,
Or steady at 64 psi or….
You see lots of people think that having any pressure means the pump
Is working and they move on. Some more details would be awesome

“The fuel pressure was ____

The theft light goes out while cranking”

Instead of “I did”

Now you say the engine is “in a bind” to
Me that means the piston is striking the valves and you cannot rotate the engine, but clearly you can because it turns over enough to backfire

Te pressure is 65psi the binding I mean the engine does not turn freely as normal like maybe the battery is dead.

So slow crank from the starter

Okay fuel psi was 65 nice thank you
Theft light go out while cranking?

Another Forum member had a no spark no start issue. When he cranked the engine there was no spark but when he released the key he'd get a single spark on a cylinder. Postal Dave was his user name I think. I suspect this is ignition related, either the coil pack or wiring from the ecm to the coil. The square connector with the 10mm bolt near the drivers side valve cover is a common failure point.

If you could get the battery jumped and try cranking engine with accelerator pressed to floor.

Switch key on and off, 4 times, then attempt a start.

Today I went out there and hooked the compression gauge up and just bumped the starter and the damn thing cranked so I put the plug back and tried again and same thing so I'm thinking ok it has fixed itself so like a dummy I put it all back together and wouldn't crank, I give up.

Air bre, belt,fan,and shroud then no crank.

Ok took a back apart and the ac compresser was locked up that was keeping it from starting.

Back