No Sync…have the Tesla style screens improved? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Sync…have the Tesla style screens improved?

Chickensandwich

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Police Utility
Just got back in to my explorer after a year or so and the radio depresses me. I know I can’t add sync, but I understand that you can put one of those 12” radios in. I know they have a bad rep, but I’m desperate. Has anyone heard if they’ve improved at all? I need Bluetooth and a screen that I don’t need a magnifying glass to see.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m sure it’s still going to be luck of the draw.

I think your best bet is going to be to get aftermarket double din or get a 8 in screen kit

I think your best bet is going to be to get aftermarket double din or get a 8 in screen kit
I think the issue is that you can’t just swap it out because there are controls integrated into the head unit.

Im thinking about just doing it. No Bluetooth, no nav, nothing. It makes me hate this car…without sync, you just can’t do anything with it.

Yeah no Bluetooth and navigation support is pretty lame. I absolutely hate integrated controls, and will have nothing to do with them.

Eww gross sorry guys yeah I would never get a vehicle with a base model radio like that would drive me nuts.

You have to remember that these vehicles were built for Police use and therefore several options that the base retail units have were not needed or included in the build process. In some cases, retrofits may only be possible in some units.

Peter

Back