• Register Today It's free!

not taking gas

biglion

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 2006 sport explor
2003 explorer sport every time i try to go fill gas at pump it clicks rite after couple or dollars and gas shoots out does this off and on until it finally fills up any solution to this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely the breather tube is dry rotted and collapsed, or debris is blocking the breather tube.

Any autoparts store will have hose that you can use to replace it. Nothing fancy as far as a part number or anything, just needs to be the same size. I ended up using heater hose (the stuff you buy by the foot) to replace mine and it is holding up so far after a year or so, but I'm not sure if thats the proper hose to use.

Most likely the breather tube is dry rotted and collapsed, or debris is blocking the breather tube.

Any autoparts store will have hose that you can use to replace it. Nothing fancy as far as a part number or anything, just needs to be the same size. I ended up using heater hose (the stuff you buy by the foot) to replace mine and it is holding up so far after a year or so, but I'm not sure if thats the proper hose to use.

IDK that this is the OP's problem, but who knows. The proper hose to use is called "green hose". If you use heater hose it will eventually rot out from the gas fumes, but it may last long enough. I know that using radiator hose for the filler will only last a month or two.

o

ok thanks for help and info do u have pic cause i don't want to touch wrong hose

o

ok thanks for help and info do u have pic cause i don't want to touch wrong hose

There are 2 hoses that connect from the fuel filler neck to the gas tank. The thinner one is the vent hose and the thicker one is the filler hose. Again, IDK that that's your issue as I don't know why that would cause you an issue only on left turns. I'm thinking something to do with the fuel pump assembly. Maybe a split hose between the pump and the regulator, or the regulator and the fuel line...? I'm not familiar with the '03 fuel pump & it's FPR.

IDK that this is the OP's problem, but who knows. The proper hose to use is called "green hose". If you use heater hose it will eventually rot out from the gas fumes, but it may last long enough. I know that using radiator hose for the filler will only last a month or two.

Green hose. I couldn't find the name of it. When I changed mine, I was troubleshooting an eval system code as well, so I wanted quick and cheap. OP, you would benefit from using the proper hose as Koda pointed out.

There are 2 hoses that connect from the fuel filler neck to the gas tank. The thinner one is the vent hose and the thicker one is the filler hose. Again, IDK that that's your issue as I don't know why that would cause you an issue only on left turns. I'm thinking something to do with the fuel pump assembly. Maybe a split hose between the pump and the regulator, or the regulator and the fuel line...? I'm not familiar with the '03 fuel pump & it's FPR.

Did he mention something about making turns in another thread and it cutting off? Not trying to say anything by it, just want to revise my answer if that is the case.

Green hose. I couldn't find the name of it. When I changed mine, I was troubleshooting an eval system code as well, so I wanted quick and cheap. OP, you would benefit from using the proper hose as Koda pointed out.

Did he mention something about making turns in another thread and it cutting off? Not trying to say anything by it, just want to revise my answer if that is the case.

Oh I think I'm confusing my threads. There was another thread recently that the OP said it cut out on left turns. You may be correct about the vent hose for this guy's issue..

not sure what u mean by left turns but mines just clicks at pump every few seconds when pumping gas

Oh I think I'm confusing my threads. There was another thread recently that the OP said it cut out on left turns. You may be correct about the vent hose for this guy's issue..

It's all good. You never put up bad info, so I figured I had missed it.

OP, I would make a run to the parts store and replace the breather hose.

This is off a ranger, but the fill neck is similar to ours. You can see the small tube coming off right behind the mounting flange. That's your breather tube. Follow that down to the tank and you'll see which hose you'll need to pull off the tank.

2003 explorer sport every time i try to go fill gas at pump it clicks rite after couple or dollars and gas shoots out does this off and on until it finally fills up any solution to this
I had the same problem with my 02 explorer xlt. If is very frustrating. I found out that it was the vent solenoid. What happens is the vent solenoid gets stuck in the closed position and doesn't let the fumes from the gas escape, causing it to come out out of the filler neck. What I did to fix the issue was to pull of the hose that went to the vent solenoid. I never had a problem with it after that. I tried everything everyone posted and nothing worked but the vent solenoid fix I did. This a video about what I'm talking about. Same issue different car.

I had the same problem with my 02 explorer xlt. If is very frustrating. I found out that it was the vent solenoid. What happens is the vent solenoid gets stuck in the closed position and doesn't let the fumes from the gas escape, causing it to come out out of the filler neck. What I did to fix the issue was to pull of the hose that went to the vent solenoid. I never had a problem with it after that. I tried everything everyone posted and nothing worked but the vent solenoid fix I did. This a video about what I'm talking about. Same issue different car.

hey thanks alot reply and video im check it out

Back