Ohe boy's Full Width D44/Ford 9" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ohe boy's Full Width D44/Ford 9"

Well I am finally done with the suspension mods and have taken it out on the trails to test out the flex.

Here's some pics to get started:

Group shot of the gang

group_shot.jpg

Some flexing out on the trails...

explorer_flex_1.jpg

explorer_flex_2.jpg

explorer_flex.jpg

...and some flexing with the forklift...

Picture61.jpg

Picture31.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Picture7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do you like those arms? I've been debating about getting me set.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I think these arms gives me the flex I need and want. I like them a lot. I didn't go through your entire sas build up but from the first page, it seems like you were thinking about going with the james duffs arms. these arms are quite similar, and i think they were made by the same guy.

do you have a pic of you coils compressed all the way. I need a second look at someone else's coil. Mine still has gaps and does not compress all the way when that wheel is flexed up. I think my steering is hanging it but have not had the time to check it.

I got some pics of my coils compressed when I took it to the forklift. But that was the very first time I really flexed out the suspension after the swap out. There were gaps in between too. I noticed after I took it off roading that the suspension seemed a lot more softer (then initially) on road. I then drove it up the ramp and got higher then when I first flexed it out on the forklift. So I believe that the coils are probably more compressed then then first time I flexed it out.

When you get a chance put one up for me. I think because i mounted my coil buckets so low the coils will not allow the suspension to move up anymore.

Compressed Wild Horse Coils

Sorry it took so long, but I thought I had a good pic of the coils compressed, come to find out, it wasn't a clear shot of the coils. But I just went wheeling today and got this pic.

DSC01312.jpg

Hopefully this helps!!!!

Burns did you see this pic I posted of the coils

Can you take pictures of how you mounted your track bar, coils,and last but not least your modified cage radius arms.

Heres some of posing rock shots:

DSC01311.jpg

DSC01310.jpg

DSC01314.jpg

Looks good man.

Do those steps come off or are they fixed.

Thanks for the coil pic.

Thanks Burns, Yah those steps are easily bolt on/off type. I forgot to take them off before I went wheeling like I normally would, but they didn't seem to get touched by any rocks.

I'll try and get those trac bar/coil bucket/arm mount pics for you 97 V8

DSC010151.jpg

Nice picts. Im a poor college student, but i just ordered some 1 1/4 warrior shackles for the rear leaf springs. Im loking into doing some custom fab for my 98 X over spring break. Im curious about your rack on the top. Does that mount to the luggage rack or its own mounting brackets? Also, other than the shackles, im stock. What would you suggest for larger wheels? I knw I have stock wheels and tires, but dont know how big the are or what i can go to being close to stock. I heard I would be able to fit 32s?

i have 31" tsl's stock and it rubs in the turns. you should be able to with shackles. also i have a safari rack i bought from a friend off his old cherokee, i just had to buy a mounting kit, fits on the old rails.

Update: New Front Locker

Well as the title says, I had a new locker installed in the front D44. One of my wheeling trips found that the Detroit Electrac was not engaging, which left me high and dry when I needed it the most. So the endresult was having to be pulled out.

Long story short ended up replacing it with a lock right! testing it out this sunday!

what about the axle swaps
what axles did you get or what were the out of?

What do you mean High Pinion... how does that ratio compare to stock eg Dana 35 and Ford 8.8 and why would you change it?? Should any one be looking for that I found a D44 in an old 150 everything moves well its in a junker I can get it for $25.00 but don't know what pinion it is?!

Get that axle just so you have it (its $25), and then spend the next week or two researching 'cauz sounds like you need quite a bit of info still.

Thats what I want to know isn't it worth it just for $25 I mean I can even resell it as is for that or more... Should I get the rear also?? Probably a 9"

Back