• Register Today It's free!

OHV to SOHC Bolt Pattern

Redrage

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mountaineer
I'm considering swapping a 4.0 ohv to a 4.0 sohc on a 2000 Explorer and was wondering about the bellhousing bolt pattern for the 5r55e. Will the sohc bolt up to the ohv 5r55e? I've searched the forums and have not found a definitive answer. Is it 7 of the 8 bolts line up and it's OK to run it that way?
Someone told me that the 5r55e has bolt holes for either motor, is this true?Answers from someone who knows would be wonderful.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same bolt pattern.

Pretty sure its the same. I had the OHC 4.0 in all three of my rangers with the 5r55e trans

3rd...

Yes. They are the same bellhousing pattern for the OHV and SOHC.

Ryan

7 of 8?

I have seen photos of the 5r55e and it appears to have both the sohc and the ohv pattern incorporated into it. Specifically the top two holes of the bell housing. Also, I would have to think that Ford would have designed it to accommodate both engines for assembly line purposes.
Thanks for the responses.
Joe

The OHV and the SOHC have the SAME bolt pattern.

All bolts will line up. Nothing was changed on the 5R transmission that was behind the OHV vs. SOHC.

Ryan

Sooo, if the bellhousing bolt pattern is the you should be able to bolt up a manual gearbox to a SOHC?

SOHC V6 manual trans

Sooo, if the bellhousing bolt pattern is the you should be able to bolt up a manual gearbox to a SOHC?

There were a small percentage of late 2nd generation Explorers manufactured with the SOHC V6 and a manual transmission (5-speed M5OD-R1HD). I've seen a couple 2 door Sports advertised for sale in that configuration. They may have been the 2002 or 2003 models.

There were a small percentage of late 2nd generation Explorers manufactured with the SOHC V6 and a manual transmission (5-speed M5OD-R1HD). I've seen a couple 2 door Sports advertised for sale in that configuration. They may have been the 2002 or 2003 models.

And a boat load of Rangers that came with manual transmissions behind the SOHC.

For anyone else who decides to dig up a long dead thread... The SOHC and OHV use very similar bolt patterns. The only difference is the top right bolt (as viewed from the rear) was moved down and to the right by about 2". The rest of the bolts line up. This bolt was moved for clearance for one of the SOHC timing chains.

What transfer case is used? Does the electric dual range one work/fit or is it a manual dual range or an AWD?

I have actually had experience with swapping from a OHV to a SOHC, there are differences in the electronic plugs on at least the camshaft positioning sensor, at this point I did not have access to internet or this forum.. I am not sure if there is a way to convert those plugs without changing the harness/computer..

Link to previous 4.0 OHV to SOHC swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395373&highlight=4.0+ohv+sohc

Back