• Register Today It's free!

Oil coolers.

JTH1972

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL V6 4X4
On my 94, is that a small oil cooler that's in front of the condenser? Is it OK to keep stock or should I look at replacing with a larger one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's your transmission cooler. It is fine for cold climates. For warmer climates or for towing you should improve the stock setup. I run a Hayden cooler ($35) in line with the stock one during the summer and just the stock cooler during the winter.

Well what's the lines running into the radiator? I though that was the transmission?

Tranny fluid goes to both. Not sure why though.

That's your transmission cooler. It is fine for cold climates. For warmer climates or for towing you should improve the stock setup. I run a Hayden cooler ($35) in line with the stock one during the summer and just the stock cooler during the winter.

What size of one do you use, and how do you add teh extra one inline?

Well what's the lines running into the radiator? I though that was the transmission?

The fluid goes into both the heat exchanger in the radiator and the external cooler. The heat exchanger brings up the temp when its really really really cold out and does cool the trans fluid down to the 160F range and the external cooler helps cool the trans fluid even more.

Here is a shot of what we did on our. We have 2 aux coolers, in series on our X. I don't remember if we had them before or after the heat exchanger (radiator) when I took this pic.

3454387446_562f609c46_z.jpg

Transmission-cooler-misc 005 by maniak_az, on Flickr

That fan is taken from a 91 geo prism (toyota corolla).

~Mark

I also run a large B and M cooler in line with the stock one. The stock one and my B&M are both after the heat exchanger in the radiator. also stacked plate is better then a tube and fin cooler.
To add one take the line from your one in front of the condenser that goes to the metal line feeding back to the tranny not the radiator and remove it and hook it to the new one. Then run a line from the other side of your new cooler to the line you removed the stock cooler line from and you’re hooked up.
you can also do what I did and that is after the heat exchanger in the radiator I then put in a spin on oil filter then ran the line to my coolers and then to the return to the tranny . This gives me about 1 Qt more of oil and a ton easier oil filter change for my tranny. It also will now have you filtering you oil twice .once with the stock filter and again with the new spin on.
Well worth the time and money spent I feel and not just for towing if you live in a hot summer area like some of us do.

you can also do what I did and that is after the heat exchanger in the radiator I then put in a spin on oil filter then ran the line to my coolers and then to the return to the tranny . This gives me about 1 Qt more of oil and a ton easier oil filter change for my tranny. It also will now have you filtering you oil twice .once with the stock filter and again with the new spin on.
Well worth the time and money spent I feel and not just for towing if you live in a hot summer area like some of us do.

Here is a pic of our external filter. I highly recommend this as the factory filter (in the pan) isn't much more than a screen.

2019361815_4dac3f1770_z.jpg

Trans filter, over the tire view by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

Also, be sure to use trans cooler hose, not fuel hose.
It's rated for higher temps and pressures than regular hose.

Back