• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

oil leak help?

cjben

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
2004 explorer xlt 4.6 v8 125,000 miles. Has an oil leak,seems to be coming from the driver's side front of the engine. I thought it might be valve cover,but the side of the engine is dry. Can't really see anything leaking around the oil filter,but it does seem to be coming from that area or higher. I laid under it today with the engine running for 10 minutes,couldn't see a single drop come out,so I am thinking maybe it only leaks at higher rpms? Any common places in this area for it to leak? I have never owned a ford with the 4.6 engine,so have no experience with it. thanks for the help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Lurkin

Reaction score
City, State
Salt lake city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
2004 explorer xlt 4.6 v8 125,000 miles. Has an oil leak,seems to be coming from the driver's side front of the engine. I thought it might be valve cover,but the side of the engine is dry. Can't really see anything leaking around the oil filter,but it does seem to be coming from that area or higher. I laid under it today with the engine running for 10 minutes,couldn't see a single drop come out,so I am thinking maybe it only leaks at higher rpms? Any common places in this area for it to leak? I have never owned a ford with the 4.6 engine,so have no experience with it. thanks for the help!!
I found this thread very helpful, especially the diagram. I recently bought an 02 Explorer, and it had a pretty good oil leak up front. It mainly dripped from the front cross member, and from reading from this forum, the oil filter adapter plate gasket seemed to be the culprit. I bought the gasket online and replaced it last weekend.

I thought it was a pretty hateful job. It;s difficult to see anything due to the location. It's difficult to get light in there to see, and get your hands in there at the same time.. Much of it was done by braille. It did help me to remove the driver side front wheel. It really helped for a couple of the bolts. I was a bit scared when I I got everything back together, fluids refilled, etc., and started it up..... I was almost expecting a water or oil leak, because it was so difficult to see the surfaces to make sure they were well cleaned up.

It took me much longer than others that have posted here, but I ran it for most of an hour with no more drip at all.

I really appreciate this thread and everyone's input, Thanks everyone!

This weekend is a tranny filter and fluid change, which I've read much about on here. Hopefully it will go well. No wonder I couldn't find a trans dipstick, there isn't one???? fillling the trans with a pump from below, seems like an odd poor design, but... giddy up here we gooooo.....

Lurkin

Reaction score
City, State
Salt lake city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Oil filter adapter gasket is known problem. Read this thread:

Oil Filter Adapter Housing Gasket
I really appreciate your input, thanks! I actually did read through the thread several times before I changed the gasket. It was extremely helpful. I could throw in a few other tips from my experience with it, it wasn't one of my favorite things I've done, at all...