Oil pressure warning light came on. It's a bad sending unit, but I can't find it. Need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil pressure warning light came on. It's a bad sending unit, but I can't find it. Need help.

rickyd123

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
I was driving my 1994 Ford Explorer the other day and the oil pressure warning light came on. It has a 4.0 liter v6 engine. I have an oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster and it showed I still had good oil pressure and the engine sounded fine, so I drove home. I left it sit for a few hours and checked my oil level. It was right where it was supposed to be. I had actually changed the oil myself about 3 weeks ago. I googled reason why the warning light would come on and the only reason that fit was that the sending unit/ switch was clogged.
Here's my problem. There are two sending unit/switches. One for the light and one for the gauge. I've found one. It's on the driver's side behind the power steering pump. It doesn't really resemble the replacement part I bought. I need to find the other one.
Can anyone tell me where it is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check this post:

Thanks for the reply. I think the post is referring to my type of Explorer, but I'm not real sharp on the terminology. They never get specific about generation 1 or what year vehicle they're discussing. At least if they did I missed it. I won't have time to look until this afternoon, but then I'll crawl under it and see if there's a switch on my vehicles oil pan.

OHV engines are all that came in the 91 -94 1st gen Explorers so that post is applicable to your model.

Mine failed last summer, it sprang a leak and I lost all my oil. Luckily, the part was 12 bucks and I replaced in the store parking lot with a pair of vice grips. Easiest repair ever!

Back