Old Explorer gets new paint | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Old Explorer gets new paint

We have repainted my 91 X this past weekend. The original clear coat had bubbled up and was in very poor condition. I used the original color and clear coat. I has and experinced body man working with me. If anyone is interested I can do a write up with pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a fine looking Explorer! Great job done.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

WOW nice job.

I am going to be following in your footsteps in the next year or so.
I paid MAACO 4 years ago to do that very same process, and they jacked it up.

Are you worried about chipping and peeling along the trim lines around the glass? On my BII basically everytrhing they taped up (trim around glass) peeled over time.

I will be removing all the glass from my truck when I do my paint.

Thanks for the write up it looks AWESOME...nice job.

I must say Uncle meats did a great job helping prep the truck and with this step by step he has posted. I really enjoyed the step by step and working with him. All in all the truck turned out really good and with min dust for painting it in the shop ( no paint both) for the price and durabilty you can't beat the dupont products. the base coat clear is the best way to go because of being able to wet sand and buff easier pluse spot painting is easier with base clear if it were to be dented down the road.:eek:

410Fortune the reason the paint peeled around u r trim and glass is cause macco dosen't take the time to prep ( sand) very well I bet the areas that peeled the old paint didn't look sanded. some maccos do a good job but some try to just scuff and shot everything for the quick cash. you don't have to remove the glass and trim to get a good paint job. but if you can afford a glassman to remove all the glass it dose make the job easier. i hope you get the bronco 2 looking good again. an 87 bronco 2 is the next thing coming in my shop. it too is a paint popper.I'll try to take pics and pass them on to Unclemeats. dixie dirt dabber

WOW! Thats awesome. Can i call you when mine needs done?

the BII glass is so easy to remove! I will be doing the entire job myself, thanks for the additional insperation!

I'm planning on painting my 91 also, what kind of compressor and spray gun will I need to do the job and come out with the same results as you did, I don't want to spend much for the equipment.

Next one you do you should paint the door handles and the rest of the faded black panels like btw the front and middle windows and btw the rear hatch glass and the rear window just my .02. When I had mine painted I made sure they painted that too and it adds alot!

Job well done! That looks great man!

Bubba was my experienced body man, I will see him this weekend and get him to check on the thread and answer any questions.

Originally posted by xmodster3o3
I'm planning on painting my 91 also, what kind of compressor and spray gun will I need to do the job and come out with the same results as you did, I don't want to spend much for the equipment.

While I can't speak for unclemeat, or form too much experience my, dad is having a car restored in his garage(home) and we have an experienced body man working on it.

We have an 80 gallon compressor, which is overkill but (I think) the most important thing is matching the CFM to the gun you have, at the pressure it needs. Our's has a regulator and filter which is important also. As far as I know the regulator is set to 125 PSI all the time. We are using the same series of paint in a Tri-Coat 2002 Mustang Laser Red, which sadly covers like crap, and uses lots of paint(it's not cheap).

As for the gun, I don't know much except that he uses more than one kind dependant on the job, one for clear coat, base coat and primer, and a touchup gun for small jobs etc. Being a pro, he uses really expensive guns, I think one is a Mac but other than that I don't know.

I would look into renting an ait compressor if you only want to do this once. Hope this helps! Good luck!

about painting the black to match the rest of the truck, after seeing a newer one with no black we should have I talked Unclemeats into leaving the black cause it was factory so it's my fault but it can be pianted the color of the truck with ease because it is broke up from the truck with a black molding. as far as the equipment used, the compresor used is a 80 gal 6hp (220 volt) 2 stage ingersolrand price when i got it was over $1000, you can find a 60 gal. at Wal-mart pretty cheap. I wouldn't go any less than the 60 gal. compresor you don't want the compresor to constantly run. I used a sharpe spray gun (HVLP gravity feed) cost $375 ,but lowse sells a hvlp gun made by ingersolrand that is barely over $100.00 & it sprays really good a water sepperator/ regulator at the airtank is a good thing, lowes sells them now too.sanders( D.A.) I wouldn't buy any thing but a good on like my dynabrade or a hutchins the dynabrade i have is a finishing sander w/ a 6" pad, the hutchins is the one I do body work with it's heavy and cuts faster(also a 6" pad)any other questions I will be glad to help with.There isn't much we don't see at East Coast Creations here in Va.

I want to paint the black trim and molding around the windows and the mirror housings on the exterior of my explorer. What spray paint would work? Would Krylon Interior/Exterior work okay? I think it said it would work on just about everything including rubber. What grit sandpaper should I use and do I need primer for what I'm doing?

Yes you should use primer. A 220-grit is good for initial prep (before primer). A 400-grit is good for sanding primer (before paint). I don't know about rattle can spray paint. You get what you pay for and auto paint is expensive. Auto paint can be matched to your stock color. We used a base coat clear coat paint. We did paint the black plastic on the top. It has held up fine

xmodster3o3 said:
Well I Got my equipment and its time to paint, I'm planning on getting it done this weekend and I was wondering what grit sandpaper I should use to sand the base coat, also how many water sepperators should I use i only have one as of now.
Also any last suggestions you would like to give me before I jump in. Thanks very much this write up has really helped. :chug:

I am not sure I understand your question. You do not sand the base color coat. You do have to sand the primer coat. If you feel the need to sand, you can wet sand with 2,000-grit after at least 30-days to remove imperfections and orange peel finish.

Dust is your enemy when appling the clear coat. You can wet the floor to help keep dust down.

ok thanks I was unsure if I had to sand the base, i'll be sure to keep as much dust away from the clear, thanks again.

Well I got done with the paint. Tell me what you guys think. I installed the ranger airdam also. Thanks for the write up guys.
Sorry the pics look crappy, I got a crappy cam.
Before, clear coat was chipping off, and very dull.
PICTURE004.gif

After the first shot of primer and getting rid of some dings.
Picture010.gif

All done and looking good. I need some rims really bad.
Picture024.gif

Front end.
Picture036.gif

looks really good!

Back