Old Explorer gets new paint | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Old Explorer gets new paint

We have repainted my 91 X this past weekend. The original clear coat had bubbled up and was in very poor condition. I used the original color and clear coat. I has and experinced body man working with me. If anyone is interested I can do a write up with pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Daaaaaamn man that looks good!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lowering kit? Body Kit?

Any one know where i can find a Lowering Kit and/or body kit for a 1997 Exploere? i've been searching the net, but have come up empty handed! i really wanna drop it!~

shizzle234 said:
Any one know where i can find a Lowering Kit and/or body kit for a 1997 Exploere? i've been searching the net, but have come up empty handed! i really wanna drop it!~
Wow, off subject :thumbdwn: , try doing a search on this website. :thumbsup:

It looks real good. I'm attempting to paint mine soon enough. I started my own thread before unclemeat suggested this thread. I will definitely write my directions from this post.... and the haynes painting manual, hehe. Great write-up!

what kinda lift and tires do you have on your green sport?

Superlift 5.5" and 33x12.5 BFG KMs

want to come over to west end henrico and paint my ex for me!

uncle, What do you have along the edges of the fender/wheel well openings? Is that just paint or a flare? If a flare, what kind and where'd you get it? I've got rust eating through the lips on the fender of my '92 that i wanna sand out, but don't want to repaint and try to blend. I'd be better off to hide it.

hide rust? bad idea. Cut out the rust first, maybe then hide it.

yeah, that why i said sand it out, but don't want to try to match the paint

My brother-in-law (bubbatruck 78) is the professional body man. He does side work. His shop is in Aylett (Rt 360 past Mechanicsville). He paints for reasonable prices.

The fender flairs are stock. I do not have any rust problems, but everytime I wash it I make sure that the inside of the fender wells behind the flairs is clean. We just taped it preped it and painted it around the fender flairs.

Rust is like cancer, if you don't remove it completely it will just come back.

If you are going to try to repair a fender, remove all the rust, It might be easer to get a used fender and repaint it. If the rest of the paint is in good shape use the stock color, prep and paint the disturbed area and clearcoat the entire fender.

The whole truck was painted last year, but it was a terrible job by a shop I'll never see again. The truck got damaged when it was out of my hands, so they had to fix it for free...did a sorry job, painted over rust...

Back