One Way to Save a First Gen: A4LD to 5R55E Swap (Completed) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One Way to Save a First Gen: A4LD to 5R55E Swap (Completed)

Here's a list of everything that is NOT hooked up to the 97 PCM, just off the top of my head:

3 of the 4 o2 sensors (one front, both rears)
IAC valve
variable intake valve thing
everything emission related (purge canister, ect)
fuel injectors
tach wire (output only)
octane shorting bar circuit
thats all i can think of right now.

Ill give James a shout and probe his brain some, and then my next step is to install three more O2 sensors in the exhaust...this is turning into a fun experiment :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IIRC, it will go into closed loop without the downstream o2 sensors

Do you happen to know anywhere that talks about shift theory and loop strategies? Ill know for sure what loop it is in once i hook my laptop up to it and run a datalog of some of the tranny PID's but i am at a loss currently.

I know this whole project is unconventional and hell, it might have been easier to just convert whole truck to OBD-II, but i really did think that this solution would be yet another way to save first gens :(

I just stumbled across this FORD manual concerning automatic transmissions and operation thereof

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/obdsm307.pdf

It covers some very interesting facts for all FORD autoloaders from AX4S/4F50N to the 5R110W as well as theory of same. If you want to get looped, you have to hook together the information they provide.

I've only read a few pages but it seems to tell me what all connections required to shift the 5R55 tranny are and you don't seem to have them all connected. What do you think?

Ok, i finally got some video up for you guys to see how its shifting. After around 45 Mph, i can get it to shift into 5th, like always, but after that, it is done shifting. Nevermind the noise, I havent fixed the exhaust yet.

I just stumbled across this FORD manual concerning automatic transmissions and operation thereof

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/obdsm307.pdf

It covers some very interesting facts for all FORD autoloaders from AX4S/4F50N to the 5R110W. I've only read a few pages but it seems to tell me all connections required to shift the 5R55 tranny and you don't seem to have them all connected. What do you think?

Ill give that a read, thanks!:thumbsup:

:salute:I have hopes that this information on the 5R55W will Help. :thumbsup:

5R55S (RWD) Transmission – with ETC (has turbine speed sensor)

The 5R55S replaces the 5R55W transmission from 2002 MY. The diagnostics for the 5R55S and 5R55W are identical. The controls are slightly different for vehicles that use Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) versus vehicles that do not use ETC.

Transmission Inputs The Digital Transmission Range (DTR) sensor provides a single analog and three digital inputs to the PCM. The PCM decodes these inputs to determine the driver-selected gear position. This input device is checked for opens and invalid input patterns. (P0708, P0705)
Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS) and Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensors are analog inputs that are checked for rationality.

If the engine rpm is above the torque converter stall speed and engine load is high, it can be inferred that the vehicle must be moving. If there is insufficient output from the TSS sensor, a malfunction is indicated (P0715). If there is insufficient output from the OSS sensor, a malfunction is indicated (P0720).

Transmission Outputs

Shift Solenoids
The Shift Solenoid (SSA, SSB, SSC, SSD) output circuits are checked for opens and shorts by the PCM by monitoring the status of a feedback circuit from the output driver (P0750 SSA, P0755 SSB, P0760 SSC, P0765 SSD).

These vehicle applications will utilize an inductive signature circuit to monitor the shift solenoids functionally. The ISIG circuit monitors the current signature of the shift solenoid as the solenoid is commanded on. A solenoid that functions properly will show a characteristic decrease in current as the solenoid starts to move. If the solenoid is malfunctioning, the current will not change (P1714 SSA, P1715 SSB, P1716 SSC, P1717 SSD).

The ISIG test runs in conjunction with the other transmission functional tests. The lack of communication between the ISIG chip and the PCM microprocessor is also monitored (P1636).
Electronic Pressure Control Outputs The VFS solenoids are variable force solenoids that control line pressure and gear selection in the transmission.

The VFS solenoids have a feedback circuit in the PCM that monitors VFS current. If the current indicates a short to ground (low pressure), engine torque may be reduced to prevent damage to the transmission. (P0962, P0966, P0970). The VFS solenoids are also checked for functionality by utilizing a rationality test that looks at gear ratios. If VFS/shift solenoid electrical faults and shift solenoid ISIG faults are not present, then actual ratios versus expected ratios are used to infer VFS failures. (P0745 PCA, P0775 PCB, P0795 PCC).

Torque Converter Clutch
The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) output circuit is a duty-cycled output that is checked electrically for opens and shorts by the PCM by monitoring the status of a feedback circuit from the output driver (P0743). These vehicle applications will utilize an inductive signature circuit to monitor the torque converter clutch. The ISIG circuit monitors the current signature of the TCC solenoid as the solenoid is commanded on. A solenoid that functions properly will show a characteristic decrease in current as the solenoid starts to move. If the solenoid is malfunctioning, the current will not change (P1740). The ISIG test runs in conjunction with the other transmission functional tests. The lack of communication between the ISIG chip and the PCM microprocessor is also monitored (P1636).

FORD MOTOR COMPANY REVISION DATE: NOVEMBER 12, 2007 PAGE 86 OF 95

Direct One Way Clutch
The Direct One Way Clutch is checked for functionality by utilizing a rationality test that looks at transmission input torque relative to commanded throttle position while in 1st, 3rd, or 4th gear. If a direct one way clutch fault is present, then the transmission will not be able to carry torque at high throttle angles in 1st, 3rd, or 4th gears. (P1700)

On Board Diagnostic Executive

The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Executive is a portion of the PCM strategy that manages the sequencing and execution of all diagnostic tests. It is the "traffic cop" of the diagnostic system. Each test/monitor can be viewed as an individual task, which may or may not be able to run concurrently with other tasks. The Diagnostic Executive enables/disables OBD monitors in order to accomplish the following:

• Sequence the OBD monitors such that when a test runs, each input that it relies upon has already
been tested.
• Controls and co-ordinates the execution of the individual OBD system monitors: Catalyst, Misfire,
EGR, O2, Fuel, AIR, EVAP and, Comprehensive Component Monitor (CCM).
• Stores freeze frame and "similar condition" data
• Manages storage and erasure of Diagnostic Trouble Codes as well as MIL illumination
• Controls and co-ordinates the execution of the On-Demand tests: Key On Engine Off (KOEO), Key
On Engine Running (KOER), and the Output Test Mode (OTM).
• Performs transitions between various states of the diagnostic and powertrain control system to
minimize the effects on vehicle operation.
• Interfaces with the diagnostic test tools to provide diagnostic information (I/M readiness, various
J1979 test modes) and responds to special diagnostic requests (J1979 Mode 08 and 09).
The diagnostic also executive controls several overall, global OBD entry conditions.
• The Diagnostic Executive waits for 4 seconds after the PCM is powered before initiating any OBD
monitoring. For the 2001 MY and beyond, this delay has been eliminated to meet the "zero startup
delay" misfire monitoring requirements.
• The Diagnostic Executive suspends OBD monitoring when battery voltage falls below 11.0 volts.
• The Diagnostic Executive suspends monitoring of fuel-system related monitors (catalyst, misfire,
evap, O2, AIR and fuel system) when fuel level falls below 15%

FORD MOTOR COMPANY REVISION DATE: NOVEMBER 12, 2007 PAGE 92 OF 95

Exponentially Weighted Moving Average

Exponentially Weighted Moving Averaging is a well-documented statistical data processing technique that is used to reduce the variability on an incoming stream of data. Use of EWMA does not affect the mean of the data, however, it does affect the distribution of the data. Use of EWMA serves to “filter out” data points that exhibit excessive and unusual variability and could otherwise erroneously light the MIL.

The simplified mathematical equation for EWMA implemented in software is as follows:
New Average = [New data point * “filter constant”] + [( 1 - “filter constant” ) * Old Average]
This equation produces an exponential response to a step-change in the input data. The "Filter Constant" determines the time constant of the response. A large filter constant (i.e. 0.90 ) means that 90% of the new data point is averaged in with 10% of the old average. This produces a very fast response to a step change. Conversely, a small filter constant (i.e. 0.10 ) means that only 10% of the new data point is averaged in with 90% of the old average. This produces a slower response to a step change.

When EWMA is applied to a monitor, the new data point is the result from the latest monitor evaluation. A new average is calculated each time the monitor is evaluated and stored in Keep Alive Memory (KAM). This normally occurs each driving cycle. The MIL is illuminated and a DTC is stored based on the New Average store in KAM. In order to facilitate repair verification and DDV demonstration, 2 different filter constants are used.

A “fast filter constant” is used after KAM is cleared/DTCs are erased and a “normal filter constant” is used for normal customer driving. The “fast filter” is used for 2 driving cycles after KAM is cleared/DTCs are erased, and then the “normal filter” is used. The “fast filter” allows for easy repair verification and monitor demonstration in 2 driving cycles, while the normal filter is used to allow up to 6 driving cycles, on average, to properly identify a malfunction and illuminate the MIL.
In order to relate filter constants to driving cycles for MIL illumination, filter constants must be converted to time constants. The mathematical relationship is described below:

Time constant = [ ( 1 / filter constant ) - 1 ] * evaluation period
The evaluation period is a driving cycle. The time constant is the time it takes to achieve 68% of a step-change to an input. Two time constants achieve 95% of a step change input. Catalyst Monitor EWMA. EWMA has been incorporated in the catalyst monitor. There are 3 calibrate able parameters that determine the MIL illumination characteristics.

“Fast” filter constant, used for 2 driving cycles after DTCs are cleared or KAM is reset
“Normal” filter constant, used for all subsequent, “normal” customer driving Number of driving
cycles to use fast filter after KAM clear (normally set to 2 driving cycles)

Several examples for a typical calibration (4.6L Mark VIII ) are shown in the tables below. Specific calibration information can be obtained from the parameter listing provided for each strategy.

FORD MOTOR COMPANY REVISION DATE: NOVEMBER 12, 2007 PAGE 93 OF 95

Monitor evaluation (“new data”) EWMA Filter Calculation,“normal” filter constant set to 0.4
Malfunction threshold = .75
Weighted Average (“new average”)
Driving cycle number
Action/Comment

0.15 .15 * (0.4) + .15 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.15 normal 100K system
1.0 1.0 * (0.4) + .15 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.49 1 catastrophic failure
1.0 1.0 * (0.4) + .49 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.69 2
1.0 1.0 * (0.4) + .69 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.82 3 exceeds threshold
1.0 1.0 * (0.4) + .82 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.89 4 MIL on
0.15 .15 * (0.4) + .15 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.15 normal 100K system

0.8 0.8 * (0.4) + .15 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.41 1 1.5 * threshold failure
0.8 0.8 * (0.4) + .41 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.57 2
0.8 0.8 * (0.4) + .57 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.66 3
0.8 0.8 * (0.4) + .66 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.72 4
0.8 0.8 * (0.4) + .72 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.75 5 exceeds threshold
0.8 0.8 * (0.4) + .75 * ( 1 - 0.4) 0.77 6 MIL on

I/M Readiness Code
The readiness function is implemented based on the J1979 format. A battery disconnection or clearing codes using a scan tool results in the various I/M readiness bits being set to a “not-ready” condition. As each noncontiguous monitor completes a full diagnostic check, the I/M readiness bit associated with that monitor is set to a “ready” condition. This may take one or two driving cycles based on whether malfunctions are detected or not.

The readiness bits for comprehensive component monitoring, misfire and fuel system monitoring are considered complete once all the non-continuous monitors have been evaluated. Because the evaporative system monitor requires ambient conditions between 40 and 100
o
F and BARO > 22.5 " Hg (< 8,000 ft.) to run, special logic can
“bypass” the running the evap monitor for purposes of clearing the evap system I/M readiness bit due to the
continued presence of these extreme conditions.
Evap bypass logic for 1997, 1998 and 1999 MY c/o vehicles:
If the evaporative system monitor cannot complete because ambient temperature conditions were encountered outside the 40 to 100 o F and BARO range at speeds above 40 mph during a driving cycle in which all continuous and non-continuous monitors were evaluated, the evaporative system monitor is then considered complete due to the continued presence of extreme conditions. If the above conditions are repeated during a second driving cycle, the I/M readiness bit for the evaporative system is set to a “ready” condition. (Note: Some 1997 and 1998 vehicles do not require catalyst monitor completion to bypass.)

FORD MOTOR COMPANY REVISION DATE: NOVEMBER 12, 2007 PAGE 94 OF 95

Evap bypass logic for new 1999 MY, 2000 MY, and beyond vehicles:

If the evaporative system monitor conditions are met with the exception of the 40 to 100 o F ambient temperatures or BARO range, a timer is incremented. The timer value is representative of conditions where the Evap monitor could have run (all entry conditions met except IAT and BARO) but did not run due to the presence of those extreme conditions. If the timer continuously exceeds 30 seconds during a driving cycle in which all continuous and non-continuous monitors were evaluated, the evaporative system monitor is then considered complete. If the above conditions are repeated during a second driving cycle, the I/M readiness bit for the evaporative system is set to a “ready” condition.

Power Take Off Mode

While PTO mode is engaged, the I/M readiness bits are set to a “not-ready” condition. When PTO mode is disengaged, the I/M readiness bits are restored to their previous states prior to PTO engagement. During PTO mode, only CCM circuit checks continue to be performed.

Catalyst Temperature Model:
A catalyst temperature model is currently used for entry into the catalyst and oxygen sensor monitors. The catalyst temperature model uses various PCM parameters to infer exhaust/catalyst temperature. For the 1998 MY, the catalyst temperature model has been enhanced and incorporated into the Type A misfire monitoring logic. The model has been enhanced to include a misfire-induced exothermic prediction. This allows the model to predict catalyst temperature in the presence of misfire.

The catalyst damage misfire logic (Type A) for MIL illumination has been modified to require that both the catalyst damage misfire rate and the catalyst damage temperature is being exceeded prior to MIL illumination. This change is intended to prevent the detection of unserviceable, unrepeatable, burst misfire during cold engine startup while ensuring that the MIL is properly illuminated for misfires that truly damage the catalyst.

Serial Data Link MIL Illumination
The instrument cluster on some vehicles uses the J1850 serial data link to receive and display various types of information from the PCM. For example, the engine coolant temperature information displayed on the instrument cluster comes from the same ECT sensor used by the PCM for all its internal calculations.

These same vehicles use the J1850 serial data link to illuminate the MIL rather than a circuit, hard-wired to the PCM. The PCM periodically sends the instrument cluster a message that tells it to turn on the MIL, turn off the MIL or blink the MIL. If the instrument cluster fails to receive a message within a 5-second timeout period, the instrument cluster itself illuminates the MIL. If communication is restored, the instrument cluster turns off the MIL after 5 seconds. Due to its limited capabilities, the instrument cluster does not generate or store Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

FORD MOTOR COMPANY REVISION DATE: NOVEMBER 12, 2007 PAGE 95 OF 95

I havent made much progress on the tcc lockup issue, but I have begun fixing other things on the truck that needed to be addressed. However, concering the transmission itself, all ill say is this:

I have a Ford NGS tester now :-D

More updates to follow...

Wa

:popcorn:

Seeing as how the NGS has whats called a "trans bench mode" and "trans drive mode", I can use the NGS to 'manually' shift the 5r55e, as well as activate the tcc solenoid with it. While this Doesnt fix my tcc lockup problem, it does allow me to make sure everything mechanically is working. Then, later I can monitor all the shift related PCM PID's and trans sensors to verify I have proper signals going to the eec-v module (from now on, referred to in this thread as the transmission control module, TCM) my new hypothesis is that my problem will lie somewhere buried deep in eec-v pids...

The computer that runs the trans is a Powertrain Control Module, the PCM, which is the same PCM that controls all engines and transmissions of all computer controlled cars. I ignore the "Ford calls theirs an ECM, GM's is a ECU blah blah blah." The industry standard one name for all of those computers is PCM, simple and covers all makes. Regards,

this is a completely 'LOOK AT ME!!!' post, but i have to show and brag :p:

386352_869951568361_1861228896_n.jpg

379403_869947491531_2015749552_n.jpg

Very cool, I've watched the Ford techs use them, but that should be great to have yourself.

i just read this thread in its entirety as it was linked to me from another thread

sounds to me like the ecu is getting a faulty OSS signal which will not allow the tcc to lock, this should however throw an 'excessive tcc slippage' code. But not always. I ran into that same exact problem when I swapped a 4r70w in my 91 supercoupe.

I've reprogrammed 100s of fords and never not once witnessed a tcc non-lockup due to the ecu being in open loop. I also have my moms 99 v6 explorer (with 5r55) in forced open loop due to being too lazy to change the faulty o2s and it locks the coverter right when and where its programmed to. I wouldn't bother trying to manipulate the trans ecu into thinking the hegos are controlling fuel.

The ecu will failsafe into open loop if the hego's do not switching within the byples timeout, which is typically 60seconds. This is of course if the hego min switch scalar is at 0, if its anything but the ecu wouldn't even go into closed loop.

I would recommend getting rid of the eec4 and running the engine off the eec5, if you can get me a catch code or a binary off the eec5 and email it to me, i can see what all i have access to. If i have sufficient means of reprogramming it I'd gladly send you out a chip at a minimal fee.

decipha at efidynotuning dot com

so this weekend while in the midst of doing Blue's overhaul, i finally got around to the last part of the 5R55E conversion...the gear indicator and OD cancellation switch. On automatic first gens, the gear shift indicator is laid out as follows:

P R N OD D 2 1

where as the 5R tranny ( and all second gen trannys for that matter) have the following:

P R N D 2 1

so you can imagine that while the physical gear selection was there, it did not line up correctly with the first gen gear indicator. So modification insued..

First, i started off with a second gen sport gear selector (thanks Kris!!) and compared it to the first gen:
377562_883167408711_1166143273_n.jpg

Quite different as you can see, so it wouldn't be feasible to try and shoehorn the 2nd gen one in..so I compared the paper they were both printed on:
390001_883174808881_949217563_n.jpg

As, much more similar. I peeled both stickers off and lined it up center (the first gen gear cable as an adjuster switch, more on this later) and marked where i needed to cut:
391791_883177563361_2020762019_n.jpg

And cut off the excess. The keen eyes will notice that the orange pointer is actually second gen, as i sanded it to fit to give it a more updated look. No one will ever notice such a small change, but i will ;)
382888_883182338791_17300899_n.jpg

and put everything back together and voila! it looks completely stock. Now, the needle was still off a bit, so i moved the adjuster wheel until it was as close in each gear as i could get it
378674_883116665401_1245868796_n.jpg

Next i wanted to see how i could fit the gear lever from a second gen into Blue so i could get the factory OD cancel switch. So I pulled both and compared...as you can see, it wouldn't just slide right in :( SO welding was required :D
374594_883293615791_486208267_n.jpg

I cut the first gen stalk apart, where it goes into the steering column, and tacked it on the second gen unit to the relative same angle on it where it wouldn't bind, hit the dash, or the key cylinder (side note, the key in a first gen is about 2 inches higher on the column verses where the key resides on a second gen column). this took several attempts to get lined up correctly:
383102_883294499021_380157531_n.jpg

After finally getting the angle right, i welded, grinded, welded, grinded, and then checked once more to make sure everything was perfect. Couldn't ask for better in my opinion. Now its ready for paint and wire it up.
390200_883295526961_1683136287_n.jpg

and then we have the finally product. I must say i am really happy with how this turned out. Looks completely stock, yet is completely custom...the way a Bandit should be. i also redid the needles a bit while i had it all apart :D SO comments, concerns, questions, go!
380829_883390571491_1581690978_n.jpg

391143_884656644271_37319297_n.jpg

Great work Russell!! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Dan! I think you are the only one in the Blue Bandit fan club lol

Back