Ordered my new Tires! White letters in or out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered my new Tires! White letters in or out?

Just dropped hammer on 15x8 Black Rock D-Window Steel in black with Falken Rocky Mountain ATS 31x10.50x15. This is my second Falken set of tires and I like how their white lettering is more of an outline style than a raised style. My Truck is Black with the grey two-tone bumper and lower doors. The wheels have their logo etched in a light silver. Should I mount the tires with the white letters in, or out? Thanks for your opinions!

rockyMountainAtsHead4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just looked at your sig link....if you're mounting them on those same rims my vote is for white lettering in.

Just looked at your sig link....if you're mounting them on those same rims my vote is for white lettering in.

Thanks. They are similar except they are matte black (not glossy) and they have a lug cover cap with light silver lettering on it.

909Black_Detail.jpg

Always go with the white letters out, JMHO. Like this...

picture.php

picture.php

Yep, I'm gonna vote out seeing that sweet ST.

For an off-road rig I vote Black out as the white will look nasty quickly once your sidewalls get used when wheeling.

If its more street than off-road, I think White out looks good with dark rims.. even more so with dark vehicle.

~Mark

I agree with Maniak. Off road=letters in, Mostly street=letters out!

White letters out on two wheels, white letters in on two wheels.

Two out on one side, two in on the other.

That way it looks different from either side, and you can switch 'em, too.

Personally, if I get white letter tires, the white letters go out, despite it being free advertising for the manufacturer. I'd just get blackwalls/black letter tires rather than get white letter tires and then try to hide them. A permanent marker taken to the facing-inward white letters can make it look a little less silly if white letters are the only option.

Hmm, this thread reminds me of another thread :scratch:

In the end, it's all up to you with the direction of the letters. I have done both in/out and I like both styles. I think a lot has to do with the type of wheels like Maniak said.

Oh..It's not hard to clean the white lettering when they get scuffed up and dirty either :p:

Thanks for opinions and +1 on being able to keep them clean. I always had white out on my tires then again they were street tires as my truck is a street truck for the most part (2WD). Since I am going all terrain tires I was just wondering if I should switch it. The least thing I want is to feel like I made a mistake when they are already on.

I always mount the white letters in. I love the look of a clean rig with a hint of shine on the blackwalls.

Off Road In

I used to scuff up the sidewalls of the BFGs on my '71 Power Wagon. White letters would have been shredded.
My black Sport is a street machine. I have the Firehawk Indy 500s with the raised white letters out, 70's style.

photobucket-6132-1310010182700.jpg

i put mine out on rims that color, looks good,
150296_10150303153125165_713775164_15673380_3400610_n.jpg

Out.

i had this dilemma as well, i went with white in, but i really like corkey's and midnight rebel's look too. i think i might go with white out for my next set for a while and see if i like it :)

edit - corkey, how do you like those tires??? i was looking at them for my next set, since i live even higher up in the rocky mountains now heh

Finished product :)

61flU8tC9WL.jpg

61US79wrRBL.jpg

61mZhjDm2vL.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finished product :)

White out- good choice!

edit - corkey, how do you like those tires??? i was looking at them for my next set, since i live even higher up in the rocky mountains now heh

Jen, while I have no experience with mud tires in snow, in theory they shouldn't be as good as an all-terrain or dedicated winter tire in the snow. Mud tires have large blocks and no sipes (biting edges). There are lots of people that run muds in the snow though.

Back