P0171 & P0174 4.0L SOHC's Sport/Sport Trac | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0171 & P0174 4.0L SOHC's Sport/Sport Trac

Wtf

MAJOR CONFUSED:(

i have the p0171 but i dont see leaks and i blew smoke in the intake and dont see anything but i just tried w? a cig all i had. i have obd2 with live data and i noticed one of the o2 volts reads 1.275 and just stays there....is this normal?

i dont even know where the o2 sensors are on my explorer and im guessing there is 4?
i have 2001 ford explorer sport. v6
hard start in morning if cold....thakks in advanced msg me

I checked hose as well. replaced the pcv valve and cleaned that MAF sensor....still no joy. Put a fuel pressure gauge on fuel rail...which was hard to find...(back pass side of fuel rail). And sure enough, my fuel pump is putting out about 30#.......Bought new fuel pump and filter off ebay...Auto stores want $168, I got it for 72 off ebay....Going to tackle that this weekend.

There are regular posts looking for answers to the P0171/P0174 DTC's. The 2001-2003 Sports and 2001-2005 Sport Tracs are legendary for throwing the codes together. Although there ARE instances where intake gaskets, among other issues, are the cause the overwhelming majority of these codes are caused by the PCV elbow cracking on the bottom and causing a substantial vacuum leak. Over & over owners replace gaskets/solenoids/etc only to have this code remain and finally finding the elbow cracked. It's a cheap part, easy to examine/replace so I'm simply posting this to advise those suffering with this code combo to check the elbow thoroughly before looking further. It's so simple that it's ridiculous NOT to check it first.

To be clear, this arrangement is NOT on Job 1 builds of the 2001 year models.

View attachment 245917
View attachment 245918View attachment 245919

As a reference, this is the 2001 Job 1 arrangement.
View attachment 245920

There are regular posts looking for answers to the P0171/P0174 DTC's. The 2001-2003 Sports and 2001-2005 Sport Tracs are legendary for throwing the codes together. Although there ARE instances where intake gaskets, among other issues, are the cause the overwhelming majority of these codes are caused by the PCV elbow cracking on the bottom and causing a substantial vacuum leak. Over & over owners replace gaskets/solenoids/etc only to have this code remain and finally finding the elbow cracked. It's a cheap part, easy to examine/replace so I'm simply posting this to advise those suffering with this code combo to check the elbow thoroughly before looking further. It's so simple that it's ridiculous NOT to check it first.

To be clear, this arrangement is NOT on Job 1 builds of the 2001 year models.

View attachment 245917
View attachment 245918View attachment 245919

As a reference, this is the 2001 Job 1 arrangement.
View attachment 245920
Thank you ncranchero! Exactly 10 years after your original post, you have saved me much time and money. Bought Autozone hose (item B80400), cut it to length and problem fixed.

Back