P340 Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P340 Problem

boboz1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hey gang
My truck is giving me a p340 code cam sensor malfunction.
I had it changed and I also heard that the alternator could also cause this problem so this past Sunday I changed the alternator to a brand new one from Bosch.
It ran fine till yesterday after driving for about 1 hour then stopped and turned off the truck for about 15 minutes. When I started it I noticed a miss when it started up and the darn check engine light came back on. My truck runs ok other than the miss when it starts up. I remeber before I changed the alternator the truck stalled on me once at a stop light soon as the red light changed I went to press the gas pedal and it stalled but started right up.

I am out of ideas already anyone got any clues?

So I have new cam sensor and new alternator. What did I miss???
New plugs and wires was change about a year ago.

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The code is for a circuit malfunction.

Check the connector and the wiring for the cam sensor.

Thank you for the response NHale623
I will check it this morning and post my results.

Still open to any other ideas anyone else might have.

Thank you

I checked the wiring but all looks good.
Any other ideas??

Latest results

Ok the latest news on my P0340 code.

I went to see my friend today and he did a scan with some snap on machine I am not sure which one it was but he told me the code was triggered at idle according to the machine it can tell when the code started so I am guessing it can determine at rmp it started at.

Now he then probe the CPS sensor wire with another snap on machine. Now this machine showed what the signal suppose to look like. but on my truck it was all over jumping up and down when it shouldn't
The machine kind of reminded me of a heart monitor machine you know with the lines going up and down.

Sorry I forgot what he called everything. But he is stuck and lost for words.
He did have this problem before and it was the alternator but for my I put in a brand new bosch and no luck. As far as he can tell the alt. is working fine. But he did not have the right tool to do a diode test.

As of this point here is a list of what has been changed
CPS sensor
Alternator
Distributor shaft, If that is what they still call it. This was changed due to the famous horrible noises it made. LOL.

My truck runs fine thank god. Only at start up sometimes it will have a slight miss or if you want to call it a surge. But once it does that it runs great.
It kind of makes sense and goes with what his scanner thing said that it started at idle. ???

So I am open to any new advice.

Thank you

did your friend see a Sine wave or a square wave?? the Sine wave is a normal pattern for a VR Cam sensor.

did you/they use the correct Syncronizer Installation tool??

have you checked that all electrical connections and grounds are tight??

was the second tool your friend used called a Vantage?? that's a good/useful tool.

did your friend see a Sine wave or a square wave?? the Sine wave is a normal pattern for a VR Cam sensor.

did you/they use the correct Syncronizer Installation tool??

have you checked that all electrical connections and grounds are tight??

was the second tool your friend used called a Vantage?? that's a good/useful tool.

I think it was sine wave I think. I say that because my other friend that was there also was asking him about something about square wave I remember hearing that word but cant say for sure what they was talking about.

As for the sync tool when they did the job they just told me they had to go and buy one that day when I brought it in since they did not have one but they did do it before when they use to work at some other shop.

As far as grounds and connection we check only what we have touched in the past and as for ground. I have not check any. Where would I start? Battery ground? then just all ground wires I see around the engine?

As for the tool vantage? I am not sure but all I know is the two he used was both from snap on and one was about 8000. and the other about 3000.

Times like this I wish I stayed in the auto repair jobs. But I got out of it way back before OBD2 came out.

I thank you for your response cjones101812
I will be checking more wiring and hope I can find something I will update when I find out more.

Any other tips from anyone will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Problem Solved.

Had my friend check out the truck once again and he reset the what I call it distributor shaft. I know there is another name for it.

He borrowed his friend tool to sync it and this time his friend gave him 2 different ones. He told him last time he used it for my truck he only got 1 sync tool. So now he figured it out he used the wrong one on my truck. I guess the 5.0's has 2 different sync tools have to match with Vin. maybe? But both sync tools fit just one is about 1 degree off I was told.

So now it's all good.
Thank you to the guys who tried to help with the tips I got here in the thread and also
through private messages.

So now my friend bought a whole set of sync tools from snap on so he wont run in to this problem again. LOL.
Mahalo Much

Back