• Register Today It's free!

pads rotors

lorraine1

Reaction score
City, State
wva
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
trying to figure out why my pads wear a small ring around the rotors,anyone else had this problem?rotor or caliper?it has new brake pads,igot them from ebay.the ring around the rotor is maybe an inch wide,the whole pad is not contacting the rotor.sorry dont have a photo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stuck caliper? Is it just one wheel or all four?

How many rotors are showing this kind of wear? Is it on both sides? Did this start after installing the e-Bay pads? Have to ask...what brand pads did you get? There is an awful lot of junk pads being sold these days.

Sounds like you only did a "pad slap". Pretty common unless the rotors were turned. Never hurts to remove, clean, and lubricate the caliper pins. Hopefully the pads will wear evenly after some miles.

Did you have the rotors turned or install new ones? Sounds like you didn't.

If there's enough meat left on the rotors you can get them turned, but if you've installed new pads on your unevenly worn rotors you'll need to replace the pads again so that both the pads and the rotors match.

If you had your rotors turned, or installed new rotors with the new pads, and are seeing an uneven contact wear, your caliper mounting brackets might be bent.

No it's one rotor,I'm thinking it may have rust inside the caliper keeping it from working right. Rotors were not turned bought the vehicle and noticed it. I buy ceramic pads and use them. I have had good luck with eBay products for about 15 or 20 years using their products.

Without a picture of the rotor it’s anyone’s guess. It’s possible the previous owner replaced a single rotor, and the one with the uneven wear is older. Rotors are so cheap now I usually replace them every other set of pads.

If your pads are correct, and installed correctly you’ll almost certainly need two rotors and another set of pads to fix the issue.

No it's one rotor,I'm thinking it may have rust inside the caliper keeping it from working right. Rotors were not turned bought the vehicle and noticed it. I buy ceramic pads and use them. I have had good luck with eBay products for about 15 or 20 years using their products.

IDK about that conclusion. The only issue I've ever had with a caliper is that the piston sticks (due to rust of wear in its bore) or the slide pins are worn or rusted. Both of these conditions will cause a caliper to drag on the rotor causing the vehicle to pull to the right or left, bring down your fuel economy and cause the rotor to overheat. I've read about bent caliper mounting brackets, but I don't know how that would happen (other than some sort of impact).

When doing brakes It's always best to turn or replace rotors, though I admit I sometimes go with the "pad slap and go" if the rotor wear looks even. Eventually the new pads wear to any unevenness in the rotor as long as it's not excessive. Rotors have a minimum thickness, below which they can't be turned. This minimum measurement is usually cast right into the rotor. Before turning a rotor should also be checked for run-out (warp-age) and not tuned if out of max run-out. As said, rotors are so cheap now you might as well just replace them if they worn unevenly.

And, don't buy the cheapest rotors and brake pads you can find...there is a reason they are cheap. Unfortunately, most all rotors are made in China these days and it's become a real challenge to determine which ones are going to last. Even the old quality name brands are questionable. In short, most are made to be throw-aways at each changing of pads. Last time I had some rotors turned was about 4 yrs ago and it cost me about $15/ea at the local O'Reillys...and, those were for my '75 Chevy Laguna S-3 with factory rotors that were of much higher quality steel (and, thicker to begin with) to allow them to be turned at least once.

And, don't buy the cheapest rotors and brake pads you can find...there is a reason they are cheap. Unfortunately, most all rotors are made in China these days and it's become a real challenge to determine which ones are going to last. Even the old quality name brands are questionable. In short, most are made to be throw-aways at each changing of pads. Last time I had some rotors turned was about 4 yrs ago and it cost me about $15/ea at the local O'Reillys...and, those were for my '75 Chevy Laguna S-3 with factory rotors that were of much higher quality steel (and, thicker to begin with) to allow them to be turned at least once.

When I replaced the front rotors on our '00 RWD Mountaineer 2 years ago (because they were warped) I bought 2 from RockAuto. I don't recall what brand they were but IIRC they were around $35-$37 each (plus bearings and seals). They've been find so far. As you said, these days even the better brands are made in China. ISO certified are supposed to be the best ones. I'll see if I can find the brand in my email receipts folder.

Edit:
RAYBESTOS 66597R Rotor $32.79 9 ($27.79 now)

Note: 4x4/AWD front rotors are much less expensive.

Back