• Register Today It's free!

PATS security 2005 explorer

KentKegley

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello all, I got a 2005 explorer Eddie Bauer edition from a friend of mine and he gave it to me because the PATS system was triggered after the battery went dead in it. We tried to get it started and it will crank if you jump the starter solenoid but still will not run. Can I get a computer (ECM) with matching key and have it work from another explorer??? I’ve heard the PATS system consists of the following… the key, the transceiver in the column, the ECM, and the gauge cluster. So if anyone knows if I’d be able to just replace the key, with matching ECM from another and it work…? Please let me know. Thanks to ALL in advance with ANY advice. I’m stuck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A mobile locksmith can re-program your current key to the current computer.

You can also do it yourself with some work with a program called FORScan and a laptop.

You can also swap in a matched computer and key.

A mobile locksmith can re-program your current key to the current computer.

You can also do it yourself with some work with a program called FORScan and a laptop.

You can also swap in a matched computer and key.
Do you happen to know a ballpark figure for the mobile locksmith cost? And does the FORScan program cost anything?

Do you happen to know a ballpark figure for the mobile locksmith cost? And does the FORScan program cost anything?
And thank you for all the info this far, you have been extremely helpful!

I think it’d be in the 90-200 range depending where you are. FORScan and the trial license are free, however you need a plug in dongle that works with it to hook to your laptop.

I think it’d be in the 90-200 range depending where you are. FORScan and the trial license are free, however you need a plug in dongle that works with it to hook to your laptop.
Okay awesome! Thank you so very much. I’ll give that a try, and if I can’t get it I’ll get ahold of a mobile locksmith.

Ohhh… okay awesome thanks for the response! I will definitely give that a try real soon. Thank you again

!! UPDATE !! I recently went to the local wrecking yard and was lucky enough to find an 04 explorer with the key in the ignition. I took these items:
Key,
Cylinder ignition lock,
Ignition lock transceiver,
Computer (located in passenger kickpanel)
…..swapped all those things and it fired right up!! Thank you for all who gave advice, and I hope this advice can also help others in their future endeavors.

The ignition rf receiver is still a good part. It simply reads the key, it’s not matched to anything.

The ignition rf receiver is still a good part. It simply reads the key, it’s not matched to anything.
Correct. It’s not matched to anything….but can go bad and not send or receive the keys signal, so I replaced it anyway to eliminate the part entirely from being the culprit. A faulty rf receiver will have the same symptoms as a faulty or non matched computer. But yes for clarification it does not have to be matched to the computer or the key.

!! UPDATE !! I recently went to the local wrecking yard and was lucky enough to find an 04 explorer with the key in the ignition. I took these items:
Key,
Cylinder ignition lock,
Ignition lock transceiver,
Computer (located in passenger kickpanel)
…..swapped all those things and it fired right up!! Thank you for all who gave advice, and I hope this advice can also help others in their future endeavors.

A lot of unnecessary work some something 15 minutes with a laptop would have solved...

Also you forgot the door lock so now they're unmatched...

A lot of unnecessary work some something 15 minutes with a laptop would have solved...

Also you forgot the door lock so now they're unmatched...
Link to procedure?

Back