Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap

Well.. once again I've caved in to peer pressure.. you guys are a bad influence!!!

I've decided that this summer will see me do an Electric shift 4406 conversion aswell as a full width SAS/SOA conversion.

Now, I've been offered the entire front end from a 79 bronco for $400 or the entire from end from an 89 Ramcharger for $100...

My intentions are to use coil springs and RAs up front not leaf springs,

So which Dana 44 will be best? Can I put the spring seats on the Dodge axle? The Dodge set up comes with the vacuum set up, but I'll be switching to an elec locker at a later date anyway.

The cost is not the issue, I want to use the correct stuff first off,

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a GEM from a 00 Explorer and it must've been faulty... cos it gave no end of issues... I'll get it figured out though, if I can't use the elec case, i've got the manual to fall back on...

Si

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

In the meantime, I decided to start stripping down an Explorer 8.8 and a Fullsized 8.8 from an 88 F150..

The Explorer 8.8 was allegedly a limited slip equipped version.. upon opening it, I have my doubts...I know the spider gears are toast..

CAM00893_zps2e290cda.jpg

CAM00892_zps8ef061bb.jpg

This is how the full sized one looks
CAM00894_zpsf930155b.jpg

My intentions are to make a full sized 8.8 with disc brakes, limited slip, 5.13s and a truss...
I'd like to run SOA in the rear, to give me enough lift to get it equal with the lift in the front, but, I've been advised against this and to just run SUA with highly arched springs...

Si

If you are after a stock limited slip I would just invest in a new "S" clip to throw in there. That is the only difference between a stock open rear end and a limited slip.

ok, well, I will have to strip it down to replace the spider gears, unless I can get a decent price on a upgraded LS set up...

Si

If you are going to get into replacing bearings and spider gears, you may want to look at the kits clutch style limited slip kits available for the 8.8. Those are much more effective than the stock set up.

ok, thanks, I don't really want a full locker in the back, just limited slip and I'm thinking of an elec locker for the D44 up front.. obviously cost dependent... I'm on a budget of selling parts off that I don't need to fund the ones I do want... again...

Si

it doesn't have to be a full locker, there are other kinds available besides the spring between the spider gears.. Just a thought, it has been a dream of mine to do but haven't got around to it yet.

Have you figured you coil buckets out. Yhey should work the 2 gen has straight frame right the first gen has a bump on the left side i just measured from. Side to side on the frame and added a 1/4-1/2 inch on each side to compensate for buckets and then measured from side of coil seat to coil seat and if thay are the same they will be fine i have a first gen and i have a wider axle out of a f250 so i had to move my buckets 2 inches out on each side so i used square tube and this helped compensate for the bump

Have you figured you coil buckets out. Yhey should work the 2 gen has straight frame right the first gen has a bump on the left side i just measured from. Side to side on the frame and added a 1/4-1/2 inch on each side to compensate for buckets and then measured from side of coil seat to coil seat and if thay are the same they will be fine i have a first gen and i have a wider axle out of a f250 so i had to move my buckets 2 inches out on each side so i used square tube and this helped compensate for the bump

After looking at yours you might need to add 3/4 to each side as your come out more the ones i bought from duff were flat so i added 1/2

I haven't even looked at that stuff yet.. I'm going to get all the parts together, build up the axles and I might even build a frame up and then swap everything over to a new frame, I haven't decided yet

Si

Honestly if i had a do over i would have. Did body off or just got a new frame with no motor or anything and built it up

Whilst stripping both axles last week, I smashed my finger while undoing the nuts on the caliper backing plate... it's taken a week to stop hurting enough to be able to carry on.

I managed to get both axles fully stripped tonight and the caliper brackets bolted up to the full size 8.8....

I checked the LS carrier, and it does have the clutch packs, however, I think I'm gonna look for a locker, selectable would perfect... but, I think one that does it's own thing will be what I can afford...

I've got to buy new outer seals, gears and a locker before it can be put back together... then I also need to order top n bottom perches, and then I can paint it...

Attachments

• CAM00935_zps70ac5411.jpg
    CAM00935_zps70ac5411.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 349
  • CAM00937_zps149bfaf8.jpg
    CAM00937_zps149bfaf8.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 302

I've been pricing out gears and an install kit...
Yukon Gears 5.13s $207.61
Install Kit $167.84

With taxes n shipping it comes to $446.48

:(

I was hoping to pay around half that...

Si

I've managed to find a NIB install kit for $100.... so.. is $254 shipped for Yukons for the rear a good price?

I've since found a set for $200 shipped

Si

Ordered Yukon 5.13s for the rear today... gonna order the truss soon...

Out of interest, what did a narrow D44 come in?

Si

The narrower Dana 44 came in the early Bronco's.

ok, and they were 5x5.5 still? Did they have the cast wedges? Mine's out of a 78 and has cast wedges.

I'm a little concerned that with the 12" wide rims, 14" wide tires and the axles being 6" wider than stock, I'm gonna have a massive problem getting flares to cover them and the police will take it off the road

Si

I'm gonna have a massive problem getting flares to cover them

Si

find a door mat that says "welcome" on it, cut it up, bolt to factory flares.

DONE!

:D

Back