Pickle needs more inches... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pickle needs more inches...

ok... so Pickle is currently sitting on a 3" BL, Warrior 153s, 4dr rear leaf spring packs and a TT with 33" tires...

Now.. As far as I can tell, I have 2 options open to me SAS/SOA or a Superlift 4" suspenion lift...

My argument for the Superlift kit is - it's bolt on and is relatively easy to do..
My argument agaist it - $2500... still have IFS and an open front diff

My argument for SAS/SOA - I can go a lot higher than the superlift 4" suspension lift and will also make my track wider
My argument against - I can't weld, I don't want manual hubs, I want working ABS and speedo... and I don't know what the costs are.

So... here we are.. I am going to be learning how to weld this summer (hopefully)...

Any suggestions - arguments for and against would be great.. also info on what would be the best set ups to use.. after doing some reading on the forum I'm thinking I don't want leaf springs up front....

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking about doing the 1st gen frame swap... issue being.. finding a decent unrotten frame here is like finding hen's teeth... I'm not planning on doing it this weekend, it's gonna take me a while to find all the parts I want.. I am just looking for pointers/info/things to not do... I'm grateful for all the input so far tho

Si

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Here's a better idea. Instead of lifting and lifting to fit a bigger tire. Just take a saw to the fenders. Keep it low and stable

You live in the rust bucket right? So why not, it'll only rot off at some point anyways.

That's really the best choice, especially if you don't wanna spend a lot of money. You can fit larger tires, stay stable, and have a smooth ride down the freeway.

Leave the lift you have, throw 35's under it, and start trimming to fit.

Gman fit 35's with a tt and body lift with very little trimming. If you do it like Corkey you wont even be able to tell if you get the fenders re-painted after the body work

I had 35s on... but they rubbed on the frame both ways.. I wanna get away from that.. and no trimming

Si

The frame? What rims you got?

on 35s (315 75 16)
100820111679.jpg

They rubbed on the frame with the slightest turn of the wheel

Si

Well, After reading for hours on end, I think I'm gonna gonna go with 98 F150 8.8 rear end, with a 79 bronco front, that should give me a wide enough track, and give me the stance I want.

Now to start hoarding parts... :D

Si

I know I'm not the only one who thought of something very different when they saw the thread title.

Back