Pitman Arm Questions ('93 Ranger 4x4) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pitman Arm Questions ('93 Ranger 4x4)

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
OK, I have a '93 Ranger 4x4, 4.0L/5spd
The pitman arm is bad. The tapered hole for the center link ball joint is worn out, so there is WAY too much slop in that connection.
Sounds like an easy enough fix, right? Wrong...
Every parts source I can find lists Moog K8754 (or a simlar "house" brand part) as the replacement. It's the wrong part. This part# is straight. It appears to be for a 2wd Ranger. The old, stock part on my truck has a bit of a drop to it. No, my truck is not lifted.
I've tried looking it up for a B4000, but then they have nothing listed at all.

I have found Moog part# K80787, listed for a 4x4 '91-'94 Explorer. This part looks more like what's on my truck. The Explorer seems to use all the same part#'s as the Ranger, for all the other steering linkage parts (as I would expect.) My question is, does anybody KNOW (not think, suppose, or guess), that the '91-'94 Explorer 4x4 pitman arm should be the same as my '93 4x4 Ranger? I can't imagine any reason why it would be different, but who knows? Maybe the Explorer mounted the steering box at a different height relative to the linkage?
Please help. I need to do something asap. I need the truck to make money, and right now it's not safe to drive.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.amazon.com/Moog-K80787-P...ake=Ford|54&Year=1993|1993&newCar=1&carId=001

I went to this site and it says No when you punch in the info to see if it fits your truck.

Yes, I know that. All the various parts stores,etc... (including Moog's online catalog) say that K80787 is for a '91-'94 Explorer 4x4 only. However, I'm sure they are all just using Moog's catalog/application info, so if that is wrong then they are all wrong. That's why I was asking here. I was looking for a response from someone who has personally seen/held/touched the pitman arm from both a Ranger and an Explorer, of the appropriate year ranges, and/or has actually used one from one vehicle in another and found no difference.

I do like using Moog products as a replacement for my suspension but would you consider Rancho?

Try this part number I looked it up on Oreilly's Auto and Rock Auto
RS8703

The picture shows it to have a slight bend. Good luck

I do like using Moog products as a replacement for my suspension but would you consider Rancho?

Try this part number I looked it up on Oreilly's Auto and Rock Auto
RS8703

The picture shows it to have a slight bend. Good luck

I've seen that part too.I would use it if it was the right part, but nobody lists any measurements, or concrete application info; not even the Rancho website.

People, I've done my homework. If you can find it on a mainstream parts store's website, so can I, and I probably already have.

I don't mean to be rude, and I appreciate that you want to help, but I was specifically looking to avoid these kinds of "guessing game" types of responses. They are not helpful.

What I am looking for, and the only thing I was asking for, is personal experience from someone. In other words, I want someone to post: "I have held a '93-'97 Ranger 4x4 pitman arm and a '91-'94 Explorer 4x4 pitman arm in my hands. They are the same" (or are NOT the same, as the case may be)
OR
"I have personally (or stood there and watched it done) taken a used one off of one of them, and put it on the other. They are the same."
OR
"Nope, I've tried to do it and they don't line up for reason xyz,blah,blah,blah"
OR
" I ordered one listed for the Explorer, and it fit my Ranger perfectly"

Something like that. Actual, hands-on, definite personal knowledge.

With all the enthusiasts and wrenchers on here, I didn't think it would be so hard to find someone with that experience.

Buy one and if it don't fit take it back.

I think I still have the original from my '93 (it was on for about 2 years.)

If you are interested in it, I'll go look for it.

...I have held both a 91-94 4x4 Explorer and a 93-97 4x4 Ranger pitman arm in my hands..:shifty_ey ..I don't know why saying this makes me feel so cheap..:(

...The only thing you need to know is if your existing 4x4 pitman arm is indexed "X" or "+"...

..If Scott doesn't find his old one for you, give these guys a shout...;)
http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/radiusarms.html

...I have held both a 91-94 4x4 Explorer and a 93-97 4x4 Ranger pitman arm in my hands..:shifty_ey ..I don't know why saying this makes me feel so cheap..:(

Eww.........

Just buy the Explorer arm. Explorers and 4x4 Rangers are infact the exact same pitman arm. 100% positive. Have had both of them in my hand also.
I've completely lost track of how many Ranger errors there are in that stupid POS Moog catalog (and no one seems to care either). :rolleyes:

If you REEEAAAALLLY wanted to be sure though, just grab one off a 4x4 Ranger at a junkyard. Pitman arms are not a wear item... Unless physically damaged (would be visible like on yours), it would be just as good as getting a new arm (and a lot cheaper too, just bring a puller with you).

I think I still have the original from my '93 (it was on for about 2 years.)

If you are interested in it, I'll go look for it.
I appreciate it, but I think I'd rather have a new one. If that doesn't work out, I might take you up on it though.

LOL! Thanks.:thumbsup: That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

...The only thing you need to know is if your existing 4x4 pitman arm is indexed "X" or "+"...
Oh great, just when I thought we were making progress :rolleyes:.
What is this? How do I tell the difference? None of the replacement parts make any mention of this.

Just buy the Explorer arm. Explorers and 4x4 Rangers are infact the exact same pitman arm. 100% positive. Have had both of them in my hand also.
I've completely lost track of how many Ranger errors there are in that stupid POS Moog catalog (and no one seems to care either). :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I wanted an actual hands-on confirmation

If you REEEAAAALLLY wanted to be sure though, just grab one off a 4x4 Ranger at a junkyard. Pitman arms are not a wear item... Unless physically damaged (would be visible like on yours), it would be just as good as getting a new arm (and a lot cheaper too, just bring a puller with you).

Actually, I wouldn't be too sure of that. If you climbed under the truck and grabbed the center link/pitman joint, you'd find nothing wrong. The only way I found it was to look at it, while someone jerked the steering wheel back and forth. After disconnecting the center link stud, the tapered hole in the pitman doesn't actually look bad, to the naked eye. However, it is still loose, even with the nut, for the center link stud, bottomed out. This was the case with the 3 month old center link I just removed, as well as the brand new one I just put in. So, it must be the pitman arm. There is no easy way I would have found a similar issue on a junkyard part/vehicle.

On top of that, it may not be whole lot cheaper. The yards around here don't really allow self service anymore, and they won't touch a lot of parts for less then $50. They'd rather just junk a part with the car, if they can't get at least $40-$50. To me, they are just being selfish *******s, throwing a temper tantrum,(waa,waa. If we can't get a ridiculous amount for our parts, we'll show you. We'll just throw away what you need so you can't have it.) and wasting a lot of parts people need. (umm... Oops, mini-rant off.)

Anyway, thanks guys. I guess I'll just order a new "Explorer" part.

If the arm was damaged in the way you say, the tapered stud would basically fall out of the hole when you remove the nut. You'd know a 'good' arm by the fact you'd need your pickle fork (or hammer, if you prefer) and some force to separate the joint ;)

Anyway, good luck on it :thumbsup:

OK, so it's a year later.... But, I just figured I'd finally follow up on this and post the "conclusion".

It turned out, the original pitman arm itself was probably ok, although I learned this after replacing it, and having the same issue.

I also replaced the the center link twice, with no improvement. Both times, I used cheap parts. Different brands, different sources (Rock, and Autozone) Both seemed to have the same issue, of the stud never really bottoming out in the tapered hole in the pitman arm.

So, I replaced it one more time, with a Moog center link. When comparing it visually with both of the "cheap" parts, you could see the Moog stud appeared to be slightly thicker. I installed it, and..... problem solved!

It would seem that both cheap replacements probably came from the same Chinese factory, using the same wrong stud/taper dimensions! So, I guess the lesson is that sometimes you have to spring for the "good" parts!

Back