Poor gas mileage with '03 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Poor gas mileage with '03 Explorer?

hlenoble

Reaction score
City, State
SF Bay Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Sport Trac XLT, 4WD
I posted in another MPG thread, but the thread has so many responses that are slightly off topic that I decided to start a new thread.

I just bought an '03 Explorer with 27K miles. It is 4WD, and has the 4.0 liter 6 cyl engine, and the tow package. The tow package changes to a 3.73 rear end from the standard 3.55 rear.

I am getting about 14 MPG around town and 16 - 16.5 MPG highway. This is very disappointing to me, as it's worse MPG than I used to get with my 1995 Explorer Sport.

I should mention that I set the cruise between 73 - 74 MPH, so I'm not really pushing it, even if I am not driving at 65 MPH.

The bottom line is that I am looking to see if this gas mileage is the norm for the year. Does the 3.73 rear end make a significant decrease in MPG?

Finally, if this is lower than "the norm" what should I do about the poor MPG? Any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Hal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 02 4x4 with the 4.6 V8 and the 3.73 tow package. driving back and forth to work only, (about a 1.5 mile commute thru a neighborhood-lots of stopsigns) I seem to average about 12-13 mpg. When I get on the freeway, keeping it at 60mph my mpg will work it's way up to about 20-21, and that's about it. If I set the cruise between 80 and 85, my mpg will hover between 17.5 and 18.5
hope that helps ya some.

I have an '02 XLT 4X4 with the 4.0, 98,444 miles. I get 16 to 18 around town (depending on whether my wife or 16 year old daughter is driving or me ;) ) and 21 to 23 on trips. I set the cruise on 70 for interstate driveing. I travel mostly in the mountains south of here, or the flatland up north. 21.6 in the mountains, 23 in the flat lands.

Dave

I have a 2003 XL that geta about 18-19 in town and up to 23 on the road.
It is a stock 6.
Jeff

Wow, I must drive a little harder than you guys.

I get at most 18mpg 90% highway, 4.0, 3.55, stock.

Set your cruise control to 69 for a tank, and recheck mileage
It doesn't seem like much, but it will make a huge difference
I get 22 mpg at 68-69 mph, I believe the slower speed results in faster travel, because I don't fill up as often

jtsmith said:
Set your cruise control to 69 for a tank, and recheck mileage
It doesn't seem like much, but it will make a huge difference
I get 22 mpg at 68-69 mph, I believe the slower speed results in faster travel, because I don't fill up as often

Ditto - I have a 99 XLT V8 AWD and I also get around 20 - 22 mpg on the highway criusing around 65.

Speed kills .... mileage. Keep it below 70, preferably around 65.

Good luck ......

hlenoble said:
Does the 3.73 rear end make a significant decrease in MPG?

Doubtful. I have the same gears and get over 30 MPG.

My 03 is basically the same as yours, 4.0, 4x4 w/tow package. I get on 16 to 17 city mileage, about 21 on the highway at 70 mph. One thing that can make a difference on mileage is your gas. We have no fuel mandates here in central OK, but in NY you may have oxygenate requirements that will reduce you mpg. I hope this helps.

Ok, I just took the X on my first road trip; to Denver. it was 382 miles and I used 16.6 gallons. So that is about 23.5MPG. Now my wife took it before this about 250 miles and averaged 19MPG. I have done 3 mods to it between these trips:
1. Cut the exhast it so it is coming out behind the rear tire.
2. I did the Brown Wire Mod for 3rd Gen.
3. Probably what made the difference, I changed the air filter. The old one was pretty bad.
I have an '02 4.0 with stock Michelin X-terrains @ 41psi. About the same load weight on both trips using 88 octane. And I have synthetic oil.

Sorry, I do not have the tow package and the average trip speed was 77MPH.
Jared G.

Ive got an 03 4.6 V8 and i get 9.0 mpg lol. Some would say i have a lead foot.

More Info

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have changed the oil to Mobil 1 synthetic and replaced the air filter, but it's too early to tell if that made a difference. I am planning to change the trans fluid and rear end fluid to full synthetic as well, both for longevity and the fact that I will be towing a 3000 lb travel trailer a few times this summer. I will try to stay under 70 my next trip to see what difference it makes. I'll update you all with the results. Meanwhile, all replies and suggestions are appreciated.

- Hal

srmfball i feel your pain! I am in chicago also and i get about 11 mpg city driving. I have a 12 mile drive to work all local roads and if i get it on the road i get about 15 mpg. I definitely think it has something to do with the gas requirements. About 1 1/2 years ago I drove to Ohio and back and filled up in Columbus and then filled up in Indiana just before the IL state line and I averaged 17.5 mpg and I was doing about 75-80 the whole way. I have the v8 with AWD and my mom has a v6 in her 04 and she gets about the same mileage as I do.

Wow, I also have an '03 Explorer V6 4x2 and so far I believe the average fuel consumption is real low as well. I couldn't tell but I think I am around 15 mpg. I just purchased it as well and first filled it with reguler and then topped it off after driving half a tank (150 miles) with the E85. On that note, do you notice a drop off in mpg with E85? Thanks.

15 mpg is that in the city or on the highway?

I can't use E85 in my V8. I don't think my mom has tried it in her V6. There aren't any stations real close to us and she doesn't travel all that far. I did read that your mileage isn't as high when you run E85 and can be up to 25-30% less depending on driving habits. How much was E85 compared to good old gasoline?

From what I have seen it isn't much cheaper and I'd rather use the gasoline if you are gonna get better mileage with it than E85. It all balances out I think

Lousy mileage in '05 XLT

I recently purchased a used 2005 XLT 4.0L V6 with 34K miles on it and in my first 500 miles or so, I'm only getting about 13 MPG. My driving is a fairly equal mix of freeway and city driving, and I'm not a a "lead foot". This is pretty disappointing, especially since I got at least 13-14 mpg on my '96 XLT 5.0L V8 doing the same driving.

Any suggestions on what I might do to increase the MPG?

You might want to check when the vehicle was last serviced, regular maintenance is key to better gas mileage. By the way I have an 02 XLT V8 with the tow package and I average between 14-18 mpg in town and have seen as good as 24.7 mpg on the freeway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

prerunner02 said:
You might want to check when the vehicle was last serviced, regular maintenance is key to better gas mileage. By the way I have an 02 XLT V8 with the tow package and I average between 14-18 mpg in town and have seen as good as 24.7 mpg on the freeway.

According to CarFax, it was a previous rental for a major rental company so I think it's fairly safe to presume that it has been maintained fairly well over it's lifetime to this point. I bought it from a local Ford dealer. I wonder if the dealer will share whatever service info they have on it? Before I purchased it, I asked the salesman about the maintenance status and as you might expect he said that you can expect everything to be in top condition.

Out of curiosity, what kind of maintenace things would make that much difference on a relatively new vehicle like this? It idles and runs great except for the gas mileage. New spark plugs? Air filter?

Back