• Register Today It's free!

Power Antenna

jordanka16

Reaction score
City, State
Corvallis, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
I have a '96 Explorer Sport that has had the radio wiring mangled by the previous owner, I have managed to get the radio working again, but the power antenna is stuck in it's closed position.

The wires that provide it power from the radio have been cut, and I have tried to manually extend it but it doesn't budge. I had the idea to put power to the motor temporarily to extend it but can't figure out which wires do that. I can see two wires coming from the motor, one is green with a yellow stripe and the other is red, powering either does nothing. At this point I just want the antenna extended, I don't care if it goes up and down, I just want more than one radio station.

First picture is the motor with the two wires coming from it, second is where the wires end, they are to the left and wound around the antenna wire. There is also a plug in the bottom of the picture with two wires the same color as the antenna wires.

Thanks for any help.

th_SL371702.jpg

th_SL371705.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could hook the antenna wire to the ignition wire on the radio. Your antenna will go up when you start the truck, go down when you turn it off. Im not sure but one of those should be ground I think. If you want to just run it up without going thru that just tap the wires on a 12 volt battery untill its up. one way will do nothing -since its already down-, the other way will run it up.

I've tried putting power to both those wires and nothing happens, I guess it's possible the motor is dead? If so, does anyone know how to extend the antenna without power?

I've tried putting power to both those wires and nothing happens, I guess it's possible the motor is dead? If so, does anyone know how to extend the antenna without power?

Was the other wire grounded? if so, then I would think its dead. But Im not 100% on it.

yes, I've put power to both wires with the other grounded, and I've hooked them up to the battery directly, and nothing happens. There is also no continuity between both of them, or between them and ground. So I think the motor is dead, or there's a switch that has to be turned on somewhere first.

What's the best way to get at that motor, through the wheel well?

Youl probably have to take the fender off, and thats a job - front bumper and all of the grill has to come off. If you dont mind spending $25, you could get an amplified antenna from Advance Auto. It sticks on your windshield behind your rear veiw mirror and works very well.

yes, I've put power to both wires with the other grounded, and I've hooked them up to the battery directly, and nothing happens. There is also no continuity between both of them, or between them and ground. So I think the motor is dead, or there's a switch that has to be turned on somewhere first.

What's the best way to get at that motor, through the wheel well?

If you get no continuity thru the wires to the motor and direct power application doesn't turn it, then motor is dead. Antenna assembly is removed thru the wheel well, you do NOT have to remove fender. Jack up vehicle and remove wheel (to provide working space), then remove fender liner (you may be able to just remove fasteners at rear and pull it loose enough to get at antenna). You will have to remove chrome piece at top of antenna mount (has two holes in it - if you don't have an antenna wrench, a pair of neddle nose pliers will work). Then there are one or two nuts/bolts inside fender that hold assembly in place. I finally gave up on mine; just got it extended and left it alone. I can push mine up/down for the rare car wash.

Cut the wheel all the way to the left, drop down the fender liner and you should be able to get it out. I had to do a few of them when I was an installer. Luckily mine is stuck in the up position :)

If you get no continuity thru the wires to the motor and direct power application doesn't turn it, then motor is dead. Antenna assembly is removed thru the wheel well, you do NOT have to remove fender. Jack up vehicle and remove wheel (to provide working space), then remove fender liner (you may be able to just remove fasteners at rear and pull it loose enough to get at antenna). You will have to remove chrome piece at top of antenna mount (has two holes in it - if you don't have an antenna wrench, a pair of neddle nose pliers will work). Then there are one or two nuts/bolts inside fender that hold assembly in place. I finally gave up on mine; just got it extended and left it alone. I can push mine up/down for the rare car wash.

How did you get yours extended? Mine seems to be stuck and I can't pull it up no matter what I do.

How did you get yours extended? Mine seems to be stuck and I can't pull it up no matter what I do.

First, according to the wiring diagram, there are two wires going into the antenna motor from the "power antenna module" - one is red/pink and the other dark green/yellow. The module provides the power to the motor via those wires, reversing polarity to change the motor direction. Are those the colors you were putting power to?? Hard to tell for sure from the pics.

The antenna mast has a flexible nylon core with notches; these notches mesh with a toothed nylon drum that the motor turns, wrapping the nylon core around the drum. The motor is probably frozen and won't release that flexible nylon core. Assuming you don't want to try and repair the thing, do this. Once you have the assembly out of the vehicle, take apart the housing that encloses the motor, drum, etc. At some point you will see the round nylon drum; it will most likely have the nylon core wrapped around it. Pull that drum, etc out and cut off the nylon core flush with the base of the antenna. The mast should now pull freely up and down; discard the stuff from inside, put the housing back together, and reinstall the assembly. You should now have a "manual" antenna like in the old days. Good luck.
PS - Dont forget to plug the fat black antenna wire back into the antenna base; otherwise, the antenna will do no good up or down.

Yeah, the red/pink and green/yellow wires are the ones I was powering, and I've tried powering them every way I can think of, so I think the motor is dead.

Thanks for the instructions, I think I will just turn it into a manual antenna, I have to take the wheels off anyway to replace the control arms/ball joints.

Back