Power Steering only works one way? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering only works one way?

mechroneal

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XL
I came home last night and noticed that the 92 has a dead spot in the steering, about 15-20 degrees. When you go from turning right to turning left there was quite a bit of wiggle room in between that did nothing.

This morning I started it up, & I have power steering to the right, but not at all to the left. I noticed it was out of fluid, so I topped it off. Still continues.

Any idea what gives? Friend suggested it may be the proportioner (proportioning? proportion? something like that) valve, but wasn't sure if it was located in the power steering pump, or the steering box itself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you had to fill it cause it was empty, maybe there's air in it that could be causing a problem?

What happens if you try going steering lock to steering lock? Same thing?

start the engine, and slowly cycle from lock to lock. that will expel most of the air from the system.

Now, before doing this, find out why you were out of fluid. it doesn't evaporate, so it leaked out somewhere.

Ok, here is what I know/what happened:

I bled the system, it didn't bubble like there was air in it. I limped it home with half power steering, and didn't appear to lose any fluid. Above the steering box, below the PS pump (no pics, sorry) is a plastic cover that moves when you turn the wheel. Also bottom is coated in PS fluid. O think I have a line blocked somewhere, causing a backup past a missing o-ring(?) judging by the fact that it appears to be holding fluid, but only giving PS to the one side.

What else could cause power steering only to one side? I am mystified, and not sure where to start...

I read up the troubleshooting for your problem and it seems like you initially had a leak somewhere, ran out of fluid, and damaged your steering gearbox internally.
Short of disconnecting your pump/gearbox lines and checking them for a suspected obstruction, I don't know of anything else you can do but R&R your steering gear, and possibly the pump as well.

I think the proportioner your friend is referring to is in the brake hydraulics, not the power steering hydraulics.

I read up the troubleshooting for your problem and it seems like you initially had a leak somewhere, ran out of fluid, and damaged your steering gearbox internally.
Short of disconnecting your pump/gearbox lines and checking them for a suspected obstruction, I don't know of anything else you can do but R&R your steering gear, and possibly the pump as well.

I think the proportioner your friend is referring to is in the brake hydraulics, not the power steering hydraulics.

That sounds good. What's involved in an R&R?

EDIT: N/M. You meant "Remove & Replace" thought you meant "Rebuild & Replace".

i thought i was the only one have ps problems this week.. wow. im going through almost the same thing.

Apparently tis the season.

How do I know if it is the steering box, or the pump? Can either be bench-tested? I would hate to replace one, only to find out it was the other, or find out both needed to be replaced.

Apparently tis the season.

How do I know if it is the steering box, or the pump? Can either be bench-tested? I would hate to replace one, only to find out it was the other, or find out both needed to be replaced.

I don't have much more information that I can help you with, I'm sorry... I believe the gearbox is the most likely culprit, probably having internal damage from being operated without hydraulic fluid, but I can't give you a solid yea or nay.

Hope you get a good solution to your problem, friend!

If it's the pump, it will most likely make a loud whining noise. There is no proportioning valve in the steering system; pump or rack, but there is a pressure relief valve in the pump.

If it's the pump, it will most likely make a loud whining noise. There is no proportioning valve in the steering system; pump or rack, but there is a pressure relief valve in the pump.

Ok. I am going to start with the gear box. The PS seems to work fine to the one side, and isn't making any weird noises. I did notice when I attempted to bleed (hold wheel at full stop for about 10 seconds) I heard the relief valve open, but did not observe any bubbling, or rather my helper didn't; should this be alarming?

if there's no air in the system, you wouldn't see any bubbles, unless you were low on ps fluid or it was contaminated

Ok. I am going to start with the gear box. The PS seems to work fine to the one side, and isn't making any weird noises. I did notice when I attempted to bleed (hold wheel at full stop for about 10 seconds) I heard the relief valve open, but did not observe any bubbling, or rather my helper didn't; should this be alarming?

Just FYI, turning your wheel to lock and holding it there is supposed to be detrimental to the system. I quote my Hayne's on the bleeding process:

"...add the specific fluid necessary to bring it up to the proper level. Start the engine and slowly turn the steering wheel several times from left-to-right and back again. Do not turn the wheel completely from lock-to-lock."
Just a plug for any future thread-searchers :)

Got the Chilton's on it last night. Fingers crossed I find a blocked line this weekend, looks like a steering box is $200 + $98 core or so.

Got the Chilton's on it last night. Fingers crossed I find a blocked line this weekend, looks like a steering box is $200 + $98 core or so.

I don't know if it helps, but junkyard ones are only $50 or so around here.. Granted this is Arizona where nothing rusts.. That steering box was used on many year vehicles including f-150/250's, e-150/250's, rangers and explorers.. That means they "should" be able to find use a good, somewhat lower mileage box.. at least thats what it means down here in sunny Az.

~Mark

Hrmm...might be a thought. How often do these go out usually? I would hate to put a dud in, but I bet the odds are pretty low. Good thought. I live in Oregon and it only rains once a year here! It starts in October, and ends in March. I've never had to worry about rust from the wreckers though, I think they have too high a turnover rate.

I don't know if it helps, but junkyard ones are only $50 or so around here.. Granted this is Arizona where nothing rusts.. That steering box was used on many year vehicles including f-150/250's, e-150/250's, rangers and explorers.. That means they "should" be able to find use a good, somewhat lower mileage box.. at least thats what it means down here in sunny Az.

~Mark

Is there a list somewhere?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it is called an interchange book.. but no, I don't have one.. But many junk yards do...

maybe someone on here has one...

I can tell you from personal experience that all of the following interchange...
1992-1994 ford explorer
1984 Ford e-150
1991 ford e-150
unknown year f-250 (I "think" it was a 1990 they took it off)
1988 f-150

I'm on the 3rd steering box in our x (375k on the X now) and it turns out my 2nd one was fine. The issue was the slip joint on the intermediate shaft (shaft between the firewall and the steering box) had rotational play.. I few smacks with a sledge hammer and its fine now.

~Mark

Back