Power Window Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Problems

sadahl

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm having a problem with my front passenger side power window, on my '99 Explorer XLT.

I have already replaced the motor, but after doing so my window would go down, but not back up. I thought that maybe the switch was going bad too, so I took the switch off of another window that I knew worked and still had the same problem. It goes down, but not up.

So now I have no idea what to try. Does anyone happen to have any suggestions? Or maybe had the same problem, and was able to fix it?

Thanks in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We've played around and searched around and it sounds like it may actually be the driver side master window switch that has gone out on that side. We're looking around to find a affordable replacement.

Another possibility is broken wires in the boot between the door and frame. Could be on either front door.

That's one thing I was told, but we checked the boots and the wires look good, and they all actually have an electric current going through them. But it seems the one that's not working has a higher current than the one that is working.

we found some other threads for other types of vehicles with this exact same problem and it turned out being the master switch on the driver door.

I'm hoping that's what the actual problem is. :/

threads are nice but a meter is nicer... get a meter and find out what's happening at the window motor (ie. check for voltage AND grounds as you need BOTH for the window to work). IF need be, compare the metered operation of a totally good window.

+1 for what budwich said. There is no substitute for troubleshooting and analysis, thus allowing decisions to be based on facts instead of speculation.

Back