Premade VS. Custom Cat Back Exhaust | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Premade VS. Custom Cat Back Exhaust

Call a local exhaust shop. Magnaflows are pricey probably around $180 for what you want. So, I would say no less than $300 total on the low side. Unless you find a good local shop that will hook you up.

300-400 Is pretty good IMO since a catback plus installation is about that price.

I just hope losing those rear 2 cats won't f me come inspection time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on avg how much do you think it would run me to get a custom exhaust made with these specs?

X pipe, to a 2 in 1 out magnaflow muffler and a 2.5" tailpipe plus remove the rear 2 cats

That's essentially what I want to do when i get my 5.0

Why would you put a x-pipe on exhaust that uses a 2 in 1 out muffler? :confused:

Why would you put a x-pipe on exhaust that uses a 2 in 1 out muffler? :confused:

Thats the reason why I started this thread. For those, Like Myself, that have no clue about exhaust. The beauty of the site, we dont know enough, and people such as yourself can help us out. Thank you.

300-400 Is pretty good IMO since a catback plus installation is about that price.

I just hope losing those rear 2 cats won't f me come inspection time.

The price will most likely be more than that range, I was just throwing a low number out there.

As fat as the cats, I really do not know. I would think that it might cause a slight problem.

OK, If I go with a dual in dual out muffler, should I have a Y or X pipe to help keep backpressure?

OK, If I go with a dual in dual out muffler, should I have a Y or X pipe to help keep backpressure?

Thats another reason i went with magnaflow, they do an X inside the muffler or a "direct link". But then again i think most do that, i'd do and H or a X if you're gonna run 2 different mufflers. Because its used to equalize pressure, it does give some back pressure but equalizing is the real reason. The reason for a X is for better flow but it takes more room and work, H pipes are ok too but give more back pressure. You don't need much of any back pressure if you get the thing tuned

I have heard that the SOHC loses torque when the back pressue is lost. Ideally I will get enough back on my tax return to get an exhaust and a tuning program but I really do not know. For all of these reasons I think I will go with a dual inlet single outlet for now until I can free up some cash flow.

This is a question that actually should probably be its own thread.....

Say I get the Sniper software (snipertuning.com), how exactly do you know what you need to tune? What needs to be changed/tweaked??

because I thought the X pipe gave more back pressure.

I'm a MAJOR n00b when it comes to this stuff lol.

because I thought the X pipe gave more back pressure.

I'm a MAJOR n00b when it comes to this stuff lol.

Well i guess the thing you gotta understand is people redo thier exhaust to reduce back pressure, to gain power :thumbsup:
But if its all about noise... you can do whatever

Well i guess the thing you gotta understand is people redo thier exhaust to reduce back pressure, to gain power :thumbsup:
But if its all about noise... you can do whatever

It's so not about noise for me. I mean, I want a nice Idle rumble, and a nice sound on acceleration but my goal is AT LEAST 300HP at the crank. I plan to use the fact it's a 302 to its full potential

I just made the back pressure comment because I thought these trucks perform better w/ more back pressure, especially since im prolly not gonna get a tune for lik 5-6 months after i get the exhaust done.

It's so not about noise for me. I mean, I want a nice Idle rumble, and a nice sound on acceleration but my goal is AT LEAST 300HP at the crank. I plan to use the fact it's a 302 to its full potential

I just made the back pressure comment because I thought these trucks perform better w/ more back pressure, especially since im prolly not gonna get a tune for lik 5-6 months after i get the exhaust done.

you'll be good with the 5.0 especialy with a 2 into 1 exhaust you got nothing to worry about, i don't know much about the 4.0 but some people say it needs back pressure :dunno:.

But i know the 5.0 will take a really good free flowing exhuast with grace, with the 2 into 1 exhaust i'd run 3inch muffler and 3 inch tail and 2.5 intermediate pipes. But for dual in dual out or 2 mufflers i;d stick with 2.5inch

i got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and i got them professionally installed but they did an alright job cause my explorer always when i am at a red light or on idle it rattles like crazy.

LOL this post is classic

Ray- we have the same motors. I have an offroad Y pipe going into a single 2.5" pipe then back to a turbo muffler. I had a flowmaster 40 but it got really loud and I wanted something quiet. FYI- I had duals on my truck and lost low end, I dont advise them. Single 2.5" seems to be the best bet. I have no cats. Running no cats is going to make the exhaust tone a LOT louder. Luckily the turbo muffler isnt that loud of a muff. Keeps a smooth tone which gets loud under acceleration. I like it. BTW, I havent forgot about you. I have just been away from my computer. I am shipping out your TB tomorrow

And yes, our trucks only have 2 cats. When I had my Y pipe made, it replaced them with pipe. I have 2.5" pipe running from the manifolds into a magnaflow Y then to a single 2.5" pipe to the rear

you'll be good with the 5.0 especialy with a 2 into 1 exhaust you got nothing to worry about, i don't know much about the 4.0 but some people say it needs back pressure :dunno:.

But i know the 5.0 will take a really good free flowing exhuast with grace, with the 2 into 1 exhaust i'd run 3inch muffler and 3 inch tail and 2.5 intermediate pipes. But for dual in dual out or 2 mufflers i;d stick with 2.5inch

Fantastic. Can't wait to pay off my damn credit cards so I can get my X and add that to the list of obsessions I dump a lot of money into lol.

similar

I have a similar setup w/ Magnaflow. I went with the Y-pipe then the 4x9 muffler 20" body. Magnaflow makes great mufflers, I got the stainless for pretty cheap off ebay. Parts Plus Auto Store was the store, The ended up sending me two of them. But I shipped the one back. From personal experience on the SOHC the y-pipe to the muffler is a pain in arse. The dual in single out would probably have been a much easier set up. I am in no way disappointed though, we made it work. Some cutting and swearing, but we did it. As for the sound mine is a bit loud because it isn't a very long muffler nor very thick. It has a good sound to it though. At higher RPMs it can sound a little bit ricey. But that's to be expected of a V6. It's not a V8 so it'll never sound like one. But the drone isn't bad at all. Even with just a turndown, I only really hear it when I don't turn the radio on. The prices quoted on the forum here are much lower than what I was quoted. I heard just under $200, while I managed to put what I had together for about $100 plus beer for the help. But the only tailpipe I've been able to find that would fit is almost $100 all on it's own. It's a Dynomax mandrel bent 2.5". But like I said I'm really happy with my setup and the ricer sound isn't terrible, just a little bit high pitched when you hit the gas. But sounds great to me and not really like a fart at all.

I just got my inspection done, so now I can play around with my truck all I want haha. I am thinking that depending on how much of a rebate I get, just getting a new muffler for now. Then when I have more time, and money, over the summer to take my exhaust to the next level. This will allow me to see if I like the muffler I choose and research more info about exhaust systems. I will probably go with a Flo Pro for now and take it from there. I am toying with the thought of gettin a dual 2.25" in and out and getting some exhaust piping from an auto parts store. Then I could run my stock tailpipe and another shorter one maybe exiting before/after? the rear tire. Still thinking things over.

I really want to thank everyone for their input, and I really think this thread will be a help for future members as well. Thanks Again.

I just got my inspection done, so now I can play around with my truck all I want haha. I am thinking that depending on how much of a rebate I get, just getting a new muffler for now. Then when I have more time, and money, over the summer to take my exhaust to the next level. This will allow me to see if I like the muffler I choose and research more info about exhaust systems. I will probably go with a Flo Pro for now and take it from there. I am toying with the thought of gettin a dual 2.25" in and out and getting some exhaust piping from an auto parts store. Then I could run my stock tailpipe and another shorter one maybe exiting before/after? the rear tire. Still thinking things over.

I really want to thank everyone for their input, and I really think this thread will be a help for future members as well. Thanks Again.

Anyone have any input for me????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any input? Just throwing it out there haha

Back