Premade VS. Custom Cat Back Exhaust | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Premade VS. Custom Cat Back Exhaust

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found these two MagnaFlow
First One
Second One

Also, the FloPro guy recommended..... FP737

Anyone used any of these?

I need to get the dual in(2.25") and single out 2.5". Seems to me like Magnaflow are very expensive

I understand that they are stainless, but I could almost get an entire exhaust put on with a diff brand muffler for the cost of the Magnaflow. That is a tough one for me.

What if I ran a Magnaflow with a tip coming right off said muffler? Does having a tailpipe have benefits over just having a turn down after the muffler??

I had a magnaflow on my sport, OHV, and it sounded ricey. I would seriously consider one of the flowpros the guy mentioned for you.

Dan

I had a magnaflow on my sport, OHV, and it sounded ricey. I would seriously consider one of the flowpros the guy mentioned for you.

Dan

Well then I Do Not want a Magnaflow. Ricey Is The Last Thing I Want. Not My Thing, That Is For Sure.

Dan

Well then I Do Not want a Magnaflow. Ricey Is The Last Thing I Want. Not My Thing, That Is For Sure.

See, it's personal preference. My magnaflow(s) have never sounded ricey. They have all sounded nice deep and smooth.

I would suggest searching youtube or the like and find one you want the sound of and go from there.

I have heard some SOHC sound good with magnaflows, mainly the rangers, mine just never sounded right with it, even though its the OHV. Searching youtube is one of the better things you can do, even though camera quality plays a big role on how the video will sound. I have a couple videos on there from when I had my magnaflow that I took with a camera phone and the audio and video quality suck. There is a video here that a guy posted where he was doing donuts in the snow, he has a magnaflow and it sounded good.

Dan

I am thinking I will probably go with Flo Pro initially and then go from there. Its my first experimentation with aftermarket exhaust and I am sure I will want to change and tweak no matter what setup I try. My main question now is, would having a turndown right off the muffler perform any better/worse than having a tail pipe?

to give you a idea thats the video hunterdan was talking about.. I have sohc with one magnaflow dual exhaust. You can here it over the music in the video.

I am thinking I will probably go with Flo Pro initially and then go from there. Its my first experimentation with aftermarket exhaust and I am sure I will want to change and tweak no matter what setup I try. My main question now is, would having a turndown right off the muffler perform any better/worse than having a tail pipe?

Having a tail pipe gets it out from under your truck, i can argue it keeps heat under your truck and heats gas and break lines making your truck slower and the brakes not work as good (its more important on cars) and lets emmisions get inside your truck plus vibrations. But some people will say none of that is true. :confused: So you can make your own conclusions on the topic and go from there.

Having a tail pipe gets it out from under your truck, i can argue it keeps heat under your truck and heats gas and break lines making your truck slower and the brakes not work as good (its more important on cars) and lets emmisions get inside your truck plus vibrations. But some people will say none of that is true. :confused: So you can make your own conclusions on the topic and go from there.

Thank You. Someone finally weighed in. I had assumed about as much, but wanted to confirm my thoughts. I know that some people on the site had done a muffler with a turndown and it didnt seem right. Thank you again for the input I really appreciate it.

I am thinking that I will go with a flo pro muffler must likely. 2.25" dual inlets with a single 2.5" outlet.

Thank You. Someone finally weighed in. I had assumed about as much, but wanted to confirm my thoughts. I know that some people on the site had done a muffler with a turndown and it didnt seem right. Thank you again for the input I really appreciate it.

I will tell if you're gonna lift your truck up it probaily wolnt matter much but at stock or lowered i wouldn't do the turn down right after the muffler. I am however a fan of turn downs out the back, They quiet things down inside the truck and make things deeper cause its bouncing off the ground.

I will probably leave the truck pretty much stock height, maybe some shackles and TT down the road.

on avg how much do you think it would run me to get a custom exhaust made with these specs?

X pipe, to a 2 in 1 out magnaflow muffler and a 2.5" tailpipe plus remove the rear 2 cats

That's essentially what I want to do when i get my 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on avg how much do you think it would run me to get a custom exhaust made with these specs?

X pipe, to a 2 in 1 out magnaflow muffler and a 2.5" tailpipe plus remove the rear 2 cats

That's essentially what I want to do when i get my 5.0

Call a local exhaust shop. Magnaflows are pricey probably around $180 for what you want. So, I would say no less than $300 total on the low side. Unless you find a good local shop that will hook you up.

Back