• Register Today It's free!

Preventative maintenance

robertoa1a

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char
When you buy a used explorer the odds are that the preventative maintenance was either neglected or was less than perfect. Most of the engine problems in this forum can be attributed to lack of P/M. The problems that we incur that are true parts failures are much easier to find if the other P/M is up to date.

If you bought your explorer with 90,000+ miles on the OD then there are a few things to check that will save you money over time (hopefully before a catastrophic failure). The nice thing about P/M is that it is work that you can enjoy being that it is planned. There is little reason not to get 300+k miles if everything is in order (or at least try). These engines are durable.

Lets go! I would like to mention a few things people overlook. Feel free to add to the list.

Spark plugs; The original motorcraft often last so long that people don't change them until they get rust welded in. Change the plugs with OEM plugs every 60k miles and check the color and deposits on them for signs of trouble. A grayish tan color with slight electrode wear is normal. Use anti sease lube on the threads of the plugs. $30-$45.

Plug wires don't last for ever due to heat and rot. For reliability purposes I would use OEM $50+.

The air filter is a no brainer.

Replace the PCV valve. Easy and less than $5.

Cleaning the MAF sensor and IAT before it develops corrosion is part of the deal and can save your engine and cats. This should cost about $5. so no excuses.

Flush the radiator and refill with the proper amount of water to coolant ratio. Save the water pumps impeller and other parts. Maybe$15.

Bleed the brakes until clear fluid comes out. The fluid is designed to absorb moisture and trash.

Clean the battery terminals with a cheep wire brush gadget $2. Have at least a cheep volt meter and learn basic electricity $8. You don't have to be a scientist. This will be a handy survival skill $0.

When changing oil, if there is any sludge, try a good synthetic oil for a while. Then do early changes until the sludge is gone $30.

Know that the tires are ballanced and have the same air pressure $0-$30.

Buy at least a cheep hand held grease gun and load it with a quality high heat lithium grease. Hit all the fittings on the front end with it to save the poor ball joints. Buy new fittings if necessary as they provably have never been greased $25.

The sway bar links were crap on theese. Check for loosenes. Aftermarket ones are better $0-$20

Learn how to repack the bearings and use the above grease gun. That grease rarely gets changed until catastrophic failure $0.

Run a can of Sea Foam through the vacuum system and put some in the tank to reduce carbon buildup in the cylinder chamber. There are literally hundreds of threads on this if you use this sights search tool $15-35.

The rear end/differential fluid provably needs changing. If you have limited slip/posi or by any other name then add friction reducer. Trucks with a factory towing pkg and 4x4s usually have this option. I have heard that using royal purple gear lube makes a noticeable difference in performance and fuel economy. ($25-$60).

Change (or have it changed) the trans fluid and maybe filter, $20 and up depending.

If you see chips in the pant put a little paint on it for now before it rust and gets real ugly. A body man can fix your errors later but not the rust $5.

Use this forums search tools and people to learn the above if you have problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sticky material. Good stuff.

Good thread Roberto

Each step needs a good link to ones on this sight to make it interesting and short, (too late for that lol).

Any moderator may feel free to insert anything they see fit in terms of links (please do), as there are way too many problems associated with the above.

P/M can be fun. A tow is a pita.

I know I will be doing some editing on my own later (maybe adding pix but no need for redundancy).

Others are strongly encouraged to add anything you see fit. If you have a good thread with pictures or video, feel welcome to post them or links. It's the holiday.

Hey, on my rear pumpkin I didn't see a drain plug. Do you have to pull the cover to drain the fluid?

Oky, doky Jerms. Yes, and I assume the reason being is that the engineers assume that there should be a basic visual inspection involved. My Chilton's calls for 5.5 pints. That's easy! About $60 royal purple dollars. $15 Pennzoil bucks + tube-o-friction reducer.

Clean inside the pumpkin looking for chips. Chip the cover and paint it to keep it from rusting through.

Get the black RTV and color inside the lines (draw a line inside the wholes on the cover with the RTV) smear the RTV while tacky bolt her up using a criss cross torque patern to avoid warpage.

There is a thread just on this, with video, if you us our search. LOL!

Yesterday I changed the oil and used synthetic for the first time in my life. I checked the fills on the front and back diff and both were full. I'm not sure if the fluid is reg or synthetic though.

I haven't done this one yet but heard from more than one of 2mpg gains and noticeable performance. Three quarts of royal purple Max gear coasted Me $50. Champagne taste on a beer diet. This truck WILL last a while.

The guy at the store is one of us, so he gave me his discount. That happens more often than you think. Its like being in a club!

Yesterday I changed the oil and used synthetic for the first time in my life. I checked the fills on the front and back diff and both were full. I'm not sure if the fluid is reg or synthetic though.
Their is a metal tag on a bolt that will say synthetic. If it is synthetic Ford says don't change it.

You can read opinions on this topic here on this forum.

Ford had a design spec. The one lube that I think is safe to recommend and meet and way supersede OEM is the Royal Purple.

My preference.

Once again, use the search a little more. Develope your own choice

Their is a metal tag on a bolt that will say synthetic. If it is synthetic Ford says don't change it.

I want to run synthetics in both diff. It gets cold as heck where I'm from.

If you are in North Florida I will change it for you if its that bad. As long as you mow the lawn for a week.

You know you are old school when you use a cassette adaptor to play an i pod through a stock head unit through Boston speakers.

Back