Program 3rd IAK | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lastcat

Reaction score
City, State
LONGVIEW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
2012 Limited Ford Explorer with push-start, 2 currently working programmed IAK (intelligent access key) and 1 new un-programmed IAK. Trying to access Program Mode via Owners Manual and not having any luck at all.

I have tried 3 different types of procedures, but nadda. :confused:

Owners Manual: (Perform this procedure exactly as described below, and perform all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence.)

1) Place the new un-programmed intelligent access key in the pocket inside of the center console.

2) Press the driver or passenger power door unlock control three times.

3)
Press and release the brake pedal one time.

4) Press the driver or passenger power door lock control three times.

5) Press and release the brake pedal one time. The indicator on the Start/Stop button should begin to rapidly flash, indicating that programming mode has been entered and two programmed intelligent access keys have been detected in the vehicle.

6) Within one minute, press the start/stop button. A message will be displayed on the message center indicating that the new intelligent access key was programmed. If four intelligent access keys have already been programmed to your vehicle, you cannot program anymore and the message MAX # OF KEYS LEARNED will be displayed on the message center.

7) Remove the intelligent access key from the center console pocket and press the control on the newly programmed intelligent access keys to exit programming mode.

8) Verify that the remote entry functions operate (press lock then unlock, making sure you end in unlock) and that the vehicle starts with new intelligent access key. If the intelligent access key has been successfully programmed, it can be used to activate the intelligent access with push button start feature and can be used to start your vehicle.

No luck on this sequence. I did find online where it was stated to press Both unlock/lock at the same time, verse's how it is stated in the OM as "or". Also a youtube vid stated to press unlock for the first sequence then press lock for the second sequence. No luck there either.

I found this procedure for a 2018 Ford Escape.

2018 Ford Escape Keyless Entry Remote Fob Smart Key Programming Instructions

1. Place the first programmed intelligent access key in the middle of the tray.

2. Press the push button ignition switch.

3. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.

4. Remove the intelligent access key.

5. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key in the middle of the tray.

6. Press the push button ignition switch.

7. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.

8. Remove the intelligent access key.

9. Within 10 seconds, place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the middle of the tray.

10. Press the push button ignition switch. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds.

11. Remove the newly programmed intelligent access key.

Programming is now complete. Check that the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key. If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10 seconds and repeat steps 1 through 11.

No luck with this one. :shoot:

Then I tried the Patrick S instructions, posted here (below).

Intelligent Access Key fob programming

No luck on this one. :angryfire:

I found another procedure about, pressing the Start/Button off and on 10 times. No luck.

When I got this Ex 3 months ago, it came with only 1 key. I purchased a new un-programmed IAK off of Amazon for $44. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KB784K...colid=SMLMEEKPO0JW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Took my Ex to the Dealer. At the time it had 4 Master Keys already programmed to this Ex. The Dealer was able to clear all Master Keys and program the old and new IAK from Amazon. Worked!! My Keys at the dash showed now, 2 Master Keys programmed. Perfect. The IAK from Amazon worked great, all 5 buttons worked.

So a few days ago I purchased a 3rd IAK. Yesterday I was trying all the procedures I could find, here, online and Youtube. No luck so far. I even moved the 2 IAK 50' away from the EX. Took one of those and removed the battery. Went to the Ex, entered my unlock code at the door keypad. Opened the door and then placed the IAK (without the battery) inserted into the center console slot. Held down the brake and pressed the Start Button, viola!! Ex started. I did this to make sure the Slot was functioning.

I could just go to the Dealer and get the 3rd IAK programmed, but really want to be able to use the procedure in the Owners Manual. Why pay the $70 when I can do it for free, if I ever figure it out.

Not sure what is going wrong. Maybe I have something blocking the Program Mode? At a loss, please help a brother. Cheers, Lastcat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried placing the key in the pocket in another position? I know that if you want to use the pocket to start the vehicle, the key must be inserted in a certain direction. It doesn't mention that for the programming step so I don't know if it makes a difference or not. When the programming attempt is unsuccessful, you should get a message on the screen to that effect. Are you getting that?

Peter

Have you tried placing the key in the pocket in another position? I know that if you want to use the pocket to start the vehicle, the key must be inserted in a certain direction. It doesn't mention that for the programming step so I don't know if it makes a difference or not. When the programming attempt is unsuccessful, you should get a message on the screen to that effect. Are you getting that?

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yep, I thought that one too. Did flip the IAK the other way, nothing. Just can't get it into "Program Mode". That's a new one, thanks. Never did see a message for Program Mode Failure. I wish, at least I could get some feedback with this Ex.

Where did you purchase the key? Maybe it's the problem.

Peter

Where did you purchase the key? Maybe it's the problem.

Peter

Amazon. It was actually the second key. The first one, went great. Starting to wonder about this second one. But since I have 2 programmed IAK's already, shouldn't the procedure be putting the Ex into program mode? Even if there is no IAK (or one not working) present in the slot?

I don't know for sure as I've never programmed an extra key. I just wonder why you are not getting the message(s) that are shown in the Manual for an unsuccessful attempt.

Peter

Back