Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited

I think that there was one, maybe 10+ years ago. Those were cool to get back then, we've kind of forgotten about them now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a set in my Mountaineer...I just found it has a voice recorder as well in the visor...the kids leave some real funny messages for me :laugh:

Ill keep my eyes out for some next visit

Is there a thread to show how to program them with your door opener?

You can only get them to work with older door openers. For newer openers you will need the comparability bridge.

I have a set in my Mountaineer...I just found it has a voice recorder as well in the visor...the kids leave some real funny messages for me :laugh:

Ill keep my eyes out for some next visit

Is there a thread to show how to program them with your door opener?

You can only get them to work with older door openers. For newer openers you will need the comparability bridge. If you have an older opener, the owner's manual shows you how to program the buttons. It's easy.

Headlight sensor installed...
49384549_10161474622015107_1662020080034119680_o.jpg

49035947_10161474622345107_1840415047071825920_o.jpg

I've ordered a wire cover for the stuff coming out of the top of the mirror to the headliner, $5 and free shipping. It's coming from China though...

I continue to be impressed by this old girl. I'm damn glad I rescued her! She handles the interstate at high speeds like a champ. I had to run up to work for a second today and jumped in the Explorer. I have a 575 rwhp Mustang GT in the garage that I absolutely love, but I really enjoy driving this 20 year old vehicle too!

Yeah, they grow on you. I really enjoy driving my '01 Eddie Bauer 5.0L.

I continue to be impressed by this old girl. I'm damn glad I rescued her! She handles the interstate at high speeds like a champ. I had to run up to work for a second today and jumped in the Explorer. I have a 575 rwhp Mustang GT in the garage that I absolutely love, but I really enjoy driving this 20 year old vehicle too!

You've taken care of most of the big things and the tedious little stuff.

Soon you might be ready to make some upgrades, like the anti-sway bar end links, or the bars themselves. You would be amazed by how much the handling(and safety) improves with a much bigger rear bar. The obsolete Explorer Express rear bar is huge compared to the stock one, 1 1/8" I think it is. They were asking over $200 with shipping from EE just before they stopped making them. I think they priced them too high for most buyers. If anyone wants one, try to find a used one, or ask Addco if they'll make one that size(they had one but it's smaller).

The rear is high and not well controlled at speed. A bigger rear bar and stiffer mounting bushings helps a lot, along with a stiffer fifth shock. I've only changed one fifth shock, in my Mercury, and it did help some, it's a Bilstein. I got a Monroe shock for my 99 truck to put on soon, that shock isn't a ride choice thing, it's a side to side control item.

My 99 Limited I only did the EE rear bar, the rest of the suspension is similar to stock. The bar helped a bunch.

EE rear sway bar.JPG

We've rebuilt the rear end, put new shocks on all four corners, new upper control arms/ball joints up front, and the end links up front. It actually handles really well. I think the next thing is going to be tires. The tires on this are old. They also make a lot of road noise.

The tires are big, you know how that affects ride/handling/safety. The stock 255/70/16 is a decent middle of the road size. Taller sizes or profiles have more body roll, but dropping down much puts you into more street tread choices.

I tried a 255/65/16 two years ago. I liked it other than the poor tire wear(work use ate them up). I'd try that size if you're after all around street use. That 65 series is 1" shorter than stock, 29" instead of 30". Stock Explorers came with 29" 15's, or 30" 16's, on the same 99-01 models. The speedometer is calibrated best for a 30" tire, but the 29" tire isn't far off, and Ford made tons of them.

I'm using a 245/70/16 now, for work use it's a good choice for my 99 truck. I like the 29" size range for my better SUV project, but 30" is about my upper limit(I have stock or lowered ride heights).

Yeah, I'd definitely like something more for street use. I also want to make sure I'm good with traction on a boat ramp.

That boat ramp is your big key, find a tire that will be best in rain, or like a sticky snow tire. Funny thought, your in the south, but "I need a snow tire for the slick ramps."

I wouldn't go over 255mm width, even the 245/70/16 I use would be a good choice. That's a 29.5" tire, and each slightly different size will have new choices of tire models.

Your Limited AWD V8 (did you say it's an AWD?) would likely have come with a limited slip rear diff. With age and miles the clutches wear down and you loose limited slip function. Do a burn out on some sand and see if both rear wheels are spinning. Replacing the clutches isn't too hard to do and there are clutches made of better materials than the OE's (like carbon fiber) and tricks you can do to make the clutches grab better (I'm sure the 8.8 Mustang guys know how).

I don't think you're going to have much of a traction problem with any decent tire as your AWD will pull you out of most situations.

Unfortunately, I'm RWD. When we rebuilt the rear-end, the clutches were in great shape. And I managed a small burnout already by accident while pulling out of my garage and I left twin (short) black marks.

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

If tires are in the near future, how about this one; Kumho Crugen HT51
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=57TR6HT51V2&tab=Sizes

I was searching today for a friend's Jeep Liberty tires, and checked on the 255/70/16's available too. I like that one for a decent price and ratings for wet traction etc. That sounds like a great tire for $125 each.

The Tire Rack has gone back to free shipping I see, it's been a pain to have to look up there shipping costs each time you check on a tire there.

I had just received a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires, been watching for them for a while. If I was hunting again now, I might go with that Kumho. I need a best wear tire as well as good in the rain.

^^^ I was looking at those. Supposed to be a competitor for Michelin LTX M/S2. Ratings on there are similar or better than the Michelins. I ran across a better price on some Firestone Destination A/T, so I am trying those.

"would likely have come with a limited slip rear diff"

All 5.0 trucks had 3.73 with limited slip ALL OF THEM

For traction on the wet boat ramps let some air out of your rear tires, the contact patch will grow as you let the air out and you will gain traction.

"would likely have come with a limited slip rear diff"

All 5.0 trucks had 3.73 with limited slip ALL OF THEM

For traction on the wet boat ramps let some air out of your rear tires, the contact patch will grow as you let the air out and you will gain traction.

All 4 of my 5.0L Explorers/Mountaineers AWD and 2WD came with 3:73 LSD rear diffs. Axle code D4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^ I was looking at those. Supposed to be a competitor for Michelin LTX M/S2. Ratings on there are similar or better than the Michelins. I ran across a better price on some Firestone Destination A/T, so I am trying those.

I browsed some more for those and other sizes, I found them elsewhere for about $115. The shipping and taxes mixed in make it tough to compare sources.

Back