Puddle Lights as Turn Signals...Possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle Lights as Turn Signals...Possible?

would it be possible to turn my puddle lights into turn signals? i have an aftermarket alarm/remote start so they dont even come on unless i open my doors anyway. would it be as easy as just splicing a wire from the turn signal to the puddle light? has anyone else done this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I imagine you could splice into the hot side of the turn signal wiring, and if you leave the 12v source from the original source, still use them as puddle lamps. I'd like to see it, so give it a shot!

This is interesting. If you decide to try it please take good pics and notes.

i agree with the previous responses... i think as long as u splice the positive side of the turn signal wire to the positive on the puddle lamp and make sure it has a constant ground that it should work... one thing to make sure of though, is that ur splicing it to the right filament... most turn bulbs r dual filament and if u splice the wrong one it could be on constantly... good luck

I would think this through and do your research. Just splicing into the positive lead with another 12v source from a turn signal will not just send power to the bulb, it will back feed into the original power source and light up everything else that is on that circuit. You may end up making all of your interior lights flash. Also vice versa if the puddle lights go on then power will be sent to the turn signals. It is possible but you will need to come up with a rather complicated circuit with relays and diodes.

EDIT: Or I just realized the simplest way would be to change the puddle light to a dual filament bulb. one for the puddle and one for the turn signal. Forget the relays and diodes.

if you wait a week or so..i'll have a how to make LED turning signals for the mirrors:cool:
always ahead of the game..lol:confused:

if you wait a week or so..i'll have a how to make LED turning signals for the mirrors:cool:

Wow, you and I really do think alike.

Just what I was thinking of doing,
last year...but, "I'm LAZY"

Dave

i wont be doing this for a little while. it is supposed to be around 5 degrees here in chicago for the next few days and i dont have a garage to work in. i do want to see your led turn signals in the mirrors. i have been looking for some but havent found any that i like.

Just what I was thinking of doing,
last year...but, "I'm LAZY"

Dave
hahaha..

i wont be doing this for a little while. it is supposed to be around 5 degrees here in chicago for the next few days and i dont have a garage to work in. i do want to see your led turn signals in the mirrors. i have been looking for some but havent found any that i like.
Wow 5 degrees!:eek: its been in the 20s here and i'm dieing for the summer to come back (mind you we haven't gotten snow yet, which is really really weird)
But yea..i'll try starting the plans and all today, and hopefully get this going monday:thumbsup:

Looking forward to it.

Yea, gonna be around 5 here for the weekend. Can't wait!

How are you planning on doing the LED Directional ?

Back