How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
is the 4wheeler article online?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you!

I collect this stuff on my pc you know

I pretty Much always shorten the shifter stick I have also bent them w heat, trucks without body lifts that is.
People see the pics and they think the lever is going to be in the way…. It’s not

your Leg goes right around it I never had an issues with the short stick in my old 96 (3” body
Lift)

So I have a question. I just got done swapping in a bw4406 but it has an electronic clutch to engage it into 4x4 high and a manual 4x4 low engagement. My clutch seems to be bad so one how hard is it to change and also what voltage should it have?

Are you taking about the brown wire?

Are you taking about the brown wire?
My transfer case only has 3 positions. 4x4high but it doesn't engage the the 4x4 and I just assumed it has an electronic clutch. It had neutral and 4x4 low which works.

There are three 4406 t cases

Manual shift
Electronic shift
And
Torque on demand electronic shift

If you have the tod version this could get interesting as it would require a controller to handle the auto4wd switching between 2wd and 4wd automatically. As far as I know nobody has attempted to build this controller in many many years and it has never been done with a 4406tod in a 5.0 ex

Manual shift
Electronic shift
And

If you have the tod version this could get interesting as it would require a controller to handle the auto4wd switching between 2wd and 4wd automatically. As far as I know nobody has attempted to build this controller in many many years and it has never been done with a 4406tod in a 5.0 ex
I guess I got the tq on demand one then. My question is why doesn't a simple 12 volt power feed with a switch on it to the electric clutch work or is the voltage higher. I have a another Explorer I scraped but I had done the brown wire mod to it so I could disengage the clutch when I wanted. I'm thinking I'm going to hitch the battery up and then see what voltage it runs to its clutch as it would probably be the same. I don't want the tod to work like factory but where I can engage and disengage just like my old Explorer. Thanks for giving me information.

Manual shift
Electronic shift
And

O well at least I have 4x4 low. I've been reading and it seems to be a simple electric clutch in there run by a more complicated module. Maybe I'll go to the scrap yard and hitch up 12 volt power to another bw4406 torque on demand and see it my clutch is bad or if I need more or less voltage to operate the clutch. If anyone knows please let me know.

Manual shift
Electronic shift
And

if the 4406/4405 share shift motors, could the v6 gem be used? the v6 one has 4a/H/L. theres probably a lot more im missing here! let me go do some reading! :D

if the 4406/4405 share shift motors, could the v6 gem be used? the v6 one has 4a/H/L. theres probably a lot more im missing here! let me go do some reading! :D
Yeah I don't know. I had done the brown wire mod on my old explorer but all that did was put a switch in the wire. I never thought to check the voltage. I don't know why I would need the gem if the clutch is a simple 12 volt electric clutch which from all the information I have read it is but im not sure it is a simple 12 volts as I did that but it doesn't engage the clutch or my clutch might just be bad.

Yeah I don't know. I had done the brown wire mod on my old explorer but all that did was put a switch in the wire. I never thought to check the voltage. I don't know why I would need the gem if the clutch is a simple 12 volt electric clutch which from all the information I have read it is but im not sure it is a simple 12 volts as I did that but it doesn't engage the clutch or my clutch might just be bad.

well.. i did find this!!!!!

I'll look though it. Don't have the time right now to read 16 pages😂

What was in your truck before, and now, for the actual GEM etc, and was it 4WD before?

The TOD version of the BW 4406 is made very similar to the BW 4405 V6 TC. You can use the exact same system to run the BW 4406 TOD. It needs the 4WD GEM, plus the separate 4WD module, and the TOD module. Those all three are in the V6 4.0 Explorers, but not in any 2WD or AWD trucks. Those all will plug right in, the wiring connectors are in the dash. The 4WD module is deep in the dash to the right of the column, kind of low there. The TOD is just to the right of the radio, pull the radio and bezel out, and it's not hard to get to then.

If your truck wasn't 4WD, then you will also have to add the extra power wire from the engine/trans harness, into the dash harness. I haven't done that wiring step myself, but I gather from Jamie it isn't hard at all.

I still think that the TOD internal clutch is like an AC clutch, a magnetic coil driven device. I'd like to see it, I'm sure it is a wear item. Your TC may be in need of some rebuilding.

OK while that answered some of my questions no one ever answered if you could just hitch up the correct voltage to the clutch and get it to engage. From everything I've seen it's supposed to be a simple electronic clutch but mine doesn't engage when I put 12 volt power to it but the it does get slightly harder to turn by hand which seems to suggest that either its burnt out or needs more voltage. I'm not sure which.

What was in your truck before, and now, for the actual GEM etc, and was it 4WD before?

The TOD version of the BW 4406 is made very similar to the BW 4405 V6 TC. You can use the exact same system to run the BW 4406 TOD. It needs the 4WD GEM, plus the separate 4WD module, and the TOD module. Those all three are in the V6 4.0 Explorers, but not in any 2WD or AWD trucks. Those all will plug right in, the wiring connectors are in the dash. The 4WD module is deep in the dash to the right of the column, kind of low there. The TOD is just to the right of the radio, pull the radio and bezel out, and it's not hard to get to then.

If your truck wasn't 4WD, then you will also have to add the extra power wire from the engine/trans harness, into the dash harness. I haven't done that wiring step myself, but I gather from Jamie it isn't hard at all.

I still think that the TOD internal clutch is like an AC clutch, a magnetic coil driven device. I'd like to see it, I'm sure it is a wear item. Your TC may be in need of some rebuilding.
No my truck was the awd version but I have all the parts you mentioned from my old explorer which was a 2000 with the 4405 with the tod case. Like I said why would I have to change all that out if the clutch is a simple clutch and I could just run power to it or does it take a special voltage and that's why you need to change the gem and the other parts you mentioned?

Those parts combine to operate it with the OEM switch, features etc. I don't know anything about the TC clutch circuit, that's not a common subject. Usually people ask how to make it work with the OEM dash switch, either the earlier 1st gen dash switch, or the two 2nd gen switches(one has 2WD, and the one you have is A4WD).

Unless you can find a quick and simple answer to what you asked, I'd install the modules and switch from the other truck, and make use of the OEM system, plus add a switch for the brown wire if you need it.

BTW, the shift motors are the same also between the BW4405 and 4406, it's a common part. Mixing parts from different vehicles adds possibilities of parts problems, be patient in doing any swap like that.

Those parts combine to operate it with the OEM switch, features etc. I don't know anything about the TC clutch circuit, that's not a common subject. Usually people ask how to make it work with the OEM dash switch, either the earlier 1st gen dash switch, or the two 2nd gen switches(one has 2WD, and the one you have is A4WD).

Unless you can find a quick and simple answer to what you asked, I'd install the modules and switch from the other truck, and make use of the OEM system, plus add a switch for the brown wire if you need it.

BTW, the shift motors are the same also between the BW4405 and 4406, it's a common part. Mixing parts from different vehicles adds possibilities of parts problems, be patient in doing any swap like that.
My Transfer case is a Manuel shift but 4x4 high is engaged by the clutch and 4x4 low is engaged by the Manuel shifter. I don't understand how putting all that stuff in will do anything. All I need is for my clutch to engage so I can have 4x4 high. I have 4x4 low right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Manual shift does not have a clutch nor does it need the brown wire hooked up to give you 2wd, 4hi and 4 low

It sounds like you have a linkage issue or a defective transfer case

The torque on demand 4406 is an electronic shift t case but has two extra speed sensors, so it is easy to spot

For those people wanting to use the bw 4406e electronic shift version without messing with gem modules we simply use a 2002 ranger 4wd control module. These are also found in other 02+ fords
It’s called the Motorola box and it can be wired to the stock explorer 4wd dash switch and v6 t case shift motor

Back