How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I have made these in the past
The switch in the t case basically has two male prongs
I have plenty of female pins that fit right over the prongs
Then you can wrap it in silicon and let it setup
Blamo pigtail

Otherwise you can buy the connector online

Standard motor products s743 is the pigtail

Standard Motor Products S743 Pigtail/Socket https://a.co/d/fMPFggQ
where can you get the female pins and what size are they?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a question about the rear drive shaft, I got this one from the wrecking yard and this is what the google search gave me

1997-1998 ford expedition 5.4l 4×4 h.d. rear 2 joint “ ...

Placeholder. 1997-1998 FORD EXPEDITION 5.4L 4×4 REAR CV STYLE DRIVESHAFT ASSEMBLY F75A-4602-PB

1695579077504.png
1695579483287.png
1695579747466.png
1695580359957.png
1695579442117.png

Will this shaft work, the yoke fits ion the transfer case. I have not seen any pics of the rear shafts that will work except on one youtube video and it is different than this one.

Thanks for your help.

It should work. 97 up to 2000(?) 4x4 5.4 should work.

It should work. 97 up to 2000(?) 4x4 5.4 should work.
Yes I was thinking the same thing but what throws me off on it is the double yoke and double u-joint at the transfer case side, have not heard of or seen one like this before during my researching.

1695605200771.png

Even in this video it shows a regular 2 u-joint drive shaft not a 3 u-joint shaft.

I have I have a double cardin driveshaft. It's not installed at the moment as it needs new u-joints. But it came from an Expedition, and I plan to install it as soon as I get the U-joints put in.

I have I have a double cardin driveshaft. It's not installed at the moment as it needs new u-joints. But it came from an Expedition, and I plan to install it as soon as I get the U-joints put in.
Ok, thanks for the info. I will replace the u-joints tomorrow and get ready to start the dismantling process and putting my 4406 in. The next problem I will be working on is figuring out about my speedometer setup on my 98 xlt 5.0 awd since I couldn't find any wiring going to the awd case. Any suggestions?

Might check and see if you've got a sensor in your rear differential. I don't know what year they started but I think it might have been 98 they started putting the speedo sensor in the diff.

Might check and see if you've got a sensor in your rear differential. I don't know what year they started but I think it might have been 98 they started putting the speedo sensor in the diff.

Ok I will check when I put it up on jack stands, thanks for everything. Had to get different rear drive shaft, went to take out the u-joints on the double cardin and didn't realize it had a cv style joint inbetween and now the drive shaft shop wants $300.00 just to look at it.

Hmmm..... installing that double cardan just dropped further down on my to do list!

Hmmm..... installing that double cardan just dropped further down on my to do list!
Hey Traveler it actually isn't that hard to rebuild them, I just watched some youtube videos on it and I will end up rebuilding mine down the road, but for now it is just easier to replace 2 u-joints and be ready to install. Have been procrastinating doing the swap for 2 years, but since I have all the parts it's time to do it😎

The double Cardan is a better joint, but the center section is a wear item that if loose needs to be replaced. So if the CD joint feels good, it's a normal u-joint servicing job, and it's ready to go.

The rear ABS sensor is in the 98 Explorers, so the BW4406's will work and not affect the speedometer.

The cardan joint has two u joints and a centering ball and seal
Parts are available online and videos of how to do the centering ball online

I use spicer parts only!!

I have another question

1696201760154.png

Wire direct to instrument cluster
The wires can be found at the gem

One pin is ground for 4hi other is ground for 4low

I think it's the switch for shift position indication light in dash, you can wire it thru gem .
I thought so but can't find the other half of the plug since I don't know the female pin size or the name or where to get it.

Wire direct to instrument cluster
The wires can be found at the gem

One pin is ground for 4hi other is ground for 4low
Yes, I have seen the write up on this, but can't find the other half of the plug since I don't know the female pin size or the name or where to get it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back one page in this thread we just discussed the wiring pigtail for this switch

standard motor products s743 is the wiring pigtail for the 4wd switch

The 4wd switch can be found on rockauto try a 2000 f150 w 4.6 and manual t case

Back