How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Back one page in this thread we just discussed the wiring pigtail for this switch

standard motor products s743 is the wiring pigtail for the 4wd switch

The 4wd switch can be found on rockauto try a 2000 f150 w 4.6 and manual t case
Ok thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have made these in the past
The switch in the t case basically has two male prongs
I have plenty of female pins that fit right over the prongs
Then you can wrap it in silicon and let it setup
Blamo pigtail

Otherwise you can buy the connector online

Standard motor products s743 is the pigtail

Standard Motor Products S743 Pigtail/Socket https://a.co

The standard motor products s743 is not the pigtail for the 2000 f-150 bw 4406 transfer case, it doesn't even fit the plug.

1696463678077.png
1696463937245.png

the plug needed is more of a D shape than an oval

Shoot! Maybe it only fits the older cases? I know it does not have th d shape but it fits my 4x4 switch

Time to do some more digging! Anyone have the d shaped pigtail part number?

Shoot! Maybe it only fits the older cases? I know it does not have th d shape but it fits my 4x4 switch

Time to do some more digging! Anyone have the d shaped pigtail part number?
The switch number is e6tz-7e440-a, the O'Reilly parts guy gave me 2 numbers for the pigtail, WPT 1081 and S1883. The Ford Parts guy gave me another number 14S411, all these are expensive so I ordered a pin kit for $11.00 and will try to make something.

The pigtail I have pictured is for the 5 speed reverse lights my bad!! I will go back abs edit my posts
The correct pigtail had d shape as listed above

I still just use female pins and silicon make my own plug when I cannot source the factory bits

Thanks for correcting me!!

The pigtail I have pictured is for the 5 speed reverse lights my bad!! I will go back abs edit my posts
The correct pigtail had d shape as listed above

I still just use female pins and silicon make my own plug when I cannot source the factory bits

Thanks for correcting me!!
I am not sure any of them are correct, the ford one doesn't look like it will work, the other two look better, Hey we have to work at these things together to get it right.
I am trying to find out what the single wire on the tail shaft near the speed sensor is for, any ideas?

I have a question about the bw 4406 manual shift and electronic shift. Besides the obvious is there any differences with the insides and front case? I ask because I might have a chance at getting a elec. shift 4406 for free and if the insides are the same could use as a parts transfer case.
Thanks in advance for reply's and help.

They should be the same except for the parts related to the TOD feature, which is at least the housings and the output shaft section where the clutch is. The main input shaft guts might swap between them. But for the manual TC, you will need almost an entire manual TC.

They both work just fine, as long as you do not get a control trac / TOD 4406 you can use either e shift or manual shift it is a simple preference.

4406e shift very common

Manual shift harder to get, especially with the shifter and linkage

The ranger 98-11 uses the same shift motor as the 4406e so the electronic shifting portion of the swap is rather simple

Sometimes the factory gem module will still shift the new 4406 and sometimes we have to install the motorolla stand alone 4x4 control module found in 02+ fords to control the e shift t case, it just depends on what vehicle is being converted

The tod/ control trac 4406 can be used, we have been discussing how to make a control trac or torque on demand stand alone controller and wire it into the vehicle. Basically an awd v8 option!

I have two of the TOD models now, one decent mileage and a spare I got before deciding to give the AWD a chance.

They should be the same except for the parts related to the TOD feature, which is at least the housings and the output shaft section where the clutch is. The main input shaft guts might swap between them. But for the manual TC, you will need almost an entire manual TC.
Thank you, I do already have a manual shift tc but not sure the condition of the inside, bought from private party.

They both work just fine, as long as you do not get a control trac / TOD 4406 you can use either e shift or manual shift it is a simple preference.

4406e shift very common

Manual shift harder to get, especially with the shifter and linkage

The ranger 98-11 uses the same shift motor as the 4406e so the electronic shifting portion of the swap is rather simple

Sometimes the factory gem module will still shift the new 4406 and sometimes we have to install the motorolla stand alone 4x4 control module found in 02+ fords to control the e shift t case, it just depends on what vehicle is being converted

The tod/ control trac 4406 can be used, we have been discussing how to make a control trac or torque on demand stand alone controller and wire it into the vehicle. Basically an awd v8 option!

This is what I am looking at getting

1698680628867.png

I have another question, what are the best shocks to run that are reasonably priced and that will help lift the ex that are good for both on and off-road driving? Bilstein, Rancho, KYB? Thanks ahead of time for the answers.

The pictured t case above is electric shift. Is that what you are after?

Shocks will not provide any lift.
That t-case is electric shift and if I would have acted quicker I could of had it for free, but I have a manual shift case I am getting ready to put in. Just got done putting new u-joints in both drive shafts.
Yes, I know the shocks won't provide lift, but they will aid in suspension travel.

I still need the question answered, what are the best shocks to run that are reasonably priced and that will help the ride and control of the ex that are good for both on and off-road driving? Bilstein, Rancho, KYB? Thanks ahead of time for the answers.

Well, the variable in there is "reasonably priced". Ranchos are ok, and they are affordable in that they cost less than the Bilsteins. I've heard many good things about the bilsteins however (great price is never one of them). I ran KYBs in my Tbird and loved them, and they are affordable as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, I've run Ranchos for years. My only complaint with them is they don't seem to last as long as I'd like.

I still need the question answered, what are the best shocks to run that are reasonably priced and that will help the ride and control of the ex that are good for both on and off-road driving? Bilstein, Rancho, KYB? Thanks ahead of time for the answers.
You should ask in another thread discussing shock absorbers and lifts please. This thread for transfer case swap discussion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the variable in there is "reasonably priced". Ranchos are ok, and they are affordable in that they cost less than the Bilsteins. I've heard many good things about the bilsteins however (great price is never one of them). I ran KYBs in my Tbird and loved them, and they are affordable as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, I've run Ranchos for years. My only complaint with them is they don't seem to last as long as I'd like.
Thank you

Back