Radio LED display fix!!! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio LED display fix!!!

Just got a 2000 Eddie Bauer. Radio was working now the display is out. I'll give this a shot and see if it works. Typical Ford response also. It sort of reminds me of the dash on my 97 and 99 Taurus peeling off. Damn near everyone one I've seen does it. Can you say class action lawsuit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a 2000 F150. Guess what? Yup, not radio display and it sucks. I'm going to attack it tomorrow!

Thanks gang,

Ed

Anyone know if HWM0043 is indeed the right part number for the premium audio display? I plan on adding a heatsink to the shield. this should help.

bump

Dont buy the display. You are looking for the display power supply. The new one is better isolated. wont need the heat plus there will be now where to put it.

There are several issues that can cause the display to be out on the radio. The causes and the repairs are all detailed at www.shareamemory.com/radio with lots of detailed pictures and explanations. It will save you from having to send your radio in for repairs.

Openned my mach radio like all the people on message board said. After second time I openned it and gave it a good cleaning, it works good and it is be four days and going good. the display flickered acouple of times then strong.

Display Works - Lucky Guess

I appreciate all the info on repairing the “blank displayâ€￾ on Ford Explorer sound system.

I too had a blank display so made the tools to remove the radio and proceeded to remove the display power supply board. I looked for an obvious problem such as a burnt component or circuit board – there was none.

I tried soldering the resistors suggested in other post but still had a blank display. I continued to try to re-solder all the component on the ckt board with no luck. After taking the radio out a number of time, I noticed one of the small flat resistors ( I believe it was R1050 or R1059) not connect to the ckt board where it connects to the IC that is in about the middle of the board. This was caused by my re-soldering.

In the process of removing the resistor to clean the area before re-soldering it, I dropped the resistor on my work bench and could not find it (it is very small). I do not have the schematics so do not know what the value is. I took apart an old TV remote control and found a resistor (5K ohms) and soldered it in the ckt in place of the one I lost. Install the radio and had a display but it was not bright. Removed the radio for about the fifth time and replaced the 5K resistor with a 1K. I now have a nice bright display. No great skill on my part – but did give thanks that it now works.

The part # I ordered from Pioneer was HWM5469. It's been about a year and no problems!

Good Luck!

TheGripper said:
I appreciate all the info on repairing the “blank displayâ€￾ on Ford Explorer sound system.

I too had a blank display so made the tools to remove the radio and proceeded to remove the display power supply board. I looked for an obvious problem such as a burnt component or circuit board – there was none.

I tried soldering the resistors suggested in other post but still had a blank display. I continued to try to re-solder all the component on the ckt board with no luck. After taking the radio out a number of time, I noticed one of the small flat resistors ( I believe it was R1050 or R1059) not connect to the ckt board where it connects to the IC that is in about the middle of the board. This was caused by my re-soldering.

In the process of removing the resistor to clean the area before re-soldering it, I dropped the resistor on my work bench and could not find it (it is very small). I do not have the schematics so do not know what the value is. I took apart an old TV remote control and found a resistor (5K ohms) and soldered it in the ckt in place of the one I lost. Install the radio and had a display but it was not bright. Removed the radio for about the fifth time and replaced the 5K resistor with a 1K. I now have a nice bright display. No great skill on my part – but did give thanks that it now works.
Hello Gripper, appreciate your posted information.
I have a 98 explorer and a 2000 Merc Villager. Both have similar radios, and their LED display are both out. I am mad as hell. Will try to fix them myself after reading your info. Can you give me a bit more detail which board to look for? I do have electronics background, and can understand circuits.
I also read elsewher people mention about a heat shield... any insight?

DVVSKOO

Dispaly Fixed Finally

After not having a display for over a year, I tried and failed to repair it. I finally took the plunge and removed the radio and sent it off to them for repair.

Video Service Stop
288 Washington Street
Weymouth, MA 02188

781-337-6800
800-838-3394

grw66@juno.com
http://www.videoservicestop.com

I received a phone call from Gary within two days of shipment that the radio was repaired and ready for return. Price, including shipment, parts was in the area of $114.00. The radio was back home four days after it was sent. I must say that I'm about one hundred miles from their location so shipment time might be longer in other parts of the country.

I have never been so happy to deal with a company and have recommended them to a friend who runs service at a large Ford dealer in NJ.

:eek:
:usa: :exp:

How does one patch a circuit board that he scratched?

Well, my display comes on, but while fixing it, I inadvertantly scratched the circuit board that is on the faceplate. Now my seek and number 3 buttons no longer work.

Does anyone know if this is fixable?

Thanks

Hackerson said:
Well, my display comes on, but while fixing it, I inadvertantly scratched the circuit board that is on the faceplate. Now my seek and number 3 buttons no longer work.

Does anyone know if this is fixable?

Thanks

Most likely, if you can put a dot of solder on the place you scratched.

Based on a post by another person with a similar problem I contacted Pioneer who actually manufactured the radio that is in the Explorer's with the display problem. The parts number is (800)421-1404. Just follow the prompts until you get to the parts dept. The component you are looking for is called a Compound Unit. My radio's Ford Part number is YLZF-18C868-CA, in smaller print below you will see the Pioneer number, which is what you need. Mine is FH-2076ZF. At first they weren't sure what I needed, so I listed the part number that another poster had used and they where able to figure out what I needed. If asked, you should be able to tell them Compound unit for your model of radio and be good to go. The part number for mine is HWM0043. Evidently this is the 3rd substitute part for that radio which leads me to beleive its been improved upon a few times. Price of the part was about $88, worked out to $101.30 with two day shipping. I should have the parts on Friday and I will post my results then. If I have time I'll post some pictures of what I did and what the new vs old parts look like. Keeping in mind I've already resoldered them a few times.

Worked for mine. 70k miles. Re-sodered it just to make sure it would be ok for a little while longer. One of the soder points was cracked on mine. :thumbsup:

I cracked open the radio from my 99 XLT...obviously I have the same problem that half of the Explorer owners do...to start this repair.

Once I removed the heat shield, I found some cream colored goop on the board. Is this normal? It looked nasty!!! Is this what I need to clean?

I've attached photos...the last picture probably shows it the best.

248851138ITuQjt_ph.jpg

248851222hUsuOi_ph.jpg

248851294ZHLUSa_ph.jpg

Looks like my pix didn't show. Must be where I hosted them. Trying again...

Also, even though I didn't do any cleaning or soldering...the stinkin' display came on after I reinstalled the radio. WEIRD!!!

8720Top_view_of_radio-med.jpg

8720Top_view_of_circuit.jpg

8720Front_view_of_circuit.jpg

Wouldn't you know it...the display is gone again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YOur best bet is to buy the Compound Kit from Pioneer for your radio and replace the part. That "goo" is actually a silcone sealant.

Back