ranger or explorer brake calipers?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ranger or explorer brake calipers??

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
I'm in the process of installing a 4" trailmaster lift with a regear by changing axles. My question is, I have a spare ranger d35 complete axle from a 95 ranger, and the calipers mount differently, with 2 bolts instead of slide rails, also the calipers are 2 piston type, like the 95+ explorers. So I'd like to know if I'm better off switching the pumpkin and keep my old calipers or go and change out the complete axle and have the ranger's newer calipers (and get rid of the old slide pin ones.) Thanks a lot for the info!!

Have a nice day

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anymore opinions?? thanks alot!!! I do appreciate all the helpfull advice, and hopefully I can dispense more advice of my own!!!!

I too prefer the bolts. I think that they slide easier. And are easier to remove.

I had issues with the pins for a while, they kept backing out like half way!!! I got new ones and they stay in ok but its still kinda scary if they can back them selfs out

the slide pins work fine, if they are loose replace them
Cleaning the caliper and knuckle before installing them each time is key, as is lubing them.

However who cares? two piston calipers are supoerior to one, so run those!
I had no idea the D35 TTB in the later model Ranger had bolts and two piston calipers?
What is it 95-97?

Your master cylinder may / may not be able to perform with the increased fluid capacity of th etwin pistons.

Are the rotos/knuckles/spindles the same?

I would swap it today!

I'm gonna post some pics of the stuff tonight or tomorrow, but the do seem to be of better quality. and BTW its a D35 off a 95 ranger

yes okay and the 95 Ranger still had the TTB until 97 cant wait to see pics

I actually like the slide pins, If you put them together right you should have nno problems. Very easy to service, with no tools.

I like the slide pins too. They come out very easy. I get them out with a pair of needle nose pliers, a small socket and a hammer. You just have to make sure they are greased properly when installing.

BTW 410Fortune, just how difficult is to build cut and turned TTB arms like yours, I've got an extra set of everything now some I'm considering it. Thanks for the info

Back