Rattling from the Moonroof

MITCHMFO

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello,

New user here, cool forum! I wanted to ask a quick question, I've had my new 2020 Explorer ST for about a month now and there is a rattling coming from the bar in between the dual-pane moonroof. It seems like it's from the plastic that divides the two sections. I'm not the most "handy" when it comes to vehicles but thought I would ask if anyone has any recommendations before I ask the dealer.

Thanks so much!
-Mitch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Mitch.:wave:
You are the first to mention this issue with the moonroof. Please report back with the results if the dealer is able to fix it. Thanks.

Peter

Hi there, new owner of a 2022 Ford Explorer ST and am having the same issue with the raddling in the moonroof and at that exact spot. Did you find a fix to this issue? I have only had the vehicle for about a week so far.

:oops:

Hope this isn't a common issue. It was exactly what led me to getting rid of my 2016 F150.
The sunroof had a consistent rattle that the dealer couldn't resolve in 4 visits.
First it was just a rattle. They 'fixed it' then it would pop horribly when opening/closing like it was binding up.
2nd visit fixed the pop, but the rattle persisted.
3rd visit, or maybe it was the 4th, the rattle was resolved, but it just changed to a squeak.

I've got a 20 Explorer Limited outside on an extended test drive & it has the pano roof.
No sunroof noise & it's got 25k on it.

Hi there, new owner of a 2022 Ford Explorer ST and am having the same issue with the raddling in the moonroof and at that exact spot. Did you find a fix to this issue? I have only had the vehicle for about a week so far.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on July 14, 2020. It's doubtful you will get a response. However, others may have an idea.
I'm guessing that your vehicle is still under warranty and if so, I recommend taking it back to the dealer to have the issue checked out.
Please report back on any fix. Thanks.

Peter

I am a new owner of a 22 ST-Line, I am at 3600 miles and have no rattles in the vehicle at this time. The headliner cover however is not lined up when closed, there is a gap from right to left letting light through. One of many items on my list for the dealer to address. Let us know what is found with the rattle.

My mom has this issue in her 2021 Limited. I usually just punch it and then settle for holding it up while wishing I had driven my 13 Limited instead. Dealership says there is no fix for this

I had a couple little creaks this morning, temps in the high 30s
2-3 turns through the neighborhood & they'd stopped.

My mom has this issue in her 2021 Limited. I usually just punch it and then settle for holding it up while wishing I had driven my 13 Limited instead. Dealership says there is no fix for this
I think the dealer is just being a bit lazy. Most rattles have a solution.

Peter

I had the exact problem and I found it on my 21 explorer. The problem is the upper upholstery is attached to the vehicle with a couple of magnets. My magnet was a bit loose and created a tapping sound when going over imperfections in the road.

Easy fix: pull the upholstery away from the car, place a small piece of foam between the upholstery and magnet.

Hope that works

What do you mean by upholstery? Headliner? Moonroof shade?

What do you mean by upholstery? Headliner? Moonroof shade?
I'm sure that the reference is to the headliner as that is the only feature I'm aware of that is held on with magnets.

Peter

I ask because my wife took the Explorer to work on Wednesday last week & said there was a lot of rattle from the roof. Would be good to know where/what to look at.
I haven't noticed anything excessive, and usually cycling the moonroof stops it.
Nothing close to the incessant rattles & squeaks I had in my 2016 F150.

Back