Rattling/Grinding Noise On Startup and During Acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling/Grinding Noise On Startup and During Acceleration

Blake Witt

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Good Evening Everyone,

So I own a 1994 Explorer XLT, and I just drove it from Seattle to Tempe, and it ran fine the entire time however it started making an interesting noise around the halfway point of the journey. The sound can be described as a rattling or a grinding, and it only happens for about 2 seconds when I start it and is consistent when I accelerate. I pulled over and stopped at a service station and the mechanic that I asked told me that he thinks it's coming from the exhaust, and on the long drive something may have come loose which could've caused the rattle. My question for you guys is how do I fix that? My previous research has led me to believe that the heat shield around the exhaust could have come loose, and I'm not sure if that is or isn't the case as of now, but I'm not sure how I would go about fixing that anyway.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. Heatshields are likely. I think the best way is to have someone in the vehicle rev the engine up and down while you stick your head under and pinpoint where it's coming from. Could be a few different things.

Welcome to the forum. Heatshields are likely. I think the best way is to have someone in the vehicle rev the engine up and down while you stick your head under and pinpoint where it's coming from. Could be a few different things.

Yeah that's my next course of action. He seemed pretty confident that it was the exhaust so I'm gonna give it a shot when it's light out. Thanks for the reply. Will update this thread with results.

Use a couple of long hose clamps to stop the shield from making noise.

Both my Gen1's have had a rattling heat shield. As suggested above I used hose clamps to make it stop.

Heatshields are likely.
X3
But you have to try to isolate where it's coming from...these types of noises on an X could be anything.

I also agree with the heat shield presumption. I've had to use hose clamps on the heat shield for the muffler and the cat. If you reach underneath (while the exhaust is cold!) and "tap" the shields with your hand, you should be able to pinpoint the issue. Good luck with it!

Back