It's HER truck
Reaction score
City, State
Arvoinia, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
Callsign
KA3NXN
I have a 2002 Explorer with a 4.6L engine and disk brakes all the way around. The other day I came home and the rear driver's side brake was smoking really bad. I found a lot of dirt and mud and gravel caked in the wheel rim and I washed it all off and could not see what the issue was. I sprayed the whole area with brake cleaner. I also had my wife push on the brakes and I watched the caliper engage and disengage without any issues. The following day the same thing happened only it was the passenger's side rear brake that was doing this. The driver's side was fine. Again, the wheel was caked up with dirt and debris. I cleaned it like I had done the other side the day before.

I don't use the emergency brakes, and have no idea what kind of shape they're in.

I don't see any issues with either side of the rear brakes. The lines are fine, no fluid leaks, or collapsed lines that I can see. Any Ideas what other than dirt could be causing this? It was just so odd that one side did it one day and the following day it was the other.

Thanks for the help.

Jaime

I have a 2002 Explorer with a 4.6L engine and disk brakes all the way around. The other day I came home and the rear driver's side brake was smoking really bad. I found a lot of dirt and mud and gravel caked in the wheel rim and I washed it all off and could not see what the issue was. I sprayed the whole area with brake cleaner. I also had my wife push on the brakes and I watched the caliper engage and disengage without any issues. The following day the same thing happened only it was the passenger's side rear brake that was doing this. The driver's side was fine. Again, the wheel was caked up with dirt and debris. I cleaned it like I had done the other side the day before.

I don't use the emergency brakes, and have no idea what kind of shape they're in.

I don't see any issues with either side of the rear brakes. The lines are fine, no fluid leaks, or collapsed lines that I can see. Any Ideas what other than dirt could be causing this? It was just so odd that one side did it one day and the following day it was the other.

Thanks for the help.

Jaime
@KA3NXN
Caliper guide pins or dovetails binding, piston seal unable to release pressure on pads enough? The deflection of the piston seal, though very slight, is all that is available to force the pads just slightly off the rotor.

Other possibility would be the master cylinder rear wheel piston failing to release pressure (less likely, IMO). imp

Back