• Register Today It's free!

Rear hatch problem...

StevenGene

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
So for almost a year now my rear hatch on my 2001 Explorer has not worked. I can unlock the window and all that. It's like the handle to open the door moves freely as if its not attached to anything. I have taken off then plastic panel around the interior of the door. But I can't figure out what has came loose or anyway of manually opening the door. Has anyone else here had the same problem? If so, any solutions?

what usually happens is that the rod that connects the outer handle to the latch comes loose, this happens because the yellow clip that attaches the rod breaks or comes out of its hole. i believe this happens because the latches and latch mech need to be lubed periodically. when they get dry and dirty it puts too much stress on the plastic clip. does your outside handle feel like it's not connected to anything?

i got a new clip from my Ford dealer for around $3. they still use the same yellow clip on newer vehicles, so if they can't look it up hopefully they know what to look for. i think you can also buy the clip in a HELP assortment at most auto parts stores, but i prefer to use the OE part as it's stronger. i think i have the part number somewhere.

i can give you a way to get the lift-gate open if you need help with that, although some have reported being able to get the inner trim panel off w/out opening the lift-gate.

Awesome! Yes it would be nice if you could tell me a way of getting that hatch open...

I heard if you take the trim off and un clip the yellow and white clips you can pull on the rods and it will open the door. But the one on the left i cant get to click :/

Awesome! Yes it would be nice if you could tell me a way of getting that hatch open...

I heard if you take the trim off and un clip the yellow and white clips you can pull on the rods and it will open the door. But the one on the left i cant get to click :/

let me see if i can explain this... there is a single metal rod that attaches to the exterior handle (this is the one i believe has pulled off). that rod goes up to a pivot point in the upper center of the lift-gate, which has the rods for the left and right side lift-gate latches. bear in mind that the method i'm about to explain can result in damage to the interior trim panel, but if you warm the plastic with a hair drier first the risk should be minimized. you don't need to undo any clips to get the lift-gate open. the only clip (i believe they will all be yellow) you'll replace is the one on the rod that goes to the exterior handle. make note of where on the rod the old clip was, as it us adjustable. usually it's found in about the center of it's adjustment range.

1.start by using the door "unlock" button, or your key, to unlock the rear glass and lift-gate.

2. open the rear glass.

3. remove the center plug/cover on the plastic interior trim panel near the window latch. under the cover you should see a single screw. remove it. sometimes this screw is missing.

4. after warming the plastic in front of where the window latches, as gently as possible, pry the plastic over the latch. there may be a piece of foam around the window latch. if necessary you can remove the foam. this should give you enough space to look down inside the lift-gate.

5. looking straight down inside the lift-gate, you should see the pivot point where the left and right latch rods are attached. using a long-enough screw driver (or suitable tool) reach down and press on one side of the pivoting piece. sorry i don't recall which side (left?) but one side will push down and the other lifts up. find the side that will allow you to push down, push if and the side latches will unlatch. open the lift-gate.

once the lift-gate is open, the interior trim panel and weather shield can be removed to gain access to the inside of the lift-gate and rods/clips. if you need any help doing this part, let me know.

replace the plastic clip and snap it back into the hole in the exterior lift-gate handle. before closing everything up again, be sure to lube the rod pivot point, latches and the exterior handle hinge.

Back