Rear Shack Bolt.... What The #!@!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Shack Bolt.... What The #!@!!!

projectplatinum

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport 4.0
Hey guys, I can't take it

My passenger rear shackle just broke in half (knew it was getting close). No biggie, it's my extra vehicle. I got the bolt out in the leaf spring but the bolt in the frame is FUSED :thumbdwn: in that bushing.

I cut the cut off to hit it out except I don't have enough room to smack it good. So I dropped the tire, cut the head off and tried to wack it somthing good and nothing. It's like the PB blaster is not penetrating whatsoever.

First of all, the impact would not break anything loose. I'm now bending breaker bars to get the bolt to spin in the bushing with no avail.

I want to throw somthing at this point. Both sides of the bolt are cut flush with the bushing so I have no choice but to pound it out I guess. I grabbed a drill bit and started drilling a hole in the center. Except it is taking forever. I need to get a drill bit worthy of hardened steel I guess.

I searched and found threads with everyone saying just take the bolt out and boom, put the new shackle in! LOL Whatever! :D It makes me sick to my stomach... not really, but you guys no the feeling

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194149&page=4&highlight=97+warrior+shackles

Not sure if that helps.

I used a air hammer to completely knock the inner metal piece out of the frame bushing.. then we pressed a new metal sleeve into the worn out jacked up runner bushing inside the frame...... seems to be working so far!

Drivers side was a snap passenger side took us 3 days or so
You cannot get the part from Ford, they will try to sell you an entire FRAME!!!

There are others on this site that have posted the part number if you wish to replace that bushing in your frame completely, you will need a PRESS for sure, if not more.
We got lucky, there was enough bushing left to add a new inner sleeve....

Sucks................... Why ford made this part of the frame is BEYOND ME

I hear you. I couldn't even get the bolt out of the leaf spring/shackle. It was an absolute nightmare. The bushings freeze to the metal sleeve they're encased in. After fighting with mine for two days, kicking and screaming the whole way, I ended up taking it to a shop becuase i had no impact tools. I had the shop blow the bushings out and bought new ones from the stealership. I think they were able to salvage the top frame bushings. Like 410 said, terrible design by Ford.

frame piece LOL

the frame is one piece :) one big ass piece
Drill the bolt out of that sucker if you can save the bushing best you can

Isn't there a piece welded to the frame that holds the bushing in place? Maybe that was it, or maybe I'm losing my mind and they just told me they couldn't sell it to me at all. It was a while ago. :confused:

no the bushing is machine pressed into the frame rail itself, no sleeve no nothing.
You cannot even buy the bushing according to Ford, but I do believe I have seen on this forum pictures of red urethane bushings pressed into the frame.

So maybe you can torch the old rubber piece out and press in a new bushing, as long as you can source the correct bushing and get a press in there......something I was not up for, we just made do on our 97... still working great!

Gotcha. I guess they just refused to sell it to me. I just remember there being an ordeal at the dealership. When isn't there. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try and keep drilling with a carbide and see what happens today. I'm thinking if I can get enough drilled out maybe I can break the bolt away from the metal bushing. Built Ford Tough!

If all else fails I could buy a ball joint press then, thanks 410.

Back