Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

I found a Ford Certified Tech that will do it for $30.00.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any ford dealer guys on here that can activate the remote access? I can Pm the info and sim card number.

I went back to my dealer with the engine light on and I said that it was funny that my remote start stopped working. It needed a new O2 sensor and backup camera as well. When the tech came back he was puzzled. The tech now thinks if the check engine light comes on it disables the remote start.

Whatever, my new to me remote start works and they didn't charge me anything.

I went back to my dealer with the engine light on and I said that it was funny that my remote start stopped working. It needed a new O2 sensor and backup camera as well. When the tech came back he was puzzled. The tech now thinks if the check engine light comes on it disables the remote start.

Whatever, my new to me remote start works and they didn't charge me anything.

CEL does disable remote start. Please read the owners manual on remote start and reasons why it fails to remote start. It is covered in it.

I did read it. Maybe you missed the past few days when I emailed you and posted here that my dealer wouldn't enable my remote start.

I told the new tech to please double check that my remote start was still enabled (it never was) after they repaired my O2 sensor.

They are the ones that think that somehow the check engine light caused the permanent disabling of the remote start.

I'm just happy they enabled it without charging me.

Recently purchased an IKT (5 button) from Jason, and took it Wayne Pitman Ford in Guelph, with instructions in hand.

They were skeptical it would work, but nonetheless tried, and after a short period the lead tech came out and told me it worked. He and all others in the shop had never heard of this, so the surprise level was high.

Note that I bought an IKT (4 button) from another online retailer (before I read this thread), and while me programming it allows for starting the car, the remote buttons don't work. Any ideas?

Lastly, Wayne Pitman was good to deal with. If you live in the region I suggest going there...another dealer close by told me flat out "no - we're not even willing to try. buy our $$$ kit". Fits with previous experiences with them.

One issue I am having is that the heated seats do not stay on when the remote start is activated. I had it set to "last user setting" but still goes off. Has anyone experienced this issue.

The lights for any of the climate control stuff will not function during remote start. The items still work however. The seats may be tied into temperature even in the last user setting?

Has this been clarified yet? I just had mine done, and can confirm that the heated seat light does not light when remote started. Yet to try if the actual seat warms up (even though the light isn't on).

Key ordered. Hoping that my local dealership will be willing to listen to a customer about programming. I ran into this type of thing once before when I had them activate my DRL's - it was like pulling teeth to get them to do it, but they were happy they did it when we were done.

It cost $100, but the remote start works and the dealer cut and programmed the key I bought from jmr061. Happy that everything is working properly.

Will these new keys become the new primary keys? (as far as getting the MyKey Restricted messages with the two keys I currently have)

Will these new keys become the new primary keys? (as far as getting the MyKey Restricted messages with the two keys I currently have)

If the only keys you have are mykey limited I doubt you can use them to self program new keys. You need to go to the dealer and have them wipe the keys and add your existing ones as normal keys or if you are getting remote start get new keys, have remote start enabled, then have the dealer wipe the existing keys and program the new ones.

If the only keys you have are mykey limited I doubt you can use them to self program new keys. You need to go to the dealer and have them wipe the keys and add your existing ones as normal keys or if you are getting remote start get new keys, have remote start enabled, then have the dealer wipe the existing keys and program the new ones.

Thank you for clarifying this.

I took the blank to Home Depot. On a $2 key, I had the associate do a practice run. I went out to the car and I worked.

What do you mean by "it worked"? were you able to start the car using that $2 key? I did the same thing at my local home depot. the guy was hesitant but i told him i was going to pay for it anyways. I went out, I was able to unlock the doors, and even turn the key all the way to the ON position with the $2 key, but i wasn't able to start the car. Still I thought that was good enough indication that things were going to work out just fine so i went back and told him to go ahead and cut the blank key i had (i did not buy it from Jason by the way). Went back to the car and again, i was able to unlock the doors (putting the key inside the door lock), and also able to switch the ignition all the way to ON but not able to start the car (just like with the $2 key). i did the programming following the instructions of the manual to a T. Then, with the new key i was finally able to start the car BUT, none of the 4 buttons actually worked (the 5th button, remote start, i wasn't expecting it to work since i haven't taken the car to dealer to enable remote start).

What could be the problem? mine was a used car, maybe the previous owner had 4 IKT's already programmed? by the way, i changed the battery that came pre-installed inside the new key, and that for sure is not the problem. :(

What do you mean by "it worked"? were you able to start the car using that $2 key? I did the same thing at my local home depot. the guy was hesitant but i told him i was going to pay for it anyways. I went out, I was able to unlock the doors, and even turn the key all the way to the ON position with the $2 key, but i wasn't able to start the car. Still I thought that was good enough indication that things were going to work out just fine so i went back and told him to go ahead and cut the blank key i had (i did not buy it from Jason by the way). Went back to the car and again, i was able to unlock the doors (putting the key inside the door lock), and also able to switch the ignition all the way to ON but not able to start the car (just like with the $2 key). i did the programming following the instructions of the manual to a T. Then, with the new key i was finally able to start the car BUT, none of the 4 buttons actually worked (the 5th button, remote start, i wasn't expecting it to work since i haven't taken the car to dealer to enable remote start).

What could be the problem? mine was a used car, maybe the previous owner had 4 IKT's already programmed? by the way, i changed the battery that came pre-installed inside the new key, and that for sure is not the problem. :(

Did you get one of those cheap china clones from ebay?

Did you get one of those cheap china clones from ebay?

yes, i am guilty, of buying off of ebay :( if it's a cheap china clone, how can i tell? the seller doesn't mention where he got it from (surprise?), and it wasn't that cheap after all but less expensive nonetheless.

yes, i am guilty, of buying off of ebay :( if it's a cheap china clone, how can i tell? the seller doesn't mention where he got it from (surprise?), and it wasn't that cheap after all but less expensive nonetheless.

Got the link for the auction?

Got the link for the auction?

it's ok, the key works now. i only hope it doesn't break too soon, so i'll try to handle it with care. and if it does, i made sure to buy 2 of those ;)

Note that I bought an IKT (4 button) from another online retailer (before I read this thread), and while me programming it allows for starting the car, the remote buttons don't work. Any ideas?

If someone reading this, has run into the same problem, keep reading :D

I took the blank to Home Depot. On a $2 key, I had the associate do a practice run. I went out to the car and I worked. Then, with apprehension, I let him cut the blank from the dealership. I walked out and it worked. I sat in the parking lot and did the programming on the 3rd key in about 5 minutes. got out and fired up my remote start for the first time. Love it!!

So, the cheap china clone does work. this is what i learned today (and yesterday):

- the $2 key that philgli is talking about, i could be wrong but i think he couldn't start the car just like my key wasn't able to do it the very first time i tried. He probably meant he was able to unlock doors and turn the ignition to the ON (RUN) position, right before where you start the car.

- yes, home depot and i bet any hardware store can cut your blank key. Geez! dealers and locksmiths charge you an eye for this. you can try on a cheap key first just to be safe the same way philgli and i did.

- programming your key (at least with the cheap china clones) consists of two different procedures:

a) Transponder Key Programming, and;
b) Keyless Entry Remote Programming.

For the transponder part, that's where you have to have 2 original keys, if not, you will have to take it to the dealer to have it programmed. the instructions are on page 85 of the owner's manual (2013 explorer, december 2012, fourth printing, at least). if you accomplish this, your key will start the car, but the remote control won't work. that was my problem yesterday, i didn't know i had to do something else.

now, after the transponder key has been programmed, do this (again, i have a 2013 explorer, and i believe, am not sure, it maybe slightly different for other year/generation):

1. Turn ignition from Off to Run 8 times ending in Run (Do not start the car, run position is just before the vehicle will start. Off is turned all the way back when the key can be removed from the ignition ). Must be performed within 10 seconds. Locks will cycle signaling entering into programming mode. Keep foot off brake pedal.

2. Press any button on the remote being programmed, locks cycle confirming programming. Repeat this step for any addition remotes.

3. Turn key to off, locks will cycle to end programming mode.

And that did it! :) when i said the instructions could be slightly different it's because i found some websites where it says one has to close all doors but keep the driver's door open, i didn't do that, but it could be true, for example, for the 2011 model, i just ignore it. Here are the websites:

http://goo.gl/g9VH7E
http://goo.gl/8kghY2
http://goo.gl/xud7I9

Next, a visit to the dealer to have the remote start enabled. I will leave a message about that part of the experience once i get it all done. crossing my fingers that 5th button actually works :p

:cool::cool::cool::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

it's ok, the key works now. i only hope it doesn't break too soon, so i'll try to handle it with care. and if it does, i made sure to buy 2 of those ;)

If someone reading this, has run into the same problem, keep reading :D

So, the cheap china clone does work. this is what i learned today (and yesterday):

- the $2 key that philgli is talking about, i could be wrong but i think he couldn't start the car just like my key wasn't able to do it the very first time i tried. He probably meant he was able to unlock doors and turn the ignition to the ON (RUN) position, right before where you start the car.

- yes, home depot and i bet any hardware store can cut your blank key. Geez! dealers and locksmiths charge you an eye for this. you can try on a cheap key first just to be safe the same way philgli and i did.

- programming your key (at least with the cheap china clones) consists of two different procedures:

a) Transponder Key Programming, and;
b) Keyless Entry Remote Programming.

For the transponder part, that's where you have to have 2 original keys, if not, you will have to take it to the dealer to have it programmed. the instructions are on page 85 of the owner's manual (2013 explorer, december 2012, fourth printing, at least). if you accomplish this, your key will start the car, but the remote control won't work. that was my problem yesterday, i didn't know i had to do something else.

now, after the transponder key has been programmed, do this (again, i have a 2013 explorer, and i believe, am not sure, it maybe slightly different for other year/generation):

1. Turn ignition from Off to Run 8 times ending in Run (Do not start the car, run position is just before the vehicle will start. Off is turned all the way back when the key can be removed from the ignition ). Must be performed within 10 seconds. Locks will cycle signaling entering into programming mode. Keep foot off brake pedal.

2. Press any button on the remote being programmed, locks cycle confirming programming. Repeat this step for any addition remotes.

3. Turn key to off, locks will cycle to end programming mode.

And that did it! :) when i said the instructions could be slightly different it's because i found some websites where it says one has to close all doors but keep the driver's door open, i didn't do that, but it could be true, for example, for the 2011 model, i just ignore it. Here are the websites:

http://goo.gl/g9VH7E
http://goo.gl/8kghY2
http://goo.gl/xud7I9

Next, a visit to the dealer to have the remote start enabled. I will leave a message about that part of the experience once i get it all done. crossing my fingers that 5th button actually works :p

:cool::cool::cool::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Yes that is how the china clones work. Be warned however (this is personal and others' experiences) they tend to fail quickly and have very poor range compared to OEM keys. Some have only had like 3 ft of range as others up to about 100'. OEM keys should have 300'.

Yes that is how the china clones work. Be warned however (this is personal and others' experiences) they tend to fail quickly and have very poor range compared to OEM keys. Some have only had like 3 ft of range as others up to about 100'. OEM keys should have 300'.

glad you brought that up. i just tested my key. it works from the inside of my apartment, second floor. i am a happy camper now. :)

Codes?

Jason,

i have this other car with a Viper remote starter (didn't come with the car), very simple, only 1 button, but when i press the button once, it starts the car, when i am ready to jump in the car, i press the button once again while the car is running and unlocks the doors, if while i am driving i need to stop and get off the car and don't want to turn off the engine, i press the button 3 times and i can remove the key from ignition, etc etc .... do you know if the same can be done with the explorer's 5 button remote? (regardless if OEM or chinamade) are there any different codes?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jason,

i have this other car with a Viper remote starter (didn't come with the car), very simple, only 1 button, but when i press the button once, it starts the car, when i am ready to jump in the car, i press the button once again while the car is running and unlocks the doors, if while i am driving i need to stop and get off the car and don't want to turn off the engine, i press the button 3 times and i can remove the key from ignition, etc etc .... do you know if the same can be done with the explorer's 5 button remote? (regardless if OEM or chinamade) are there any different codes?

Thanks.
Please add the model of your Ex to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Back