Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

If you have the 2x button, you should have had it from the factory.

If the option is missing from the IPC, you might have a misbuilt Explorer to the extent that the wrong ABD was in the cluster and BCM (not likely, but possible). Or, someone was fiddling with it and didn't re-code in the right data before it landed in your hands.

You can:
* Go to the dealer to have them re-load the default parameters for the IPC and BCM using their IDS scan tool;
* Use FORScan to enable the Remote Start option in the BCM (it's a pre-built parameter in the software last I checked)
* Use FORScan to re-input the correct values yourself from the as-built site generator from Ford, but that's extremely tedious and annoying.

As for me, I'd strongly recommend #1... if there's bad ABD it wouldn't be a bad idea to have them both reloaded in the easiest way possible with the scan tool. I'm capable enough at this point to do it myself, but if I weren't, it'd be $100 well spent--it wouldn't be more than an hour of shoptime (rounding up) to reload those units. If they ask for more money than what one hour of labor is, they're crazy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jason, it appears that he doesn't have the Remote Start option in the left information screen under Settings/Vehicle. I wanted him to check to make sure it was 'Enabled' but he was unable to do that.

Peter

^ I would agree with Jason having him double check, it's highly unlikely that the option is truly missing from the IPC. If it is, that would be the first case any of us have seen of it.

Ok OK thanks to the vid above I now know I was looking in the wrong place. Like I said new to this vehicle. Sorry gentlemen for wasting ur mental power on me not having the Option.

I went in and Enabled Remote start and put the seats on Auto etc....however the vehicle still will not start when I press the key fob

Don't give up on me I feel like I'm almost there

Do you have the Owner's Manual? That would be a good place to read up on the various displays and the functions of each. I'm guessing you were probably looking at the MFT screen?;)

Peter

If you are getting a honk, do you have a check engine light? Unless its CEL or battery (which has to be super low voltage) it should start.

I am new to this forum and have learned some great things reading this thread. I want to put the remote start on my explorer. If I understand right it is already programed and just needs unlocked. I checked and has the hood pin. I'm going to order keys soon but wanted to make sure my info was correct.
Hood pin I have.
Buy Oem keys. Do you have a recommended seller?
I see some people bought a tool to use the forescan and change info on ids on there own. Is this what i would need. Then download forescan and hook up to vehicle and enable the RS
Program keys and then test it correct.

What scanner did everybody buy? I found one on Amazon and looks like it would work but just want to make sure I have everything correct first.
Thanks all

So if I have read this correctly, I can purchase 2 new IKT 4 button keys (part #BB5Z-19G364-A ) from the OP Jason, and then use my 2 original OEM keys to program the new 4 button keys myself without having to go into a dealer for them to do anything? I have a 2014 XLT so it should already be equipped with the other necessary stuff for remote start.

Ta-da I am done....correct?

So I'm late to adding the remote start option to my explorer.
I have a 2011 XLT with 202A sync. It does have the hood switch.
I don't have powerliftgate.
If I read all this correctly, all I need to do is get a 4 button key as mentioned in my quote, cut, program the key to the vehicle (I have done this before on simple keys for the explorer) and then have the dealership enable the remote start option??? Seems pretty easy, thanks!

Also, what is the cheapest place online to buy a four button key fob part #BB5Z-19G364-A?

***11/14/17 - I still get daily emails asking if I sell key fobs (IKTs)....I don't. I also get daily emails asking about the ignorance of dealers not knowing they can do this and asking me to contact them or where is a dealer that can do it. Sorry I am not going to do this and I don't keep a list of dealers that know they can it.

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer with a ford bi-direction start that was added when we purchased it new...has 37,000 miles on it. We had to replace the battery in the remote start fob, now both key key fobs stopped working. Tried the on off 8 times, locks cycled but nothing. Remote start works and lockes, open door with manual lock ...Alarm warning to insert key. Also the keyless entry stoped too. Any ideas

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer with a ford bi-direction start that was added when we purchased it new...has 37,000 miles on it. We had to replace the battery in the remote start fob, now both key key fobs stopped working. Tried the on off 8 times, locks cycled but nothing. Remote start works and lockes, open door with manual lock ...Alarm warning to insert key. Also the keyless entry stoped too. Any ideas
When you say "keyless entry" I'm guessing that you are referring to the Securicode Pad and not the black rectangle on the door handle. Does that keypad light up when you swipe it? If so, are you able to or have you tried the using the locking sequence on it? I'm not familiar with all the steps involved in setting up the aftermarket remote start but you did say it works. I wonder if some other programming was involved in setting it up when it was added. If it was, I don't see how changing the battery in the fob would affect it. Did you try changing the battery in the other key?
Please add the now 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Hey guys, finally added the remote start to our 2013! I enabled it through Forscan, ordered the new key, had the key cut and just finished programming it. I would like to add some clarification to the key programming process. I followed the Ford manual programming steps (insert one key, turn on, wait 3 sec, turn off, insert next key......etc) however I still had issues. I have the integrated key head/fob with the key exposed, not just the fob with hidden key. This is what I found pertaining to my keys:

"Programming" the key is a loose term. Getting the new key to work with the car requires two steps: programming the key to the car, and programming the fob to the car. To program the key to the car I followed Ford's instructions (insert one key, turn on, wait 3 sec, turn off, insert next key......etc) and I did confirm that I did now have 3 Admin keys programmed via the Vehicle tab on the left IPC. However my fob would not work. I couldn't lock, unlock, panic, or remote start at all. I tried the programming sequence 3 times and it didn't make the fob work. Some googling revealed another process. Using an already programmed key put it in the ignition and cycle the ignition on and off rapidly for quite a few cycles until the door locks lock and then unlock. Then press the lock button on the fob for each key you want to program (I was only programming one new key so I only pressed it on that one key). The door locks cycled again one more time confirming the button press. Now all my fob buttons worked including remote start!

Now my new 4 button key works 100%. It starts the car, locks and unlocks, panics, remote starts............but I have one problem. When I use the new key to start the car I get a yellow warning on the left IPC that says "Key could not be programmed. Press OK to continue". I press OK and the message goes away and everything is normal. I can drive with no problems at all, as if it is just fine. I don't understand why it is saying it couldn't be programmed when it is functioning perfectly. Any ideas on this? Is there a way to go in through Forscan and look at the keys programmed to the car and see whats going on?

"Programming" the key is a loose term. Getting the new key to work with the car requires two steps: programming the key to the car, and programming the fob to the car. To program the key to the car I followed Ford's instructions (insert one key, turn on, wait 3 sec, turn off, insert next key......etc) and I did confirm that I did now have 3 Admin keys programmed via the Vehicle tab on the left IPC. However my fob would not work. I couldn't lock, unlock, panic, or remote start at all. I tried the programming sequence 3 times and it didn't make the fob work. Some googling revealed another process. Using an already programmed key put it in the ignition and cycle the ignition on and off rapidly for quite a few cycles until the door locks lock and then unlock. Then press the lock button on the fob for each key you want to program (I was only programming one new key so I only pressed it on that one key). The door locks cycled again one more time confirming the button press. Now all my fob buttons worked including remote start!

Now my new 4 button key works 100%. It starts the car, locks and unlocks, panics, remote starts

The reason you had to go through two programming processes for the keys is because they are NOT OEM keys. They are aftermarket.

Is that why I'm getting the programming error?

Did you have any issues programming your aftermarket key?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if there is a battery that can be replaced in the key FOB? If so, how do you pop it open? We've had the remote start key since 2013 and now it barely works to even open the door. I tried a quick search but nothing popped up. Thanks for any help.

Back