Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

Welcome to the Forum RedBKM.:wave:
I guess persistence pays off at times.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So can I ask, what happened to your key? Why did it lose programming? Again, I haven't read all 19 pages. The last time I was in this thread reading was a few years ago when I leased my 15 Explorer and got it's remote start system working.

No idea. I knew right from the get go that something wasn't right when I programmed it and the key count on the car increased but I got the error that it couldn't be programmed, even though the key worked perfectly. It just quit working.

Did you try putting in the 'emergency' slot and then attempt to start the vehicle? Perhaps it was a bad battery in the fob.

Peter

I don't have an emergency slot, I have to insert the key every time to start the car. If it was a bad battery in the fob then the buttons shouldn't have worked, and they did, it even still remote started. Haha. I ordered new keys from another company that guarantees they will program. I'll be taking them to Lowes to be cut today and will try them out. Hopefully these will work better.

On another note my uncle is asking how to enable his remote start on his 2014 F150. He has the hood switch and key already but someone is telling him he needs an antenna. I was explaining to him the Forscan process but would he need the antenna? For our Explorers that is only needed for the "long range" system right? Just hoping someone here might know a little on the F150

Programmed my new keys to the Explorer today, not a single problem or error. My only concern now is that I have 5 keys programmed to the car and I returned the key that didn't work. So know there is a key out there that at least has the fob programmed to our car. Oh well. I don't want to wipe out all the keys and start over. Even with Forscan programming PATS keys that way makes me nervous.

Here is my experience with this project...

I have a 2011 XLT. I started this whole process with 3 original Ford OEM keys that I received all together when I bought the vehicle used from a Ford Dealer in 2012. All 3 of them are 4 button keys and they all still work fine. Vehicle did not come with remote start.

I first bought an ELM327 from ebay. Description was: bbfly-BF3202 ELM327 modified FTDI chip OBD2 Forscan HS MS CAN ($27) This is the version wit a USB connector and the toggle switch to change speeds.

Then I installed Forscan on an old laptop.

Following directions from other users, I was able to run Forscan and activate the Remote Start feature, and also activate the menus in the Instrument panel. My vehicle has heated seats but no heated steering wheel. All i had to change were two values... one for the As Built Body Control Module to activate Remote Start and one for the Instrument panel to enable the menu choices. Everything seemed to work flawlessly with no errors. I was able to find the new Remote Start features in the menu and set them up the way I wanted.

Then I started looking for new keys.

I wound up buying 2 aftermarket 5 button keys from ebay again. Description was "Replacement for CWTWB1U793 Keyless Entry Remote Start Car Key Fob Control 5b" ($23 per key)

I went to 3 different hardware stores in the area before I found someone willing to cut the new keys. Finally a nice guy at the Ace in Geneva IL simply cut them on an old fashioned key machine - the same one they would use to make new house keys for you. The keys inserted into my vehicle just fine and everything powered up just fine - except of course they would not start the vehicle yet.

Then I came home and tried to program the new keys.

I was able to go through the procedure to get both new keys to start the car when used in the ignition switch. (insert two old keys, then new key, etc...) But both of them started throwing errors on the dash even after they started working.

One would say "Could Not Program integrated Key" and the other would say "starting system fault"

When I then tried to program the FOB to work on each new key by inserting into ignition, turning on/off several times and then pressing lock button - one of them started working - and one did not.

Both will still start the vehicle in the ignition switch - but only one seems to work as a remote key fob now.

At least on the working key - Remote start is actually working! However when this key is inserted into the ignition, it still says "Could not Program Integrated Key"

The other key - I am not sure about. I am going to go out and try to re-program it again later.

Questions:

Should I be worried that my one working key will start to not work again, since it is still throwing that error?
Any suggestions on getting both keys to work better?
Is there a limit to how many keys I can have programmed to the same vehicle?

Finally - should I just break down and go to a Ford dealer to buy two OEM keys?

Thanks to everyone here who added info over time that allowed me to attempt this!

-Zim

I had the same exact error with one of my aftermarket keys. It worked, started the car, remote start worked, just got an error could not program key. It eventually stopped working altogether about 3 weeks later. I bought two more keys from a seller on Amazon that guarantees programming, haven't had a single problem with them and no errors

Screenshot_20180110-123813.png

Looking for some advice...

I did go ahead and buy a pair of keys from the "USAREMOTE" vendor sold through Amazon as above - however, my explorer has a power lift gate, so I needed the 5 button version - which is what I bought.

I went though getting them cut, programming them to start the vehicle in the ignition, and getting the remote buttons to work.

With the first pair of keys I originally bought through ebay, only the first one I programmed (#1) will start the vehicle remotely using the button on the key.

The 2nd one I programmed at the same time as the first (#2) , and now both of these new keys I just bought from the vendor above (#3 and #4) all work exactly as they should, except that the remote start button does nothing on #2, #3, or #4.

I kind of doubt that I am only allowed to have one remote start key that works - but maybe that is it?

If not - does anyone have any suggestions? How do I get the remote start buttons to work on the other 3 keys?

Thanks!

-Zim

Really quick question. If I wanted to increase the range of my remote start and I buy the antenna for it and plug it into the tpms in the center consol?

tried it, not sure if the range actually increased over the key with built in remote range. I placed the antenna on top of a headrest temporarily (uses the 8" wide plastic antenna). Was still very inconsistent at best

The add on remote start module with the 2" wide rectangular antenna will increase the range for sure to several hundred feet at least.

I also would only buy a key off ebay that has had quite a few sold, they would be the most reliable

[The] Intelligent Access (IA) system. This has a hidden keyblade for unlocking the door in a "emergency" situation such as a dead battery. This system is used for push button start vehicles. The remote start FOB for IA also has a button with the arrow tipped circle with the number "2" in the middle of it. To my knowledge all IA Explorers have remote start enabled from the factory. If this is no[t] true please correct me.
Thank you for your awesome work on this thread! I bought my 2014 Explorer Sport wrecked and repaired. I'm guessing it came equipped with Remote Start activated as you suggest. I have two "arrow" fobs. It is "Push-to-Start" The RS items are currently included on the dash "Settings" menu. There is no hood switch or hood switch wiring present -- just the hole where the hood switch would be. When I try to activate the RS, the lights flash and the horn beeps. Could this be as "simple" as installing the hood switch and wiring? (I gather the wire routing is not all that simple.) I'm fairly "handy" but I don't relish the thought of "frying" myself or some innocent bystander component(s).

More datapoints: The Key status shows "4 Admin Keys Programmed". I have two physical IA "arrow" fobs. Should this concern me? Would this have any effect on RS? Can/should I clear this setting so it reflects "2 Admin Keys"?

[silly idea withdrawn]The thought occurs to me that if the hood switch simply closes a circuit to allow the RS circuitry to operate, Can I "jump" that connection under the dash or elsewhere in order to test whether the installation of a proper switch would enable the RS system or not? What two wires would I "jump" to accomplish this?[/silly idea withdrawn]

My seller says all he knows is RS did not work when he got the car. It did not have a hood when he got it.

The "sticker" that came with the car shows that EQUIPMENT GROUP 401A is included on the vehicle and explicitly including Remote Start.

The local dealer is reluctant to look at the car because it <apparently> has an incomplete factory RS setup.

I have located these instructions which appear to be correct for the 2014 Explorer. Please confirm if these directions are not for a 2014 Explorer, Intelligent Access (5 button "arrow" fob) Push to Start?

Your insights are appreciated. Many Thanks.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Update... I purchased a FTDI USB adapter on ebay and downloaded Forscan. I enabled my foglights for DRLs and remote start. I was a little confused at first because "Remote Start" did not show up in the As Built list. I found the number 726-19-01 in the non as built list however. I'm not sure why some Youtube videos show this in As Built.

Also, I skipped the IPC remote start options for heated seats because I thought that would make them come on in the summer. I learned that you have to select something or the remote start will not work at all. My original value for 720-01-03 was 0083 (which is not listed). Not changing this value will keep the remote start from working! You must choose either C8F3, F823, FC27.

[post content moved to #468]

Hello. Does anyone know if Jason with pi mods is still on here? I have called and emailed him with no response.

Hello. Does anyone know if Jason with pi mods is still on here? I have called and emailed him with no response.
Hi Jerry. Yes Jason, jmr061, is still around. Have you PM'd him?

Peter

Is this something one could do with any 2011-2015 Ford? For example, will the same procedure and same forscan details work with for example - a 2015 Fusion?

Is this something one could do with any 2011-2015 Ford? For example, will the same procedure and same forscan details work with for example - a 2015 Fusion?

No. The fusion is a different platform.

Ok, just to clarify. I just bought a used 2013 Explorer XLT. I do have the hoot pin so I am assuming I have the remote start hardware already installed as reading through these 20 pages of this thread, I believe I read that all 2011-2015 xlt explorers have this already installed. Just want to confirm that if not enabled already I can use Forscan to enable it or find a dealer that will do this via their IDS software. I do have two factory OEM 4 button keys that came with the truck and it does have a power Lifegate. Is the only thing I need to do other than have remote start enabled, is to purchase two new OEM keys, have them cut and program them myself as per the manual? Also, if in my left set of menu's I see an option for remote start, does that mean it's already enabled?

Ok, just to clarify. I just bought a used 2013 Explorer XLT. I do have the hoot pin so I am assuming I have the remote start hardware already installed as reading through these 20 pages of this thread, I believe I read that all 2011-2015 xlt explorers have this already installed. Just want to confirm that if not enabled already I can use Forscan to enable it or find a dealer that will do this via their IDS software. I do have two factory OEM 4 button keys that came with the truck and it does have a power Lifegate. Is the only thing I need to do other than have remote start enabled, is to purchase two new OEM keys, have them cut and program them myself as per the manual? Also, if in my left set of menu's I see an option for remote start, does that mean it's already enabled?

I too have a 2013 XLT, bought it December 2017. First thing I did was get the Remote Start turned on by the dealership I was buying it from. They tried to bok but I got them talked into just changing the setting and call it good.
BUT, since you have the setting in your menu, I thought that it meant it is turned on?? Best bet, buy the keys first, and program them (yes, do it yourself, easy if you know the procedure).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is a pre drilled hole for the pin switch and should be a harness with a dead jack( filler ) in it.

Back